Macquarie Visa Plat - Fee Free 1st yr + 25k Qantas Pts for $5000 spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

attood

A new offer from Macquarie, and introducing Qantas Frequent Flyer Awards on the Platinum Visa.

Our Visa Platinum Card also comes with an exciting array of special features when you select Qantas Frequent Flyer Rewards[SUP]*[/SUP].

Dear Mr Attood
As an introductory offer earn, 5 Qantas Frequent Flyer points for every dollar you spend on eligible everyday purchases at supermarkets, petrol stations and on utilities with our premium Visa Platinum Card. You can take advantage of this offer for the first six months from the date your card is issued for your first $5,000 of spend[SUP]*[/SUP]. Simply be approved by 31 January 2013 and select Qantas Frequent Flyer Rewards when you activate your new Card.
As well as the premium benefits you'd expect, the Macquarie Visa Platinum Card
offers an exciting array of special features:

• we're waiving your first year's annual fees, worth $250[SUP]#[/SUP]
  • earn 2 Qantas Frequent Flyer points for every dollar you spend on selected
    Qantas products and services[SUP]+[/SUP]
  • ongoing, and for all other purchases you'll earn 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer point for every dollar of eligible spend[SUP]^[/SUP].
And because you're one of our highly valued clients, if you are approved by 31 January 2013 and opt into Qantas Frequent Flyer Rewards you will receive two Qantas Club lounge passes for your next Qantas flight valid until 31 December 2013[SUP]~[/SUP].

Here is the link : ctt

thanks for this. I will sign up. Just to clarify the heading though (not saying the OP got it wrong but just for everyone's information), you get 5 points per $1 for the first six months of certain purchases up to $5000. There are no "bonus points" where you just get a big lump of points at the start like some others.

I wonder what their definition of utilities is?

"earn, 5 Qantas Frequent Flyer points for every dollar you spend on eligible everyday purchases at supermarkets, petrol stations and on utilities with our premium Visa Platinum Card"

those taking up the offer, remember to buy lots of gift cards :)

How does this one stack up against the EDR card with its 16,000 points on signing up & an annual fee of $89 only ?

Still 1:1 QFF transfer

The initial 25,000 pts (with $5,000 spend) is seemingly attractive until you read further.... there is a cap of 200,000 rewards / QFF points per year.

This could be an issue for some, I am sure.

EDR has no cap.

I think I will stick with the EDR as far as QFF is concerned - and Citi Select for KF points.

That's my opinion.

Thanks

How does this one stack up against the EDR card with its 16,000 points on signing up & an annual fee of $89 only ?

Still 1:1 QFF transfer

I haven't compared cards for a while so I cannot say what my views are. I do not have this Macquarie card nor am I planning to. However others who do have this card might want to enjoy the 5 points per $1 promotion for six months, and then by purchasing $xx,xx_ worth of gift cards can mean quite a few bonus points earnt.

Applied. May as well take the extra points and the two Qantas Club invites for $0!!

Applied. May as well take the extra points and the two Qantas Club invites for $0!!

Changed my mind.

Took on the offer.

Will reassess in the 11th month.

25K points + 2 QC passes for $0.00 is "too good to refuse"

Is it just me, or is this worth it just for the 2 QP passes - if you don't need them just gift them to a friend.

According to ebay worth 50 bucks a pop.

Edit: Did anyone else see "Founding Members" earn 1.25 points/ $... this might just be macquarie points though and not QFF.

Last edited:
Offer confirmation page after filling in all details but before final application only has this:
Your Offer
• 5.99% interest on balance transfers for the first nine months*
• No fee first year
Founding Member benefits (Platinum only):
• 1.25 Reward points for every dollar spent^
• Exclusive offers and benefits

No mention of the points on steroi_s, and QFF rewards not selected anywhere. Is this all normal?
First page after clicking through also doesn't mention the 5 points / dollar offer either.

Offer confirmation page after filling in all details but before final application only has this:

No mention of the points on steroi_s, and QFF rewards not selected anywhere. Is this all normal?
First page after clicking through also doesn't mention the 5 points / dollar offer either.

I would get a screen capture of the offer pages, even your enter you details page. If there is a problem, you have it in black and white.

Yes looks a great offer, even if you tried and cancelled before the 1st year, 2 qantas vouchers and extra points for $0

PS Ebay will not allow you to sell Qantas vouchers, I tried to sell some and they removed my ad after a few hours as non transferrable.. Qantas must have complained at some point in time..

I would get a screen capture of the offer pages, even your enter you details page. If there is a problem, you have it in black and white.

Yes looks a great offer, even if you tried and cancelled before the 1st year, 2 qantas vouchers and extra points for $0

PS Ebay will not allow you to sell Qantas vouchers, I tried to sell some and they removed my ad after a few hours as non transferrable.. Qantas must have complained at some point in time..

+1

Here is my screen capture, FYI.

Macq Visa Platinum Offer.jpg

This is my "insurance" against any potential call centre babbles.

The 5 points per dollar spend only applies to supermarkets, service stations and utilities for the first six months and a cap of $5k. So you may not get the 25k points maximum. I note it mentions that purchases made but not processed within the six month time frame won't qualify for the 5 qff points.

I think the David Jones Amex card is probably better value. 30000 membership rewards points or 22500 QFF points on sign up, 0% interest on purchases for six months, purchases at supermarkets or service stations earn 3 MR points or 2.25 QFF points per dollar spent. General purchases only earn 0.75 QFF points though.

Fuel, groceries and anything I spend at David Jones goes on this card, everything else on my Bankwest Qantas Platinum and a purchase a month for the next few months on my Qantas CU Platinum Visa.

Did anyone get any confirmation email / letter from Macquarie after the application?

I had to call up to get a confirmation that my application had been received.

A bit odd for this day & age not to have a confirmation email post application

The 5 points per dollar spend only applies to supermarkets, service stations and utilities for the first six months and a cap of $5k. So you may not get the 25k points maximum. I note it mentions that purchases made but not processed within the six month time frame won't qualify for the 5 qff points.

I think the David Jones Amex card is probably better value. 30000 membership rewards points or 22500 QFF points on sign up, 0% interest on purchases for six months, purchases at supermarkets or service stations earn 3 MR points or 2.25 QFF points per dollar spent. General purchases only earn 0.75 QFF points though.

Fuel, groceries and anything I spend at David Jones goes on this card, everything else on my Bankwest Qantas Platinum and a purchase a month for the next few months on my Qantas CU Platinum Visa.

44 days (DJ) vs 55 days interests free (Macq Visa)

No overseas international travel insurance from DJ that I could see.

$29 for the supplementary card (after 1st year) from DJ

So, I beg to disagree on the issue of "better value"

The $5000 is not an issue for some of us.

The electricity bill alone is more than 35% of that amount already - and there are two bills in six months as I recall.

Let alone the phones !

Yes, the phone bills would assist greatly

So, that 25K QFF points are simple to reach for some of us really.

44 days (DJ) vs 55 days interests free (Macq Visa)

No overseas international travel insurance from DJ that I could see.

$29 for the supplementary card (after 1st year) from DJ

So, I beg to disagree on the issue of "better value"

The $5000 is not an issue for some of us.

The electricity bill alone is more than 35% of that amount already - and there are two bills in six months as I recall.

Let alone the phones !

Yes, the phone bills would assist greatly

So, that 25K QFF points are simple to reach for some of us really.

I guess it all depends on your personal circumstances. There is very little about the Macq Visa offer I find compelling.

22500 QFF points on sign on and first use with DJ Amex v the potential 25000 points over six months from the Macq. Visa.

The interest free period 44 days v 55 days is neither here nor there for me. However, you overlooked that all purchases outside of DJs have a 0% interest rate for the first six months, effectively giving you up to 178 days interest free.

DJ Amex does provide international travel insurance for purchases of travel and accommodation made on the card, so you are incorrect there. Plus they offer Buyers advantage 12 month extended warranty on purchases and purchase protection if your items are stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase.

Electricity bills are a moot point for me as I don't pay electricity bills, they pay me, so no points from that if I had the Macq Visa.

$29 p.a. for a sup card on DJ Amex v $50 p.a. Qantas FF fee on the Mac Visa.

0% interest on purchases made outside of David Jones on the DJ Amex for six months v the standard 20.95% interest rate on Macq Visa from day one.

Various promotions such as double points for DJ purchases (equates to 6 QFF points per dollar), interest free periods and Christmas purchase options on the DJ Amex. 3 months interest free on clothing purchases over $250. Complimentary alterations, next day delivery, gift wrapping etc Nothing comparable on the Mac Visa

1.5 QFF points per dollar spent on fuel and groceries all the time on the DJ Amex v 5 points for six months only with Macq Visa. After that it only attracts 1 point per dollar spent. so in the long run, the DJ Amex card accrues more points plus you've gotten the 22500 QFF points up front. On a comparable spend on fuel and groceries, I'd argue the DJ Amex is ahead e.g. If you spend $2000 on fuel and groceries you would have 3000 QFF points plus the 22500 points from signup = 25500 QFF points on the DJ Amex. $2000 spent on the Macq. Visa gives you 10000 QFF points. At a comparable spend you are 15500 QFF points ahead with the DJ Amex.

Phone bills? Meh. I've screwed vodafone to $0 mobile bills for six months after I threatened to leave due to their network issues. I rarely use the home phone and only then through VoIP so I pay bugger all on telephony.

I just did my Christmas shopping yesterday at DJs for 6QFF points per dollar spent. Another 12000 QFF points in the kitty and by selecting the Christmas option, I have until February to pay if I needed to.

For me, the DJ Amex card is better value. YMMV.

I guess it all depends on your personal circumstances. There is very little about the Macq Visa offer I find compelling.

22500 QFF points on sign on and first use with DJ Amex v the potential 25000 points over six months from the Macq. Visa.

The interest free period 44 days v 55 days is neither here nor there for me. However, you overlooked that all purchases outside of DJs have a 0% interest rate for the first six months, effectively giving you up to 178 days interest free.

DJ Amex does provide international travel insurance for purchases of travel and accommodation made on the card, so you are incorrect there. Plus they offer Buyers advantage 12 month extended warranty on purchases and purchase protection if your items are stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase.

Electricity bills are a moot point for me as I don't pay electricity bills, they pay me, so no points from that if I had the Macq Visa.

$29 p.a. for a sup card on DJ Amex v $50 p.a. Qantas FF fee on the Mac Visa.

0% interest on purchases made outside of David Jones on the DJ Amex for six months v the standard 20.95% interest rate on Macq Visa from day one.

Various promotions such as double points for DJ purchases (equates to 6 QFF points per dollar), interest free periods and Christmas purchase options on the DJ Amex. 3 months interest free on clothing purchases over $250. Complimentary alterations, next day delivery, gift wrapping etc Nothing comparable on the Mac Visa

1.5 QFF points per dollar spent on fuel and groceries all the time on the DJ Amex v 5 points for six months only with Macq Visa. After that it only attracts 1 point per dollar spent. so in the long run, the DJ Amex card accrues more points plus you've gotten the 22500 QFF points up front. On a comparable spend on fuel and groceries, I'd argue the DJ Amex is ahead e.g. If you spend $2000 on fuel and groceries you would have 3000 QFF points plus the 22500 points from signup = 25500 QFF points on the DJ Amex. $2000 spent on the Macq. Visa gives you 10000 QFF points. At a comparable spend you are 15500 QFF points ahead with the DJ Amex.

Phone bills? Meh. I've screwed vodafone to $0 mobile bills for six months after I threatened to leave due to their network issues. I rarely use the home phone and only then through VoIP so I pay bugger all on telephony.

I just did my Christmas shopping yesterday at DJs for 6QFF points per dollar spent. Another 12000 QFF points in the kitty and by selecting the Christmas option, I have until February to pay if I needed to.

For me, the DJ Amex card is better value. YMMV.

We should compare apple to apple, IMHO.

Further, the QFF fee ($50) is waived for the first year anyway.

I could not see the international insurance on browsing the DJ site. You may be right but I could not locate it.

True, each to his own, of course.

e.g. I cannot remember the last time I shopped at DJ - maybe 5-7 years ago

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back