Is DC annual fee negotiable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andye

Virgin
Platinum
Oneworld
Emerald
Just tried my hand at asking for a reduced annual fee for the DC/MC combo as coming up for renewal in December.
No luck but hadn't formally threatened cancellation and didn't seem to be escalated much
Does anyone else have any data points?

There are several things I like about the card but particularly SPG transfers (sad only one more year of these likely). However, will need to get my slide rule out as to whether it still earns its keep. I don't need the lounge access, SPG Gold or insurances.

Not exactly the same situation but after considering:

- Diners acceptance is small and rapidly shrinking,
- I have insurances on fee free cards
- Lounge access when you try to use it can be spotty
- SPG is nice but always subject to change, especially as converting to AA for amazing redemptions has been 'enhanced' at the AA end

I decided the annual fee was too much to spend just for a nice looking Mastercard. When I called to cancel, no attempt to stop me by offering a reduced fee, and when I asked I got a flat no from a manager.

I managed to get mine waived but only because they are so delayed in getting my purchases onto the website and effectively "doubling up" in purchases before the "merchant" takes the money. This over a numerous amount of times has forced me to go over my "limit" when I haven't even spent that much and causing my card to get blocked. What was worse was that I was out at the pub at the time on a Friday night! So I was screwed until the Monday. Was so embarrassing.

I have been thinking a lot about switching cards but it's the combination of other cards and not getting as many points that still keeps me with Diners. Even if it is an "expensive MC" it still brings in a lot more points than a regular Visa or MC, whose points have now been devalued.

Good luck mate!

Looks like Citi must be tightening up acres the board on annual fee waivers. I got my DC annual fee waived last year based on spend (approx $300k mostly on the MC) and playing up the 'it's not very accepted' angle.
Usually get 50% off my Citi Prestige fee but got a token $50 discount this year.
My DC is coming up for renewal shortly. Will report back with my experience on fee waiver request. I'll likely keep mine best way to earn SPG points everywhere.
Andye I thought the SPG gold status was only once off through the World MC promotion.

Looks like Citi must be tightening up acres the board on annual fee waivers. I got my DC annual fee waived last year based on spend (approx $300k mostly on the MC) and playing up the 'it's not very accepted' angle.
Usually get 50% off my Citi Prestige fee but got a token $50 discount this year.
My DC is coming up for renewal shortly. Will report back with my experience on fee waiver request. I'll likely keep mine best way to earn SPG points everywhere.
Andye I thought the SPG gold status was only once off through the World MC promotion.

Thanks albyd
Havent had to renew SPG Gold so I expect you are right-I've just applied for a Plat Charge so will have SPG status with that. It does feel indulgent having both a Plat Charge and a DC but the sums seem to work for me

Has anyone else noticed that it takes forever for purchases to come up on the website? At the moment I'm up to two weeks without any more activity being posted onto the card. This is incredibly frustrating, I'm going to be using this as my waiver to cancel the yearly fee as I complained numerous times to them and always get the same answer...."website upgrade".

Agree very inconsistent. My 7 Oct statement still hasn't posted (although the rewards points have)

Has anyone else noticed that it takes forever for purchases to come up on the website? At the moment I'm up to two weeks without any more activity being posted onto the card. This is incredibly frustrating, I'm going to be using this as my waiver to cancel the yearly fee as I complained numerous times to them and always get the same answer...."website upgrade".

I can't see any transactions from this month yet, I can only see from the end of last month

Ok thanks. Glad to know it's not just me. Last transaction I can see is from the 28th Sep just FYI.

I as lucky enough to register the MC for Citi online banking before they disabled it. I can see transactions sooner on Citi online and mobile banking but there are a number of transaction which have since posted and been paid for that are still showing as 'pending'. I guess almost anything can be forgiven for the ability to earn SPG points. I keep a spreadsheet to keep track of how many I should get. It's not exact but generally close enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back