Just WHO exactly will invest in Qantas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamDownUnder

Intern
Qantas is already almost 40% foreign-held according to media reports this week but not a single airline is on the list. And Emirates has time and again said it's not interested in owning part of Qantas. So is any airline likely to invest in Qantas?

"If not Emirates, then who? That’s has been one of the questions surrounding Qantas Airways after the airline floated a proposed new corporate structure for its international operations in a bid to open itself up to further investment. The answer, it seems, is no one. Not yet anyway."

Analysts expect little interest in Qantas International | Australian Aviation

Any airline? Don't know, however seems unlikely.

Short term investors? Well whilst the old saying about how to end up with a million dollars in the airline industry - start with 2 million, often remain true, there are numerous short term investors who place money into companies as a gamble (rather than placing it onto the roulette wheel), there are those with emotional attachments to companies who will invest, just to say they have a piece of it.

A few years back, I remember talking with a guy whom invested quite heavily into a company which I'd just left as it was going down the gurgler. He was lucky in his timings, he invested just before they did a mass layoff (I don't think it was insider trading, just good luck, and no I was not one of the 600, I'd already jumped ship) and he was telling me how that one event had pushed the share price up by 10%. Whilst I questioned his wisdom in investing in the company when most people knew it was doomed, but the 10% increase just went to show me that even when times are bad for a company, it's possible to still make money from it.

Private equity boys would love to get their "fat fingers" all over it - particularly if the totally handicapping Qantas Sale Act is scrubbed from hansard.

I suspect if any airline is going to buy in it wont happen until QF is well and truly maimed and it then will be similar to the DL / VS situation - obv the Sale Act would need to disappear which might be justified by the sheer numbers of job losses if a takeover is not allowed

Why does it need to be another airline?

Best I can tell, the only reason there are three other airlines pushing money through VA is because they can't operate in Australia and dislike Qantas, so inflicting pain through a rival is their only weapon. They're not investing in VA because it's doing well... have you seen their results? :p

Private equity boys would love to get their "fat fingers" all over it - particularly if the totally handicapping Qantas Sale Act is scrubbed from hansard.

I would do a 'like', but that would be for what was said, not the 'outcome' mentioned.

Why does it need to be another airline?

Best I can tell, the only reason there are three other airlines pushing money through VA is because they can't operate in Australia and dislike Qantas, so inflicting pain through a rival is their only weapon. They're not investing in VA because it's doing well... have you seen their results? :p
NZ, SQ and EY can operate domestic Australia flights. They'd just have to set up their own 100% owned local carrier, as TT was to start with.
There is nothing stopping say, CX from coming in and setting up a 100% non Australian owned "Cathay Australia", it just wouldn't be able to operate international flights under Australia's Air Navigation Act.

How about IAG taking a stake in QF?

Given the number of AFFers who know how to run an airline and aren't shy of telling us so maybe they should buy and run Qantas?

Given the number of AFFers who know how to run an airline and aren't shy of telling us so maybe they should buy and run Qantas?

No, I'd rather be an armchair expert sniping at the side. That way when I'm right I can tell everyone I was, and when I'm wrong I can sit here in confidence knowing that no one will track down my previous posts. Far more fun than actually running an airline. :cool:

This is easy - Malaysian should buy into Qantas and abduct their good record. Quick respraying of MH aircraft with flying kangaroo logos.

Last edited:
This is easy - Malaysian should buy into Qantas and abduct their good record. Quick respraying of MF aircraft with flying kangaroo logos.

I'm pretty sure the media would have a "wolf in sheep's clothing" field day if MH did that.

:shock:I did...when they were down around $1, and I figured the value of the sum of its parts was worth more than its capitalisation.

Just checked now, $1.54 dk4 :D :arrow: bank :p

This is easy - Malaysian should buy into Qantas and abduct their good record. Quick respraying of MH aircraft with flying kangaroo logos.
Well, there were talks of a MH/QF merger in late 2008...

CX could take 49% of QF and buy out the MU stake in JM. Could also set up an Australian based holding company to take the other 51% of QF.
Then CX could use the Australian side of the AU/HK air services bilateral and allow Jetstar Hong Kong to start service.

To strip and leave a carcass behind?

Yep. Very constructive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back