JL awards now bookable on Qantas website

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Mattg, Feb 22, 2018.

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Mattg

Mattg Senior Member

Aug 21, 2011
    AMS
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Looks like it's now *finally* possible to book JL awards on the Qantas website! No more having to call Qantas and hoping you'll get an agent that knows how to book JL flights :)

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 2.57.27 PM.png

• Like Like x 16
    • Informative Informative x 6

2. mviy

mviy Established Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Thanks for the heads up. This is great news!

3. Saltywings

Saltywings Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Oh hell yes, as a Japanophile this is awesome news! Thanks for brightening up an otherwise mundane Thursday.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AIRwin

AIRwin Established Member

Apr 13, 2013
    BNE
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #4 AIRwin, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    The very same day QF released its first half results...

On a separate note, info on the QF website hasn't been updated:
    Frequent Flyer - Flying Qantas and Partner Airlines - Flying with Partner Airlines - Japan Airlines

I'm glad I've already booked my classic reward seat via the QF call centre for a NRT-SIN flight on JL in April as I couldn't find any options on the QF website, even on random dates beyond April. Wonder if the online functionality is restricted to JL flights between Japan and Australia only?

5. Mattg

Mattg Senior Member

Aug 21, 2011
    AMS
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Possibly. Another possible explanation is that the functionality is being rolled out progressively (and isn't finished yet).

I haven't heard anything from QF about the change, just noticed this today when searching on the QF website.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. rock86

rock86 Active Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Toowoomba
    That is awesome, I was wondering when this was going to be implemented as JL has now rolled out Amadeus

7. travelislife

travelislife Established Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Melbourne
    Personally I reckon it’s a bad thing! Availability was pretty good on JL. The extra bit of effort to find the availability on BA, phone and find the right agent probably kept it that way!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. snabbu

snabbu Established Member

Sep 1, 2014
    SYD
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Great news. IIRC it's been a few months since they switched over to Amadeus so it was expected.
    One the other hand it's been a reliable excuse for the QF agents to waive the assisted booking fee when awards get complex.

9. love_the_life

love_the_life Established Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Canberra
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    That's good news for me. It's the interminable wait if you have to ring QF to book and I avoid it at all costs.

10. rock86

rock86 Active Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Toowoomba
    CX is available to book online as well, seems to always be pretty good availability with them still. Most of the herd will still look for purely direct routes so I don't think it will impact it too much.

11. boomy

boomy Senior Member

May 10, 2013
    MEL and BNE
    Now to wait and hope JL bring back F to AUS. Best to book via AA but good value even with QF points.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. kermatu

kermatu Senior Member

May 27, 2012
    Canberra
    Twitter:
    I was just wondering if JL flies F out of Australia - so thanks. One day keen to try - in part from your and others' TRs - and a points option out of Oz would certainly be the easiest for me (in the near-term at least).

13. tizey

tizey Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Sure this is working? I'm not able to find anything JL on the QF website, and searching ba.com brings up heaps of availability.

EG. PVG-NRT, early October... JL galore on ba.com, and donuts coming up on QF.

14. nickfromeastryde

nickfromeastryde Active Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Wondering the same, thinking maybe the aberration is the flights showing up in the first place

15. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    SYD-NRT early October on BA awards in Y,PE and J on JL.QFF nothing.

16. Matt_01

Matt_01 Established Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Mel and Adl
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Maybe still in testing.

I actually searched on the same date route that you have posted and get nothing from QF site. Other days as well, no availability.

17. nickfromeastryde

Sep 25, 2010
    Can concur, booked 2 x J early Oct after finding on BA as part of a 280K award

18. Mattg

Mattg Senior Member

Aug 21, 2011
    AMS
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Hmm, well I'm also no longer seeing any JL availability on the Qantas website. I guess they must have just been testing things out on Thursday.

In any case, hopefully it's a sign that the functionality will indeed be brought in soon.

In the meantime, back to the "search BA, call QF, hope for a good agent" method.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Mattg

Mattg Senior Member

Aug 21, 2011
    AMS
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Well I'm seeing JL awards on the Qantas website again today, but only randomly.

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 5.18.20 PM.png

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. nickfromeastryde

Sep 25, 2010
    I can see for the first time as well. Not sure I'm too happy, think there will be more competition for award seats in the future rather than the current BA site method