Looking for a "utility" credit card - recommendations ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drsmithy

I've been taking up some signon bonuses the last few months (ANZ, Westpac, NAB) and having just hit the last of my qualifying spends my mind has turned to doing it all again once I've closed the cards and hit the obligatory 12 month waiting periods.

The wife goes back to work in April so once she's got an income again she'll be able to take advantage of whatever signon bonuses are current to take us through to 2018 when my 12 months are up.

But in the interim, I'm looking for a "utility" credit card to use for:

a) day-to-day expenses in between meeting spend requirements for card churn
b) long-term, recurring expenses (gym membership, toll roads, etc). This is mainly for the convenience factor to avoid having to change billing details for a bunch of stuff whenever I churn cards. In this context I'm OK changing it every 18-24 months.

My current cards used for this purpose are the AMEX Velocity Platinum and Citi Signature Visa (sweeping to QFF). I'm intending to close the AMEX because now we have babies the free flight per year has much less value (I'm not flying Y with a kid on my lap) to cover the $395 annual fee. I'm 50/50 on keeping the Citi Visa - on the one hand it's a fee-free card that sweeps to QFF, but on the other it's got a minimum $15k limit and I reckon that can hurt approvals for card churn.

The features I'm after are:

A current signon bonus.

Low (<$100 or so) or zero annual fee (as overall spend and consequently points earn on this card will likely be relatively low, there's less opportunity to recover the annual fee cost in value, especially past the signon bonus).

Low minimum credit limit ($2000-$5000) so as to minimally impact overall credit limit & new approvals for card churn.

This card should minimally endanger churn opportunities for QFF or Velocity bonus points through disqualification by being an existing cardholder.

I don't really care about "extras" like travel insurance or extended warranties.

I want to direct majority of points earn for next year or two into Velocity as I've just cleaned out most of my Velocity points flying the family to NZ skiing later this year, and already have 750k+ QFF points (and QFF redemption opportunities/availability are generally not as good).

I am leaning towards ANZ Rewards Platinum or Westpac Altitude. ANZ Rewards Platinum seems to offer a marginally higher points earn and lower annual fee, but Westpac has QFF redemption possibility (though as mentioned that is relatively unimportant at the moment).

It's my understanding that the ANZ FF Black I have wouldn't disqualify me from the 50k signup bonus for an ANZ Rewards Platinum per their T&Cs which only reference previous holding of a Rewards card and not FF cards.

I use a 28 degrees card for spend during overseas trips but their 95c fee for BPAY payments has given me the irrits so I'm probably going to turf it as well and look for a replacement.

Basically, I want a card for non-churn related daily spend that returns some value in terms of point earning but has the smallest impact possible on both my wallet (in terms of annual fee) and opportunities for card churn (in terms of T&C disqualification and overall credit limit).

What do people think (or already use for this purpose) ?

What about something completely different?

Macquarie Hilton Credit Card gives you instant Gold status, some AFFers reporting instant Diamond. This may or may not be of any use to you.
Although the card costs ~$349 pa (there are sign up offers from time to time) you get a free night once per year which could cover the cost of the card. The Hilton points you earn could go towards a redemption stay.

I'd say that the features you like are not conducive to such a low min credit limit. I'd suggest an AMEX Velocity Escape card which is FOC and has a 10-15K sign on bonus (be sure to use a referral so both of you benefit from the extra points). It gives a VA point per dollar which is a pretty good deal.

I've been taking up some signon bonuses the last few months (ANZ, Westpac, NAB) and having just hit the last of my qualifying spends my mind has turned to doing it all again once I've closed the cards and hit the obligatory 12 month waiting periods.

The wife goes back to work in April so once she's got an income again she'll be able to take advantage of whatever signon bonuses are current to take us through to 2018 when my 12 months are up.

But in the interim, I'm looking for a "utility" credit card to use for:

a) day-to-day expenses in between meeting spend requirements for card churn
b) long-term, recurring expenses (gym membership, toll roads, etc). This is mainly for the convenience factor to avoid having to change billing details for a bunch of stuff whenever I churn cards. In this context I'm OK changing it every 18-24 months.

My current cards used for this purpose are the AMEX Velocity Platinum and Citi Signature Visa (sweeping to QFF). I'm intending to close the AMEX because now we have babies the free flight per year has much less value (I'm not flying Y with a kid on my lap) to cover the $395 annual fee. I'm 50/50 on keeping the Citi Visa - on the one hand it's a fee-free card that sweeps to QFF, but on the other it's got a minimum $15k limit and I reckon that can hurt approvals for card churn.

The features I'm after are:

A current signon bonus.

Low (<$100 or so) or zero annual fee (as overall spend and consequently points earn on this card will likely be relatively low, there's less opportunity to recover the annual fee cost in value, especially past the signon bonus).

Low minimum credit limit ($2000-$5000) so as to minimally impact overall credit limit & new approvals for card churn.

What about something completely different?

Macquarie Hilton Credit Card gives you instant Gold status, some AFFers reporting instant Diamond. This may or may not be of any use to you.
Although the card costs ~$349 pa (there are sign up offers from time to time) you get a free night once per year which could cover the cost of the card. The Hilton points you earn could go towards a redemption stay.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't really know much about any of the hotel-affiliated cards.

Unfortunately I don't think we'd see value out of those perks with the style of travel anticipated over the next year or two. But I'll check it out.

jetstar platinum card with sweep to QF at $169 offers a decent 1:1 for the first $2500 each month.

Woolworths QF platinum 40K signup bonus 1:1 up to 2.5K each month, $99 for the first year then $169

Thanks for the other suggestions, folks, but I'm really after a card that can earn Velocity points for the next year or two.

Tossing up between ANZ Rewards and ANZ Travel Adventures - the latter has a higher fee than I'd like, but trades off against a 60k signup bonus at the moment, plus it could replace my 28 Degrees Card as well (which I want to do since they've given me the irrits charging a buck to make a payment).

Does anyone know off the top of their head which bank-issued AMEXes have different numbers for supplementary cards ?

Does anyone know off the top of their head which bank-issued AMEXes have different numbers for supplementary cards ?

ANZ Frequent Flyer Amex cards are all different.

As a size note the ANZ cards seem to offer the only travel insurance where the sup holders are covered if they make the $250 travel spend on their cards. Saving my parents over $900 for their 9 week trip in a few months. Sup card holders don't have to travel with you to get the cover.

Coles MasterCard. $89 with a equivalent earn rate of 0.87 ppd.

My bad with earlier post, for some reason I thought this accumulated QFF points. Looks like it could be a goer.

Last edited:
Hard to go past the Amex Explorer card in my opinion.
Annual fee is more than you wanted to spend at $395, but comes with a $400 Amex travel credit to help offset that.
If you are referred before the end of January you will get 110,000 Amex Gateway points.
The card earns the equivalent of 1.5 Velocity points per $ spent. But because it is not a direct sweep card means you can wait for a Velocity bonus transfer promo to transfer your points.
These are usually every 6 months or so and last one was 15%. So that would take it up to 1.73 points per $ spend.

Comes with 4 free supplementary cards, which are great for the Amex statement credits. It is possible to have multiple supplementary cards in your own name. This further lessens the annual fee.

Minimum credit limit is $3k. No good for paying by bpay though.
My referral is in the relevant thread if you need one.

Coles MasterCard. $89 with a equivalent earn rate of 0.87 ppd.

Have to agree with Scwappy, based on all that you have mentioned coles rewards cards sounds like the best option:
1. Has a very decent velocity earn rate for the fee. (Added bonus that points can also be transferred to Etihad)
2. No foreign transaction fees so you can replace 28 deg
3. Doesn't hinder any future bonus opportunities from major bank credit card sign-ups
4. Currently there is a measly bonus of 20k on it too.
5. You should be able to keep the credit limit low as well

For those who keep an eye on such things ;) : is the current signon on bonus for the Coles Mastercard good, bad, or indifferent, historically speaking ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back