Hey AMEX... "I'm getting bored, so you better get a promotion started!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiz

I'm a pretty loyal customer of AMEX, but I think I'm suffering from Infrequent-Offer Stress Syndrome. It's been a couple of years now since Bonii-Gate, so I'm wondering when the next stunner deal is due? :)

I can understand that AMEX is probably STILL licking its wounds, and there is now a very tight system in place for all promotional offers, however I regret that I have not been targeted for ANY promotions recently. The only postcards I've been receiving are the odd 20% discount points-for-credit offers (good luck!)... Incidentally, I have the Platinum charge and complimentary Platinum Credit Card (or whatever it's called these days).

Please don't get me wrong - I just like to get some sort of value-for-money, given that new card members are receiving generous sign-up offers, and not to mention the AUD has been sitting around parity with the USD for some time (hence, increased income from the Australian market)... I suppose I just get the feeling that since the last 'mistake', existing card holders will no longer benefit from ongoing membership.

So, heed warning, come next renewal; either do something to reward long-term loyalty (well, 10+ years), or arm your cancellations team with a lot of ammunition, 'cause they'll be needing it! :p

Last edited:
Apart from targeted Amex promos there have also been opt-in ones available to anyone with a direct Amex Card.

Many of us are currently supping on the DSE 5 points per $ bonus...
There was the Vintage cellars bonus..

And there are various other spend bonii too.

Good value to be had if you sift, and sometimes think laterally.
There was also a little bit back 10% transfer bonus...

Seek and ye shall find....;)

Last edited:
I felt the same way 6 months ago - strong spend on Amex charge card but no loyalty bonus.

So I redirected my spend elsewhere sharply and got offered a free-for-life Platinum Edge credit card in November.

Now I'm happy picking up 3x and 2x bonus points at Supermarkets and Petrol Stations until the next big thing comes along:p

Now I'm happy picking up 3x and 2x bonus points at Supermarkets and Petrol Stations until the next big thing comes along:p

Agree. you can actually get more than 2x, 3x...

Until june 2011, all woolworths group companies (bigw, officeworks,including petrol caltex etc) are 6x via wishcard from DSE
After june 2011, all woolworths group companies (bigw, officeworks,including petrol caltex etc) are 3x via wishcard from woolworths
All coles group (kmart, target, shell etc) and Myer are 3x via coles-myer gift card from coles

So when they give 3x for grocery stores they actually give 3x for pretty much all department stores and petrol.

I just want my 20,000 bonus points to be posted for joining up!

I might have to take advantage of the DSE promo.. have been buying a couple of things from there but may actually go and buy Wish cards to capitalize on points.

Last year (2009) before Christmas they rang and gave me 10,000 MR points for being a loyal Plat charge and credit card holder, and then I had to ring them to ask where the points were. Eventually they were given about two months later.

No such offer this time around in late 2010. I think like everybody else they (Amex) may be feeling the pinch?

Given that Aussie dollar is so strong these days, they should change the coversion rate to reflect this. Amex Ascent Point 1:1 transfer to CX Asia Miles (and MH Enrich and Thai ROP) would be a good start.

Given that Aussie dollar is so strong these days, they should change the coversion rate to reflect this. Amex Ascent Point 1:1 transfer to CX Asia Miles (and MH Enrich and Thai ROP) would be a good start.

Enrich has a different redemption structure compared to others though. For example, points required for Syd-KUL on economy return is only 45,000 (you can get this at 38,500 when on offer) whilst first class is only 90,000.

Agree. you can actually get more than 2x, 3x...

Until june 2011, all woolworths group companies (bigw, officeworks,including petrol caltex etc) are 6x via wishcard from DSE
After june 2011, all woolworths group companies (bigw, officeworks,including petrol caltex etc) are 3x via wishcard from woolworths
All coles group (kmart, target, shell etc) and Myer are 3x via coles-myer gift card from coles

So when they give 3x for grocery stores they actually give 3x for pretty much all department stores and petrol.

Officeworks is not part of the Woolworths group, rather it is part of the Coles group.

I think I did ok through the hopscotch promo. I made a lot of points from the bonnii gate promo though so I am probably done for a while...

I think I did ok through the hopscotch promo. I made a lot of points from the bonnii gate promo though so I am probably done for a while...

Both lovetravellingoz and I did obscenely well from that promo, and we've still been getting regular promos since then. So it's not exactly fair.

Both lovetravellingoz and I did obscenely well from that promo, and we've still been getting regular promos since then. So it's not exactly fair.

Being pro-active helps.
In my case I am quite sure that some of my recent bonii have been due to "seeking".

I made the maximum points/$ from hopscotch, and hope they could do similar promotion again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back