Hertz Gold Plus Rewards "enhancement" from 1 Jan 19 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Hertz Gold Plus Rewards "enhancement" from 1 Jan 19

QF WP

Flights
My Map
Well the enhancements have already happened according to the email I just received o_O. Thanks for letting me know in advance Hertz :p .

The email trying to paint a positive picture:

At Hertz, we're always looking for new ways to add value to our Gold Plus Rewards® members. Effective January 1, 2019, we have updated our award-winning loyalty program, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards®.

You can look forward to:
  • Earn points even faster - and redeem them in new ways.
  • Find ways to spend your points with our 'Cash + Points' program.
But I can't match their enthusiasm when reading the new program T&C's. They give with one hand and taking with both hands: Offer

Introducing new enhancements and changes to Hertz Gold Plus Rewards®

Changes in point earning and expiry:
  • Increasing point multipliers:
  • Five Star: From a 10% bonus to a 25% bonus
  • Presidents Circle: From a 25% bonus to a 50% bonus
  • Updating Five Star qualification status from 7 rentals or $1,500 spend (excluding taxes and fees) to 12 rentals or $2,400 spend (excluding taxes and fees).
  • Changing points expiration from 24 months of activity to 18 months of inactivity.
  • Eliminating select activation bonuses including sign-up bonus and 15th rental bonus.

A better, faster experience:
  • Offering Five Star for a Day for Gold members that reach 8 rentals and President's Circle for a Day for Five Star members that reach 16 rentals so you can experience next tier benefits.
  • Offering you the chance to upgrade to any available car on the lot after your 30th and 40th rentals.
  • Guaranteeing President's Circle members their requested vehicle is available with at least 24-hour notice at our airport locations. Previously, we required at least 48-hour notice.

Flexible redemption options:
  • Introduce Cash + Points: Use a combination of points and currency instead of one or the other - to pay for rentals and vehicle upgrade.
  • Offering new ways for you to earn and use points beyond rentals - including unique and exclusive access to Hertz Rewards - our auction platform.
  • Offering you the chance to use your points to redeem for luxury vehicles in the Hertz Dream Cars Collection. (Effective mid-January 2019)

Last edited:

boomy

AFF Supporter
Looking forward to see how open will the Dream Car collection be using points. One of the annoying things about Hertz is they only allow basic and boring car reservations in Europe when using points. So far was lucky to get good upgrades on the spot but it’s an unnecessary gamble each time. Will be good to be able to book some nice cars in advance.

QF WP

Flights
My Map
I just want them to continue to credit to AA, so I keep my AAccount open. I've almost given up on hire car with the advent of Uber. Why drive in an unfamiliar city?? I must be getting old..

QF WP

Flights
My Map
@burmans, sorry for my obtuseness. My major issue is that they giveth with one hand:

Changes in point earning and expiry:
  • Increasing point multipliers:
  • Five Star: From a 10% bonus to a 25% bonus
but they taketh with both hands:

• Updating Five Star qualification status from 7 rentals or $1,500 spend (excluding taxes and fees) to 12 rentals or $2,400 spend (excluding taxes and fees).
  • Changing points expiration from 24 months of activity to 18 months of inactivity.
  • Eliminating select activation bonuses including sign-up bonus and 15th rental bonus.
My major beef is that they changes the rules retrospectively (as the email was received 10 January, with the changes made effective 1 January).

using the word "updating" is merely Marketing trying to make it appear positive (it is for them), when in fact that is a massive jump in qualification requirements. A 70% increase in rentals and 60% in spend.

As a side note, It's a pity that my wife had an accident in our car (not her fault) and the insurer gave us a hire car (Hertz) and I can't put in my card number in it. We have the car for a month as the accident happened in mid-December and no panelbeater could do the work before Xmas...

Flashback

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I still have my Hertz President's Circle membership, going on 3 years or so now. Status matched from Accor Platinum when I had it (thanks AMEX Plat!) and it never seems to have dropped. That being said, I've recently been finding direct pricing (even with CDP) really expensive, so have been straying away from booking with them.

QF WP

Flights
My Map
Same with my previous President Circle membership (think it was from VA Platinum). I had it for between 2-3 years and still have the CDP code in my profile.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pam43