Making payments that exceed your credit limit on an Amex card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steady

Qantas
LT Gold
Hi, I have seen some references scattered through other posts but now I want them I cannot find them...

I have picked up the new Amex Explorer card and they only gave me a $4.8k limit. I have a $6k and $1k payment that I want to make on this card over the weekend (both will be done on an old manual imprint machine and processed during the following week if relevant) The card has a zero balance now.

Can I dump say $3-6k on it today putting it into a positive balance to cover the payments? Will this work, are there any repercussions for doing this?

havent tried this for a few years but in the past it was always a no-no with Amex, their system does not recognise a credit balance when authorising charges - even if it is manual they would have to call for an authorisation code for a charge that high which would be declined. you would then likely have the credit team calling you to get the balance refunded and asking why you overpaid the account.

havent tried this for a few years but in the past it was always a no-no with Amex, their system does not recognise a credit balance when authorising charges - even if it is manual they would have to call for an authorisation code for a charge that high which would be declined. you would then likely have the credit team calling you to get the balance refunded and asking why you overpaid the account.

Thanks yohy, not what I wanted to hear but better to find out now so I can find another way.

My current MC has a realistic limit so could use that but I want to build up some MR points - while my OP has been answered, I may as well ask if a MC or Visa be put into credit for future reference?

(Paypal payments receive points, I may be able to pre pay half now, pay it off and then when the other half is manually processed next week it wont go over the limit)

I have put my CBA visa/Amex account into credit to make an unusually large payment. No problem. The only thing to note is that if you make a cash withdrawal you will be charged the cash advance fee even though you are only withdrawing your own money.

Hi Steady, have accidentally overpaid a higher amount off my M'Card, went into a credit balance Both online & printed staement reported as credit balance. Suggest ring Amex & ask for a special clearance with option of cash loading the card, but you will need to understand the quickest clearance days, BPay can take longer 1-3 days than paying cash directly to the card at the issuing bank (bank issued cards clear cash deposits instantly & not overnight). I used to cash load my 28 degrees before o/s, works like a cash debit card then reverts to credit once cash is burnt. Good luck.

please note that my experience (and the OPs Questions) relate to Amex issued cards - as Amex does not operate as bank in Australia there will be significant differences in how this scenario is handled.

with respect to Oscarq's comment on a special clearance with option of cash loading to an Amex, this is not possible and would require a limit increase request (only Amex issued Charge Cards can be pre-paid or pre-authorised for one-off large transactions)

please note that my experience (and the OPs Questions) relate to Amex issued cards - as Amex does not operate as bank in Australia there will be significant differences in how this scenario is handled.

with respect to Oscarq's comment on a special clearance with option of cash loading to an Amex, this is not possible and would require a limit increase request (only Amex issued Charge Cards can be pre-paid or pre-authorised for one-off large transactions)

Totally agree, Diners & Amex are charge cards not credit cards so they are treated differently, but they are open to a business discussion, so you may be fortunate to a successful outcome.

Assume you don't have another Amex. They have been quite good at moving balances between cards for me

Hi yohy?, as this is a credit card and Not a charge card Amex have verbally confirmed today that you can make a cash deposit that would see a credit balance allowing the higher transaction to take place. I think Steady would be wise to make an enquiry direct to Amex. The treatment of Amex charge card is agreed as you explained. Good luck Steady.

Assume you don't have another Amex. They have been quite good at moving balances between cards for me

I have been churning a number of cards and caught myself short - I currently only have the one Amex and a MC

From experience if you put your AMEX credit card into credit balance via a payment they will block/ freeze your card, all I had to do was ring AMEX and they removed the block instantly. Your card will not block if it goes into credit due to refunds also the charge card can go into credit without and issue.

AMEX informed me this was due to some US law around money laundering.

FWIW Diners do sometimes ask you to put the charge card into credit for large purchases (last one I did was for a contributory parent visa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back