Leave entitlements discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptJCool

Established Member
Yea, no employer wants to be carrying annual leave for more than a couple of years

I wound down my LSL ahead of quitting as much to get out earlier but to diminish the tax and child support obligations.

Yea, no employer wants to be carrying annual leave for more than a couple of years
I currently have 9 weeks personal leave, 1 month LSL and 4.3 weeks annual.
Once you get to 8 weeks annual, they force you to take it, but for some reason they don't count personal or LSL towards that 8 weeks "excessive" leave.
I know a salaried staff member who refused to go on leave until got forced to take time off, at which point he had 2 years of leave.

Deemed leave comes down to iron law of arithmetics

In Large organisations, it’s millions spent having people away not ‘earning’ revenue for the company

Also it’s can create a serious fraud risk to allow employees to defer leave. Often, it perpetuates a fraud which is only uncovered when they end up being away on leave

Deemed leave comes down to iron law of arithmetics

In Large organisations, it’s millions spent having people away not ‘earning’ revenue for the company

Also it’s can create a serious fraud risk to allow employees to defer leave. Often, it perpetuates a fraud which is only uncovered when they end up being away on leave

I ran across that in my career. A person who was responsible for making payments went on leave. While he was away someone else couldn't figure out some payments and hunted around and found a number of suspicious files. The person who went on leave ended getting about another 10 years off. Fully catered and with accommodation provided. .

Once you get to 8 weeks annual, they force you to take it, but for some reason they don't count personal or LSL towards that 8 weeks "excessive" leave.

Sounds sensible. There are limited circumstances where you can be forced to take LSL and it's generally covered in your employment agreement, whatever form that takes.

As for being forced to take personal leave, well if you turn up to work as sick as the proverbial dog then it is of course the employer's prerogative to send you home on sick, aka personal leave.

Wherever I've worked the accumulation of AL is only permitted where there are definite pre-agreed plans to take it on a specific date for a specific purpose.

Too many businesses have been sent broke with an employee stealing from them whilst refusing to take leave.

Think best policy I've seen was after 3yrs employment, you got an extra 5th week subject to two conditions
- you had already used 4 wks that year
- balance was under 4 wks

Definitely encouraged ppl to keep leave down

Currently have 11 months LSL, 40 weeks Sick Leave and 3 weeks Annual Leave...a few years ago, my Annual Leave balance was 23 weeks and climbing but I was forced to take it....so I did at a rate of 2-3 weeks a year in addition to my regular annual 5 weeks of AL....and travelled a lot! By the end of next year, I will have 1 year of LSL....now what to do with that?!

We have a cap of around 8 weeks annual leave. You are then forced to take it, and if you don’t they delete it.

We're suppose to have a cap but double figures growth for a couple of years makes it difficult sometimes. I have 65 annual leave days, over 130 personal leave and 12 weeks LSL.

I now take 3 weeks approx April or June plus a week in August. Happy to have lots of personal leave as it says I don't get sick often and I'm glad not to have a "need" for it.

Overwhelming I've found parents don't have a lot of personal leave in my experience, especially singles mums.

Last edited:
We have a cap of around 8 weeks annual leave. You are then forced to take it, and if you don’t they delete it.

Delete? I’m not sure that’s legal in AU? I think they can discuss with you pay out options though...

Each of our branches work on getting annual leave down during the winter/quieter time in our business.Last year we were at about 5 days per person not taken as an average. No one would be allowed to not take some annual leave.
With long term staff they can go into minus but we prefer they use some long service leave. The problem with long service leave is the rules vary in each State.

Think best policy I've seen was after 3yrs employment, you got an extra 5th week subject to two conditions
- you had already used 4 wks that year
- balance was under 4 wks

Definitely encouraged ppl to keep leave down

Wow wish I'd worked there. There was a joke in our office that my boss never had to encourage me to take leave and I used to purchase extra leave as well. No one ever lies on the death bed saying I wish I'd taken less holidays ;)

I think it is an age thing too. When in my twenties and saving for a house deposit took a week a year. Now in my forties need a rest and use my annual leave (mind you I travel so not always much of a rest!!!)

At work we have the long service liability covered by invested funds so it isn’t a shock to pay out retiring staff.
The long service liability can grow into a monster amount if employers ignore it.

Husband, up to 4 years ago , had 9 months personal /sick leave .
Very grateful he hadnt used as he had a dramatic few days in 2015 after the diagnosis of a rather large brain tumour.
He used all his personal leave and some of his long service.
His long service was repaid to him in his leave entitlements as a once off.
Basically as he hadnt take much sick leave in the prior 30 plus years the company wore all his time off and return to work issues
So so grateful. Husband wasn't back at work full time for about 18 months or so ?

Similar to my employment, you can only accrue 8 weeks, anything over doesn’t get deleted but converted to sick leave balance.

Oh, that would suck, it doesn't get paid out if you leave.

I have 8 weeks accrued annual leave, and my boss continually threatens that he will force me to take some. I just laugh at him. “What are you going to do, sack me?”. He knows and I know that I earn 10 times my salary when on the job. Added to the fact that I am nearly 68, bulletproof I believe.

Wish could convert personal leave (aka sick leave) to annual leave.... whatever the ratio.....currently sitting on 66 weeks of personal leave..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back