Is this the quiet season for new credit card offering with large bonus points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Ralph

Enthusiast
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Having been through at least 6 different offerings over the past 9 months (St George, NAB, ANZ (x3) and Bankwest to name a few), there seems to have been a lull in the most recent decent offerings. The last decent one was for the Commonwealth wasn't it?

I'm currently in the process of cancelling a number of cards before they come up for the annual renewal and am hoping for some new offerings in the very near future as I've managed to gather around 300,000 Qantas points over the last 9 months.

Has anyone noticed a pattern to offerings. Eg: Is there a lull through the Winter and then a boom in Spring or Summer?

Last edited:
Ummmmmmm check my sig! Biggest sign up offer in australian history right now!

A shame airlines aren't giving away more points. So many award seats that could be utilised are left vacant.

Having been through at least 6 different offerings over the past 9 months (St George, NAB, ANZ (x3) and Bankwest to name a few), there seems to have been a lull in the most recent decent offerings. The last decent one was for the Commonwealth wasn't it?

I'm currently in the process of cancelling a number of cards before they come up for the annual renewal and am hoping for some new offerings in the very near future as I've managed to gather around 300,000 Qantas points over the last 9 months.

Has anyone noticed a pattern to offerings. Eg: Is there a lull through the Winter and then a boom in Spring or Summer?

This is the best offer I have ever seen:
https://www316.americanexpress.com/...merHub&MGMURN=AAAABgQeABAXAw==&CPID=999999484

Follow the link, get 110,000 Velocity points (I get 20,000 for the referral). Spent properly worth around $5,000!

This is the best offer I have ever seen:
https://www316.americanexpress.com/...merHub&MGMURN=AAAABgQeABAXAw==&CPID=999999484

Follow the link, get 110,000 Velocity points (I get 20,000 for the referral). Spent properly worth around $5,000!

Velocity points. Was interested in Qantas offerings.

And I suspect this will be a major problem for many:

'Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any other Card product offered by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 12 month period are ineligible for this offer. '

Velocity points. Was interested in Qantas offerings.

See thread below - 90,000 QFF points up for grab (ends today 31/7)
http://www.australianfrequentflyer....erican-express-platinum-card-bonus-69537.html

And I suspect this will be a major problem for many:

'Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any other Card product offered by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 12 month period are ineligible for this offer. '

Several people in other threads reported getting the bonus points even when already holding another AMEX card... I guess the folks at AMEX are just happy to get additional business ;)

$1200 for 90,000 points is far from what I would call a 'decent offering'.

Well - it depends if you only look at the QFF points that's 1.3c per points so yes definitely not the best deal around.

If you can actually use the card for travel ($200 travel credit & $349 Accor Plus & 2 x Priority Pass & Free Flight & Access to VA domestic lounge etc) then the value keeps adding up...

Let me give you an example - early this year my partner and I flew to Bali for a week holiday at the Sofitel Nusa Dua... and used these perks:

- Travel credit $200
- AMEX lounge in Sydney say $40 x 2 = $80
- At the Sofitel Nusa Dua we booked the cheapest room at $200/night and thanks to Accor Plus Platinum got a double upgrade to a Pool access room & free breakfast & executive lounge access with free food + coughtails every night. The same upgrade package was available from the hotel for $150/night x 7 = $1050
- 50% discount at Sofitel restaurants, say $70 x 4 = $280
- Priority Pass lounge in Denpasar say $30 x 2 = $60
- International travel insurance say $100 x 2 = $200

So for the one trip we got over $1800 worth out of the card.

Obviously your circumstances may be totally different. If all you are after are the bonus points then there are many other options out there that will deliver a lower cost per point, that's for sure. But if you can use the AMEX Platinum for your holidays & business travel (especially overseas travel) then the value is outstanding, especially for the first year when you get 90,000 points (that you can redeem with 10 different major airlines, not just QF and VA) on top of it...

ANZ FF cards currently have 50k QFF points sign up bonus and 0$ annual fee first year.

I think there are plenty of offers. It's just that since you've signed up for all of them you're no longer eligible.

Would be very interested to see if this is enforced... is anyone going to take one for the team?

I'd be very confident that it will be enforced after their massive stuff up allowing people to make multiple claims for their previous offerings. IE. 3 x 50,000 points for separate cards opened at the same time.

Just noticed another Citibank offer on the Qantas Card Selector site (https://www.qantaspoints.com/earn-points/cards-banking/card-selector)

+ No annual fee for the first year
+ Up to 60,000 QFF points

- $49 "opt in" fee
- Must spend $3000 or more every month for the first six months to get the full 60,000 points

? The usual hurdles for existing card holders?

This is a pretty good deal for people who want Qantas point and doesn't already have a Signature card.

But hey I think right now Virgin Velocity Platinum Amex 110000 points offer is the best. So much value as it can be converted to 81481 Krisflyer miles and can get you to Europe on Business Class, not to mention free lounge pass and free domestic flights throw in as well. It is easily most value of money right now. So if you want this, apply on the link below:

https://www316.americanexpress.com/...EE556F554&mgmerSource&MGMURN=AAAABgQeFxIXDw==

This is a pretty good deal for people who want Qantas point and doesn't already have a Signature card.

But hey I think right now Virgin Velocity Platinum Amex 110000 points offer is the best. So much value as it can be converted to 81481 Krisflyer miles and can get you to Europe on Business Class, not to mention free lounge pass and free domestic flights throw in as well. It is easily most value of money right now. So if you want this, apply on the link below:

https://www316.americanexpress.com/...EE556F554&mgmerSource&MGMURN=AAAABgQeFxIXDw==

Indeed a good offer. Jumped on it and had my application processed very quickly. Now waiting to receive my card.

More details in this thread:

http://www.australianfrequentflyer....citibank-qantas-signature-60-000-a-70025.html

I'd be very confident that it will be enforced after their massive stuff up allowing people to make multiple claims for their previous offerings. IE. 3 x 50,000 points for separate cards opened at the same time.

11.5 months for me and they knocked didn't give me sign up bonus - didn't find out til 3 months after signing up and they wouldn't budge. Having paid the annual fee I was pretty angry (at myself mostly).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back