Issues with accuracy of "finder" cc comparison website

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozflier

Established Member
Hi,

I have in the past found useful credit card advantages and benefits to be found on the “finder”: website.

I think I am quite experienced with credit cards and I offer this only because of my concern that inexperienced players will make decisions based on what I believe is misinformation on the site.

I have been caught once before with incorrect information for an AmEx card so this time I am not looking at them get away with the one I heard of recently.

A friend of mine has a Woolworths Qantas Platinum cc (as do I).

He took one up based on a positive advice from the “finder” website.

He referred me to the section in the finder website

https://www.finder.com.au/woolworths-money-qantas-platinum-credit-card

where he felt he was led to believe that benefits associated with the card included exclusive platinum perks ((dot point 6 in red) ie

Benefits of the Woolworths Qantas Platinum Credit Card
This card comes with a host of benefits which makes it a competitive option within the platinum card segment. Some of the perks include:

· Discounted first year annual fee. New customers can look forward to a discounted annual fee of $99 for the first year, reverting to $169 p.a. thereafter.

· Qantas Points per $1 spent. You'll earn 1 Qantas Point for every $1 spent at Woolworths and Woolworths group stores. All other eligible purchases earn 0.5 Qantas Points per dollar spent, uncapped. Applicants who do not have Qantas Frequent Flyer membership will be provided one at no additional cost during sign up, saving $99.50.

· Balance transfer. If you need to consolidate an existing debt, you can pay it down at a lower rate by completing a balance transfer at 0% p.a. for 14 months, reverting to the variable cash advance rate. You can transfer a minimum of $500 from Australian credit or store cards not issued by Macquarie.

· Discounts on your shopping. Get 10% off your shopping at Woolworths on selected dates once per month, saving you up to $50.

· Complimentary insurance. You get comprehensive travel insurance including unlimited overseas medical emergency cover, interstate flight inconvenience cover and more. It also provides purchase security insurance and extended warranty insurance for shoppers.

· Platinum perks. Get exclusive access to platinum perks such as concierge services, Visa luxury hotel collection access, member discount at Woolworths, savings on fuel and more.

He expected that benefits of the platinum card ( in dot point 6) included woollies discounts over and above dot point 4 (10% off) and savings on fuel!

Reading this led me to the same conclusion – ie Woolies savings would be more than the monthly 10% weekend discount and that fuel savings would be greater than the usual 4 c per litre for petrol.

I rang the credit card people and they assured me the “finder” was wrong and that there were no additional discounts at Woolworths and Caltex.

I contacted finder and they told me

· That all the details could be found in the fine print on the Woolworths contract of service. It was the responsibility of the purchaser to check that for themselves

· Qantas did offer occasional discounts on their website

· If you converted spend to woollies points, there were some extra discounts at stores but zilch if your spend was converted into QFF points

Maybe I’m wrong but I believe that these comparative websites should reflect contents of the cc agreement – ie they cannot say something wrong and expect the card owner to check the conditions of service to get the correct story.

Maybe this has been a recent change – has anyone received extra benefits from this platinum card in the line of discounts?

Am I the only one to see the problem in the “finder” info or am I just expect too much?

Finder need to be particularly careful here. They are marketing a product for commission and there is absolute potential for them to find themselves liable for misleading advertising when they editorialise the terms and conditions. That said, misleading can be a subjective measure and they obviously feel in this case that they are not misleading potential customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back