May I still have the bonus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary. Wang

Suspended
I was hoping to apply an AMEX explorer. But I already have an David Jones Amex.
Can I still get the 60,000 opening bonus? I was told that I cannot have any Amex card in last 18 months to get the bonus. Is DJ AMEX an exception?

There is talk of this on other AMEX threads. Last time I looked yes, you can get the DJs bonus sign whilst already holding an AMEX card. And, vice versa, DJs AMEX is the exception. Have a look for the referrals thread to get more points for you and for the referee.

There is talk of this on other AMEX threads. Last time I looked yes, you can get the DJs bonus sign whilst already holding an AMEX card. And, vice versa, DJs AMEX is the exception. Have a look for the referrals thread to get more points for you and for the referee.
thank you so much. But another guy told me differently so I was confused. I am so happy now

My experience:
I currently hold Velocity Escape and Platinum Edge; applied for David Jones Amex. Was told I would need to drop one of the two existing cards and no, I would not be eligible for a sign-up bonus.

My experience:
I currently hold Velocity Escape and Platinum Edge; applied for David Jones Amex. Was told I would need to drop one of the two existing cards and no, I would not be eligible for a sign-up bonus.

Will you get the bonus if you choose to drop one card?

I had 3 amex cards which i kept when i applied for the dj amex for which i got the bonus as well.

I had 3 amex cards which i kept when i applied for the dj amex for which i got the bonus as well.

Thank you for sharing. But you got me confusing again. I was told that one could only have two AMEX maximum. How come you could have three and applying fourth?

Thank you for sharing. But you got me confusing again. I was told that one could only have two AMEX maximum. How come you could have three and applying fourth?

I believe you are allowed to have two Amex credit cards and two Amex charge cards.

I have an Edge, Reserve and Platinum Charge at the moment (2+1)....

I believe you are allowed to have two Amex credit cards and two Amex charge cards.

I have an Edge, Reserve and Platinum Charge at the moment (2+1)....

From what I've read, you can only have 1 x Personal Charge, 2 x Personal Credit card and 1 x DJ Amex Personal Card.
Experiences may differ for person to person

When I had the DJs Amex 6 months ago - I wanted the Amex Ultimate.

The Amex call centre confirmed with their manager for me that the DJ Amex was "not a real Amex" as it was through DJs, so therefore if I signed up to the "real Amex" I would get the bonus points as I hadn't held a real Amex in the last 12 months.

I signed up, and got the bonus points. Hope this helps!

I agree with the above post as well - when I had the Qantas Discovery Cred Card, I also had the Velocity Credit Card, and wanted another Amex Credit Card, but they said you could only ever have 2 Amex Credit Cards live at the same time.

Are they strict on the 18 month exception for getting a bonus?

Recently yes. If AFF members are getting around this 18 month exclusion period they aren't posting about it.

The Amex call centre confirmed with their manager for me that the DJ Amex was "not a real Amex" as it was through DJs, so therefore if I signed up to the "real Amex" I would get the bonus points as I hadn't held a real Amex in the last 12 months.

I agree with the above post as well - when I had the Qantas Discovery Cred Card, I also had the Velocity Credit Card, and wanted another Amex Credit Card, but they said you could only ever have 2 Amex Credit Cards live at the same time.
Thank you. Now I understand better.

This is exactly my understanding from talking to AMEX directly as well.

Yes, the DJ cards are issued by AMEX, but on behalf of DJ's and for this reason are treated completely separate to all the other AMEX cards.

A year or so ago, they used to be very lax about the then 12 month exclusion period, but as others have said, when they changed it to 18 months they really started cracking down on it and there are very few people that have received any bonus points when having held an Amex in the last 18 months (DJ's card excepted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back