Looks like the 80k joining bonus has been reinstated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this looks like $900 buys you the following:

- 80000 Amex MR points
- Free domestic/international flights on Virgin for 1 free night accommodation (via free Platinum Reserve Credit Card)
- Free Priority Pass for 1 year (assuming you are canning the card afterwards)
- Free entry to Virgin lounge
- Free coughpy ACE insurance.

Not bad if you need the 80K bonus and can the card 1 year later ....

So this looks like $900 buys you the following:

- 80000 Amex MR points
- Free domestic/international flights on Virgin for 1 free night accommodation (via free Platinum Reserve Credit Card)
- Free Priority Pass for 1 year (assuming you are canning the card afterwards)
- Free entry to Virgin lounge
- Free coughpy ACE insurance.

Not bad if you need the 80K bonus and can the card 1 year later ....

For mine the value comes from the points and free flight alone:

1. Virgin flight PER-SYD say $350-$400
2. 80k points (say I'll use 70k to get a classic award in Y on Cathay) approx $800

OK for a $900 outlay.

What is the conversion rate of Amex points to QF or Velocity points?
I have looked but have not been able to find on their T&C

I would like to build up my points in QF in particular. This seems a good deal on surface

I took up the then Amex Plat Card as it was then 75K points plus extras for $900 for one year only it was 1.5 points per & spent, could transfer to QF or VA.

What is the conversion rate of Amex points to QF or Velocity points?
I have looked but have not been able to find on their T&C

I would like to build up my points in QF in particular. This seems a good deal on surface

VA is 1:1 on Amex Plat, sent some points across last month.

They also sometimes have 20-30% bonus point offers when you transfer to VA, normally this is on the Velocity website when they run this type of promo.

For mine the value comes from the points and free flight alone:

1. Virgin flight PER-SYD say $350-$400
2. 80k points (say I'll use 70k to get a classic award in Y on Cathay) approx $800

OK for a $900 outlay.

Isn't the free flight on platinum reserve only, which is $395/year and doesn't have any bonus points currently?

Or is there some way that gets tacked onto the normal platinum card?

Isn't the free flight on platinum reserve only, which is $395/year and doesn't have any bonus points currently?

Or is there some way that gets tacked onto the normal platinum card?

You get the reserve card gratis when you take up what they are now calling The Original Platinum card.

I wonder how many members have cancelled the Charge card as a result of the (significant) watering down of the travel insurance benefits and reduction in points earn? Obviously, marketing have been instructed to find new members!

I wonder how many members have cancelled the Charge card as a result of the (significant) watering down of the travel insurance benefits and reduction in points earn? Obviously, marketing have been instructed to find new members!

I, like others I guess, will be watching and hoping for further changes in Amex's attitude to its customers.

You get the reserve card gratis when you take up what they are now calling The Original Platinum card.

Ha apparently I stopped reading partway through:

"If you apply and are approved you will also be eligible to apply for a Platinum Reserve Credit Card (with the $395 annual Card fee waived) that comes with an annual complimentary economy return flight[SUP]16[/SUP]to 7 international destinations and 29 domestic destinations or an overnight hotel stay[SUP]17"

[/SUP] Hmm, tempting, very tempting.

Edit: less tempting. I don't meet the income requirement. Bummer.

Last edited:
This page is interesting given Amex changes to point earn on most of their cards

The Membership Rewards cards only show the 'earn up to 3 points per dollar spent' (obviously the earn rate is now too confusing to put in that small space)
The basic direct earn cards show 1 point per dollar with no disclaimer
The Gold direct earn cards (QF and VA) show 1.25 points per dollar but with a disclaimer - "Earn rates subject to change with 3 months' written notice."
The Platinum Velocity credit card does not mention anything about earn rate on that page

I think that might be the strongest indication that these 1.25 points per dollar cards (and possibly 1.5 earn cards) might have their earn rate reduced. This might just be the 0.5 point earn for utilities, govt, telecoms and insurance, but then why not list the 'subject to change' disclaimer against the basic direct earn cards? It's unlikely they would keep the basic cards earning 1 point per dollar for those categories if they changed the earn rate for the higher level cards.

Again knowing what the TI and earn rate used to be on the Platinum Charge (flat 1.5/$1 with bonuses) I still see no long term value in it but the 80k of points and a free flight ex PER is not bad for $900.

I cancelled few months ago, I wonder if I can sign up again and get the 80k bonus? If I plan to leave QF all together might be good for the CX GO as well...

I cancelled few months ago, I wonder if I can sign up again and get the 80k bonus? If I plan to leave QF all together might be good for the CX GO as well...

Ditto. Might be worth a phonecall.

How long do you need to wait between cancelling and reapplying to be able to get the bonus points?

Two months ago i cancelled this card no mention of up coming offers would i be silly to re apply again?

When I cancelled (about 18 months ago) I was told you need to wait 6 months before it's considered a new application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back