Maximum velocity points combo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sogg

Intern
Hi Guys,
Want to try and clear up my wallet from the credit cards i have obtained over the years.
I have the following
-Virgin money flyer visa
-Amex Velocity Platinum
-Commonwealth Diamond MC and Amex
-NAB Platinum

Im thinking of ditching the Nab and commonwealth cards and upgrading the virgin to a high flyer and keeping the amex velocity. But now that the points earn on amex is changing is it worth it to keep my Commbank Amex (3pt per $1, 2-1 redeem for velocity= 1.5pt per $) as opposed to the amex velocity?

depends on how much annual fees all those cards have

NAB have a Velocity Platinum (amex + visa) card for $150 that gives you 1.5 velocity points/$1...you could get rid of AMEX Velocity, CommBank and NAB Platinum...this would free you up for any upcoming AMEX bonus points on new accounts

if you get the NAB Velocity Platinum and keep the Virgin Money Visa, you'd be paying $150 + $129 in annual fees (total $279 annually, cheaper than the single Virgin High Flyer at only 1.25 points) and have 1.5 points on NAB and 1 point on Virgin VISA

currently offering 17,000 bonus points
NAB Specials | Velocity Frequent Flyer

Hi Guys,
Want to try and clear up my wallet from the credit cards i have obtained over the years.
I have the following
-Virgin money flyer visa
-Amex Velocity Platinum
-Commonwealth Diamond MC and Amex
-NAB Platinum

Im thinking of ditching the Nab and commonwealth cards and upgrading the virgin to a high flyer and keeping the amex velocity. But now that the points earn on amex is changing is it worth it to keep my Commbank Amex (3pt per $1, 2-1 redeem for velocity= 1.5pt per $) as opposed to the amex velocity?

It is pretty hard to comment without knowing your spend patterns...

I wasn't too sure about the Amex changes but now that I've been earning under the new structure for some time I've found the 2 points for travel and the 3 points for restaurants to be particularly attractive because I love to stuff my face and love doing it places other than my home city!

The CBA and Nab cards seem to be doing similar things so I don't think you would need both of those - the decision to get rid of one or both of them really depends on your overall spend pattern and whether you get either of them free through a bank package etc etc.

depends on how much annual fees all those cards have
The NAB platinum i get for free with my mortgage, and the commbank diamond i get at the gold rate ( i think $144) as i was offered platinum and then diamond at the same rate

It is pretty hard to comment without knowing your spend patterns...
Generally everything that can be paid on credit card goes on credit card, Wherever Amex is accepted and there is a reasonable surcharge i will use it. I was going to upgrade to the highflyer card as there is no cap on points, whereas with the standard flyer card after $1500, which i will pass easily

The CBA and Nab cards seem to be doing similar things so I don't think you would need both of those - the decision to get rid of one or both of them really depends on your overall spend pattern and whether you get either of them free through a bank package etc etc.
I will call up Nab today and see if they will change my Platinum to the Velocity premium for the same rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back