Membership Rewards points on death of card member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
I've read several threads on AFF in the past about QFF points being lost as soon as Qantas are told of the death of the QFF account holder and I've told my Wife that if anything happens to me to transfer all QFF points to her account as soon as possible, before QF is notified. I only recently thought about what would happen to MR points in the same circumstances.

I've had the Platinum Charge card for around 6 years and since they changed the points earning structure from 1.5 ppd to the 3-2-1 scheme we only put travel, overseas and restaurant spend on the charge card so most of our Amex spend went onto bank issued Amex cards with direct transfer to QFF and our Membership Rewards balance was never really high.

Since I got an Explorer card at the beginning of the year we've been putting all our Amex expenditure on that to earn 2 ppd in Ascent Premium so we now have a higher Membership Rewards points balance than in QFF.

I haven't seen mention in previous threads and I couldn't see anything listed in the Membership Rewards T & Cs so I am interested if anyone has heard what happens to MR balances in the event of the death of the primary cardholder.

I don't know if the points are lost once Amex are notified as with QFF or if the spouse can have MR points transferred to an account in her name, (which would have to be a newly opened account as she doesn't currently have her own Amex account). I'm guessing that the best advice would be for her to transfer all MR to my QFF or other desired FF program account and then transfer to her account ASAP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back