Macquarie Bank Credit Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newk

Established Member
https://www.macquarie.com.au/mgl/au/personal/credit-cards/rewards

has anyone come across these?

1.25 points per dollar but seemingly cannot be transferred anywhere.

And I don't know what a point will buy flight wise

I am still exploring the site

edit to add:

my apologies I should have searched first. I found some existing references.
Nevertheless if would be interested in any recent feedback

Thanks all

Last edited:
They seem to be reasonably popular with folks who stay at Hilton a lot in Australasia. The Hilton branded card will give 20% off rack rate + 20% off food and board at Hilton I think. If you get in a few dozen stays domestically I can well imagine it being worth the $295/year fee.

Outside of that, and given the points can't be transferred, I can't see the value in the card. The conversion rate to visa/debit/gift card is horrible and the FF merchandising scheme is like almost all such things run by banks, not much value.

The Hilton branded card will give 20% off rack rate + 20% off food and board at Hilton I think. ...
:D

thats similar to AAA pricing I suppose?
It's 20% off any standard rate bookable. This can be "best Available (Flexible)", Prepaid and Hilton Sale rates.

These days, AAA and other 'corporate' rates do not qualify for the 20%.

Last year I redeemed 7K points for a $100 Bunnings voucher.

The main reason I have it is for the 20% discount and I shudder every time I have to use it...as the points value is terrible. I'm waiting for the day that they partnership between Hilton Premium Club and Macquarie is disbanded! What were HPC thinking to marry itself to an inferior gene pool?

The main reason I have it is for the 20% discount and I shudder every time I have to use it...as the points value is terrible.

Do you actually have to use the card to access the 20% discount though? I'm sure I've read of people handing over the card, obtaining the discount then paying with an Amex.

Do you actually have to use the card to access the 20% discount though?
No, thank God....but there are times when some places don't accept Amex and I need to use a "business card" - and the Macq card is my backstop card for that eventuality :(.

I'm sure I've read of people handing over the card, obtaining the discount then paying with an Amex.
Have you been watching me ? :D

Some hotels tried to insist in the ealy days of this relationship, but this was specifically noted in the the legal documentation relevant to the set up when it all started.
A copy of which I keep in my QFF bag which doubles as my briefcase. Only needed to use it twice in the early days (one memorable occasion at the Hilton MEL Airport comes to mind).

The Jetstar MasterCard is supported by Mac Bank. Nice little earner, posts monthly to QF account.

Not at all.

Some hotels tried to insist in the ealy days of this relationship, but this was specifically noted in the the legal documentation relevant to the set up when it all started.

See here: http://www.australianfrequentflyer....o-hilton-premium-club-20120-6.html#post346693

I was quite excited when I saw this, as it meant that I could potentially use the Virgin 2-4-1 offer without actually paying with my Virgin Flyer card (I could use my Amex instead). However, it seems that the ACCC has allowed that in this case: Virgin Blue Airlines Pty Ltd & Velocity Rewards Pty Ltd - Notifications - N94740 & N94741:

Virgin Blue and Velocity (as relevant) propose to supplying or offer to ... allow a
discount or credit in relation to the supply of airfares... on condition that the customer has acquired a Virgin
Credit Card issued by Citigroup Pty Limited and/or used that Virgin Credit Card for
payment.

On the basis of the information that you have provided, it is not intended that further
action be taken in this matter at this stage.

So it seems that unlike the Macquarie/Hilton deal, Virgin was able to argue that their (flight) discount would only apply if you paid with their card (to me, the and/or indicates that Virgin can choose between the two options, and is entitled to only provide the deal when both conditions are met - although they retain the discretion to act on the "or" interpretation)

So it seems that unlike the Macquarie/Hilton deal, Virgin was able to argue that their (flight) discount would only apply if you paid with their card (to me, the and/or indicates that Virgin can choose between the two options, and is entitled to only provide the deal when both conditions are met - although they retain the discretion to act on the "or" interpretation)
There was an issue with the Maquarie Hilton relationship in that it was taking over the "Premium Club" concept whereby one simply needed to be a "member" to get the discounts. That clause was to address any concersn - it should be noted that there appears to have been no other published reference as to being able to use any means of payment for the discount - in fact there was some tacit implication in advertising material that payment was to be made using the Maq card.

With the Virgin Card, there was no preexistence of a similar relationship.

i love this forum !

here is silly me thinking i had to pay with my hilton card to get the 20%!

Next time I'm handing over my amex whilst waving the hilton card

Wonder how that will work for the prepaid nights when they are cheapest

C

Wonder how that will work for the prepaid nights when they are cheapest

C
With pre-paid in the last 18 months, I have found the card used will be charged the full amount and they'll give you 20% back as a credit on the hotel folio during your stay - it doesn't matter what card you use to pre-pay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back