How can I save my Altitude points when I cancel my Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheenaec7

I have over 126,000 points on my Westpac Altitude Platinum Card. There is a possibility I will be cancelling that card in the next couple of months. I know that the points would have to be used within 90 days of cancelling the card but is there any other way of saving/transferring them? Looking at the Altitude website it looks like you would lose half of them transferring to Kris, Air Asia etc (unless their redemption programs are better value). I know I could redeem them for a couple of flights but I've already got my 2016 flights booked and paid for. I am a QFF member and AAdvantage member.

Thanks in advance as usual :)

Hi again. I am attempting to answer my own question so I've been doing some research. It does look like, although you lose half of your points when transferring them from Altitude to Qantas, you don't actually lose value. The same flight booking via QFF takes half the points to redeem than it does using Altitude points. So, it ends up costing you just the same value-wise.

So, all I need to know now is - Am I correct? Unless, of course, you have some even better suggestions :)

The value is definitely much better if you transfer the points over to an airline frequent flyer program! The value lost is only nominal - the redemptions via airline programs are significantly cheaper so you actually gain value by transferring the points.

The only tricky part is working out where to transfer the points to. I recommend transferring to either Virgin, KrisFlyer or Cathay Asia Miles. Virgin is best for domestic redemptions while KrisFlyer and Cathay are good for redemptions to Asia and Europe. Don't bother with Air NZ or Malaysia Airlines.

Thanks Mttg

It is tricky as I'm not a member of Enrich but don't have any points with them. I have Velocity membership and some points but not sure how they are value-wise with redemptions. Just doing a test run with them now.

Thanks Mttg

It is tricky as I'm not a member of Enrich but don't have any points with them. I have Velocity membership and some points but not sure how they are value-wise with redemptions. Just doing a test run with them now.

Nothing stopping you joining any of the programs online for free, then transferring the points over.

Where would you potentially be looking to fly using your points? And in what cabin class?

I would be looking at J class flights to the UK, Europe & Hawaii over the next 2-3 years. Also J or at least premium economy MEL to Bali and MEL to DRW once a year. I've already got a J trip to Europe booked with AAdvantage miles for 2016.

Just been looking at virgin and they might be ok for some of the above. Can I use Velocity miles to redeem on their partner airlines (as I have been doing with USDM & AAdvantage)?

I would be looking at J class flights to the UK, Europe & Hawaii over the next 2-3 years. Also J or at least premium economy MEL to Bali and MEL to DRW once a year. I've already got a J trip to Europe booked with AAdvantage miles for 2016.

Just been looking at virgin and they might be ok for some of the above. Can I use Velocity miles to redeem on their partner airlines (as I have been doing with USDM & AAdvantage)?

Yes, Virgin points can be redeemed with partner airlines. The only real limiting factor (other than award availability, which applies for all programs) is their somewhat limited range of partner airlines.

Virgin is good for domestic flights/flights to Bali, while I think SQ and CX are both the best for Europe. I guess it comes down to working out what's best for you.

I think I'm happy with AAdvantage for the EU trips so far. So maybe Velocity is the one to go for to cover the Darwin and Bali trips. I've got a bit of time so will keep doing the research.

Thanks again :)

VA have a 15% bonus this month on transfers if it swings you. It includes Westpac this time . I believe Westpac have not been on the cc transfer list before but I could stand corrected, either way they are definitely on the list this month

Good timing! Thanks for the heads up.

Given what you want to use them for - Velocity is the way to go, particularly with the 15% bonus at the moment. If you decide you want SQ points instead later, you can transfer from VA at 1.35:1.

Another option would be to downgrade to the cheapest altitude card ($100 pa), reduce your limit to the minimum, keep the card and keep your points in Altitude until you need to us them. Probably not worth it given the number of points you're talking about though.

Thanks BillytheFish

Feeling confident now with all the suggestions that Velocity is the way to go :)

Feeling confident now with all the suggestions that Velocity is the way to go :)
Velocity points also have no expiry if you keep some activity on the account, which is easy to do now with BP as a source of points, other wise they expire in 3 years

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back