in LHR out LGW | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

in LHR out LGW

jrb17a

We're flying J TLS - LAS on BA ticket. I assume that BA is responsible for transit from LHR (arrive 07:35) to LGW (depart 11:50). Anyone experienced this? Any advice?

cambriamarsh

We're flying J TLS - LAS on BA ticket. I assume that BA is responsible for transit from LHR (arrive 07:35) to LGW (depart 11:50). Anyone experienced this? Any advice?
Don't think so, flew into LGW out of LHR yesterday, had the joy of transporting myself, +1 and bags on a National Express bus between the two.
Good luck!

jase05

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Only have done it once and that was in a cab. Cost about £90 for memory and took about 40 minutes

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I think you'll find its shank's pony between the two airport.

Himeno

Established Member
AFF Supporter
The airline is almost never responsible for arranging ground transfers between different airports, even when they offer the flights as a connection.
You'll need to get yourself between LHR and LGW, just as anyone else would between for example HND and NRT or JFK and LGA.

DC3

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
The airline is not responsible for getting anyone between airports that I’m aware of. Something like connecting from HND to NRT, or JFK to LGA.

Edit: Only just looked at Himento’s post. Beat me to it. 😀

jase05

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Surely it’s possible to arrange some form of motorised transport! o_O
Think he is just taking the Mickey.
There are cabs or Uber that do it in under an hour, direct buses between the two that takes longer or if you want you can even take the train although that requires a bit more work and a change of trains.
With a 4 hour connection I personally would Uber or cab it

jrb17a

Thanks for the responses.
Impossible to talk/communicate with BA. Had this problem with them before. Safety films still the best though. Directed to Qantas & was told I had to do it myself. However, if late, BA was responsible. After much research, Blackberry & Parker cars were the pick. Booked with Blackberry; pick up LHR to LGW for 2 is 55 pounds.

mandolino

Qantas
LT Gold
Thanks for the responses.
Impossible to talk/communicate with BA. Had this problem with them before. Safety films still the best though. Directed to Qantas & was told I had to do it myself. However, if late, BA was responsible. After much research, Blackberry & Parker cars were the pick. Booked with Blackberry; pick up LHR to LGW for 2 is 55 pounds.
Seems good enough. The bus is much cheaper but £55 isn't too bad.
As you've established, BA doesn't pay for this.

We went to Tenerife (TFS) from LGW in Feb 2019 on a BA 2for1 companion voucher business award and it involved National express buses both ways from/to LHR which is OK . They promise 55 minutes and in our experience, delivered on this promise.

Either way, car or bus, you're mostly on the M25 which is prone to jams but does seem to have improved.

Anyway, we made it comfortably on the LGW-LHR run having arrived from TFS at LGW at 17:20 and needing to depart LHR at 21:00. (3h40m whereas you have 4h15m going the other way, albeit in morning rush hour.)

jrb17a

The bus is £54 each (according to the website), total £108 compared to £55. Parker cars hopefully will be faster, private & less hassle with luggage. Cheers.

clifford

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Just as a matter of interest, I always use public transport between LHR and LGW (or VV), at a cost of £8.50/12.30 (off-peak/peak), using the tube and national rail services. It takes between 1.25 and 2 hours and I always travel HBO.

Obviously, if you are time constrained or have lots of bags or just want the convenience of one bus/car, it's not for you. However, I'm always happy to save £40 or so for other things.

Dr Ralph

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Your assumption is incorrect. Many get the bus, which is a reasonable price (for the UK anyway) if you pre-book.

mandolino

Qantas
LT Gold
I just looked up what we paid National express in April: £87.60 prepaid return LHR- LGW for 2 adults with baggage. That's not a huge saving on what OP paid one way for a dedicated limo/taxi, and although fairly punctual involved a fair bit of hanging around waiting. I think in future I'd book the car.

clifford

Established Member
AFF Supporter
FWIW, I've heard that Addison-Lee is well worth looking at for transfers between London airports. Good service and competitive prices in late-model cars/vans.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miguel Tovar