How often is your card compromised by fraudsters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trippin_the_rift

Established Member
I'm averaging once every 12 months with citibank and once every other year with ANZ. Never any problems with Amex cards!

My westpac earth got done twice a couple of years ago. I think it was the parking machines at ADL. U did not realise the automatically printed a receipt and that I needed to collect them. The receipt include all but the middle 4 numbers of the card number. I suspect that was how I got done, as there have been no problems since I started picking up the receipts.

Sent from the Throne

I dont recall my cards ever being compromised and seeing I use them frequently in many countries and online etc so find that strange. I have a pretty cavalier attitude towards fraud overall but do check every ATM slot and monitor statements.

There was the instance where I used my card in an ATM that was late compromised and the bank limited my card and forced a pin change. But that was only because their staff had failed to do proper ATM checks and they don't know when the Skimmer was attached. Card was not fraudulently used.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AustFreqFly

Hardly ever.

A number of years ago there were a couple of cab charges that looked suspicious as I used my card for some late night cabs. They could not provide any evidence of the charges and Amex refunded my money.

NAB Visa about 2-3yrs ago. I didn't actually notice anything dodgy before they rang to inform me my card was cancelled. They said something about using it in the US at a restaurant.

No idea if it was related, but within the next 6-12mths I read an article in awored about a huge CC hacking operation in the US that was hacking CC info from EFTPOS machines.

twice in the last year
about 5 grand on a westpac card. Some merchant in Japan. The bank didn't pick it up, but there were no problems with repaying the money after I filled in all the paperwork
And just last week my brand Qantas CU card was used in Saudi Arabia. The transaction was disallowed and every contact number and email address I had given was swamped with messages (good on Qantas CU I say).
I cut the card up then and there and am awaiting the new one. Absolutely no idea how the details could have been obtained. The bank rep said that sometimes it's as crude as random number generators.
But watch your statements like a hawk

Across 30 years with typically 3 cards at any one time (and an annual card spend of over $100K for the last 10 years), have only ever been compromised once and it was reversed as soon as I reported it !

Once....in Malaysia; used Diners card to pay for car rental, shortly after, I found charges at a travel agency in Singapore. Refunded pretty quickly by Diners.

The first time mine was compromised there was a few dollar transaction in South America that was refunded a couple of days later. Next month "I" purchase a few thousand dollars of airfares from south America. I saw the charge but thought nothing of it because of the refund. Live and learn.

Sent from the Throne

Never had my cards being compromised, I guess I have been lucky.

I dont recall my cards ever being compromised and seeing I use them frequently in many countries and online etc so find that strange. I have a pretty cavalier attitude towards fraud overall but do check every ATM slot and monitor statements.

There was the instance where I used my card in an ATM that was late compromised and the bank limited my card and forced a pin change. But that was only because their staff had failed to do proper ATM checks and they don't know when the Skimmer was attached. Card was not fraudulently used.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AustFreqFly

I had a similar situation to Mal, where I was in a bar in Amsterdam buying a few drinks, and a few days later when I got home to buy the local groceries to find that the credit card had been declined. Seems like the bank didn't like the location of where I had a drink. as when I phoned they said the bar I chose was a place where cards had been scammed.

I now tell the banks where I am going and try and buy drinks with cash.

(Touch wood), none of mine have been, but then I only have 1 for business and 3 personal (of which two get used OS; 28 degrees and Ing)...

One night I was buying some flights online and they where being billed in PHP and I got a phone call to say a airfare had just been purchased and was it correct. This was at app midnight QLD time and I said I had a few more air fares to purchase and what airlines they where going to be with so they would let them straight through.

Never seen fraud on card but have had two corporate Amex that were cancelled - I suspect because they had been used in cabs who were caught on other cards.

Overall fraud is getting more and more often.

I had a potential fraud happen today at work as I got an e mail to approve a new employees computer access via a webform.

I got a massive e mail from HR saying I had not followed protocol's in regards to hiring staff as they had no idea and they where an unapproved applicant and where was the resume blah blah blah.

IT has blocked there IP address now so should not be a problem now.

I've had one potential "Fraud" which was detected by GE quick smart on 19 October. I had just preordered an MS Surface, and the Microsoft Store did a quick check on the credit card with a few extra dollars over the value of the order. I got a text message within 30 minutes asking if it was fraud. Not recognising the amount as it was over the value of the purchase, I said yes, and the card was shut down pending a phone call from fraud the next day. I got a phone call from a robot, entered some details in, then put on hold until the robot hung up. I called back later, and quickly resolved. My card still hasn't been charged for the amount of the purchase - but that's another story.

My brother has had his card skimmed in Ukraine, and used at ATMs in Turkey and Egypt.

I have only had one case. About 3 years ago. Someone managed to intercept my replacement card. That bank did not require card to be activated so whoever had it was free to start spending. They did about $20,000 worth of purchases over a weekend. Looking over the charges they racked up they started out small. First with paying for parking. Then they slowly ramped it up, paying for drinks and meals. Then ipod, camera, tv, then some expensive artworks. Then the bank put a freeze on the card.

The bank were pretty good about fixing it. It was clear I was overseas at the time and all the fraudulent charges were back home. I just had to sign a declaration saying that the charges weren't mine and they reversed the fraudulent charges and gave me a new card. Never heard anything more about it not even sure if they caught the people responsible.

Other than that one case I have had no other fraud.

I have bought heaps of things from overseas with my BankWest CC and they have called quite a few times to confirm they were legit purchases which is excellent service as far as I'm concerned. Seems like they pay particular attention to small transactions that must look like test purchases. One particular web site I buy off where the transactions are often small they don't ask anymore so must have noted it was ok.

I have never been stung thankfully, and I am probably a little complacent given that all cc companies have pretty good policies but I should be more vigilant.

Sent from my iPhone using AustFreqFly app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back