Limit for putting Prestige into credit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark4217

Not sure if the title makes sense but does anyone know how much you can go into credit before Citi stops paying points. I have a Cap of say $30K but have bills totalling $45K. I read somewhere that in this situation I can only ad funds to a max $10K over my limit. What would happen if I did that and paid a bill for say $33K then ad another $30K to my account, is that going pull the STOP paying points trigger for that month?? Another way of looking at it is: I have $60K bills each month & I have a $30K limit... any assistance would be welcome... Cheers

More than $10k in credit and Citi doesn't give points on transactions until you are only $10k in credit.

I would pay off the $30k bills, get points. Pay citi bill and repeat. No problems.

Great, thanks for that Zainman. This is such a stupid way to manage a premium card. Oh, well, just gotta play by the rules. Cheers

i'm not sure if that's entirely true - i used to do that as well and use my full limit, pay it immediately and recycle but on advice from others here have since stopped doing that and have had points credited no problems.
last credit into my card i put in almost 100k in credit and used it in 4 separate transactions and got points for all of the transactions.

More than $10k in credit and Citi doesn't give points on transactions until you are only $10k in credit.

I would pay off the $30k bills, get points. Pay citi bill and repeat. No problems.

i'm not sure if that's entirely true - i used to do that as well and use my full limit, pay it immediately and recycle but on advice from others here have since stopped doing that and have had points credited no problems.
last credit into my card i put in almost 100k in credit and used it in 4 separate transactions and got points for all of the transactions.

I wouldn't personally risk it. Maybe it's changed or is different for different cards but why not pay and recyle? If one day the points don't post then you can at least argue you were following the rules.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what are these huge transactions that you made? :)

I wouldn't personally risk it. Maybe it's changed or is different for different cards but why not pay and recyle? If one day the points don't post then you can at least argue you were following the rules.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what are these huge transactions that you made? :)

i tried it first the month before with double my monthly limit in credit and points posted so just carried on from there

had a couple of big bills to be paid - 2 siblings overseas studying in college and their fees have now increased more than 20% since last year. sigh.

Hi, i have a limit of $22k and simply put the requisite amount. I.e if I want to pay 45k worth of bills then I just transfer the money and lay it all at once.

Done this for years, always got the points.

Hope that helps

I worked on the credit limits on both of our cards.
If you have a bill that is higher than your credit limit just pay the first instalment 3 days early and BPay into the account so the second amount can be paid. If it is larger than that just go and start a few more days early.

I have never heard of this, nor ever had any problems loading credit well over my limit and receiving full points for the past 4 years. I have a $44k limit on this card and routinely load it with $50-$100k on top of its credit limit two or three days in advance before I process transactions.

shifty it is in their rule book but currently they do not impose that rule. Citibank won't bother to tell you and there will be a month where you will (potentially) get short changed. That happened to many with ATO not earning points so just be aware of what can happen and try to be compliant with their myriad of rules. I think we have now passed the Amex Ultimate points earned total with this pair of Citi cards so that is rather sweet.

Thanks. I don't have much of choice with the big bills other than cycle cash and payments through over a few days. However that would annoy my suppliers. I am more concerned that they aren't meant to pay on business transactions let alone when the account is in credit :)

Shifty you could work on a larger credit limit and if you have a partner a second account is where we went. Then if we are going over those limits we do an early payment and keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back