Has anyone else noticed a drop in Amex customer service

Status
Not open for further replies.

N860CR

I've always been really impressed with Amex and their service, but has anyone else noticed a serious drop off of late?

Whenever I've contacted them in the past, I've managed to get onto somebody who takes responsibility and deals with the issue. Whenever I contact them now, the person I speak to (who is generally in India or the Philippines - not that it matters, but just a point of interest) and very quickly says "not my problem, another department deals with that - they're closed. No, can't send them a message, call back later".

I've now had the same issue with the card travel credit not appearing several times, but the standard response is "call platinum travel, only they can help you, they're available 24/7 - I'll transfer you". Of course, when transferred, they're closed and only open during limited EST business hours. The online chat staff are totally hopeless and lie through their teeth just to get you off the line.

It's really frustrating, as it was always a fairly easy company to deal with.

I've always been really impressed with Amex and their service, but has anyone else noticed a serious drop off of late?

Whenever I've contacted them in the past, I've managed to get onto somebody who takes responsibility and deals with the issue. Whenever I contact them now, the person I speak to (who is generally in India or the Philippines - not that it matters, but just a point of interest) and very quickly says "not my problem, another department deals with that - they're closed. No, can't send them a message, call back later".

I've now had the same issue with the card travel credit not appearing several times, but the standard response is "call platinum travel, only they can help you, they're available 24/7 - I'll transfer you". Of course, when transferred, they're closed and only open during limited EST business hours. The online chat staff are totally hopeless and lie through their teeth just to get you off the line.

It's really frustrating, as it was always a fairly easy company to deal with.
I have rarely had a need to call them. Their attention to possible fraudulent transactions has always been good in my experience & my latest calls for the "free" flights was good as always.

I have a serious complaint lodged with Amex at the moment on the verge of going to the ombudsman. Been with them for over 10 years and up until about 1 month ago their service has been flawless but going through some of the worst customer care staff I've ever dealt with at the moment. So I'm a little conflicted - have been excellent for a majority of my time with them but have really dropped the ball lately!

I swear I've called them on a weekend previously and they could action stuff for me or at least get onto it on the Monday but yesterday I called and same thing as above - call back during working hours :(.

I have a serious complaint lodged with Amex at the moment on the verge of going to the ombudsman. Been with them for over 10 years and up until about 1 month ago their service has been flawless but going through some of the worst customer care staff I've ever dealt with at the moment. So I'm a little conflicted - have been excellent for a majority of my time with them but have really dropped the ball lately!

I had similar, and already filed a complaint with the obudsman. Someone from the 'executive' customer service team has been trying to contact me, assuming in regards to the complaint.

But answering the original question, yes, the agents/supervisors/managers I've spoken to don't give a fxx_ anymore.

I had really good customer service from the Plat Charge line on Wednesday - it wasn't a complicated request tho.

Same here, going from excellent 24/7 service to "call back during AEST opening hours" and even then the service leaves a lot to wish for. Took me three days to get a hold of someone (shift work and lives in Perth, not a good combo).

We had about 20 restaurant bookings for this trip we are currently on (Singapore, Rome, Milan, Lyon, Bordeaux, Epernay, Paris, and London). All submitted in writing, with any specific instructions (I have major OCD when it comes to organising holidays, so the lists were detailed and clear). I would say about 50% of the booking have had problems including:

- Platinum table benefits listed on the Amex page for a 3 Michelin Star were confirmed by concierge but not offered or included at the dinner (welcome Champage, tour of kitchen, and signed menu by the chef)
- Incorrect phone number being given with bookings (I gave a UK mobile number for them to include with all bookings)
- Bookings were submitted well in advance, and concierge advised they "made a note in diary" to make booking when dates avail with certain restaurants. For example, Ledbury in London only accepts bookings XX days out, but we submitted our list well before this, as we wanted a table for the last night in London, the last night of our holiday. The concierge forgot to make the booking, and when she sent me the list of confirmations, the booking was on another date, and she simply said "no tables avail on friday 26 May" but when I pushed, she said "there was an issue with the system".
- Two places so far there has been no booking at all, one we were turned away!

Every error that I caught in advance or have brought up during the trip, the same concierge always seems to blame someone else. "My colleague failed to do xx_xx", "I had asked a colleague to follow up", "computer problems", etc.

I am so fed up, I will be filing a detailed complaint, and cancelling my Amex Plat Charge and Amex Plat Reserve when I return from the holiday.

I'm glad it's not just me... some of the recent experiences have been laughable to say the least.

I called Plat desk Saturday and went through to Philippines - agent nigh on useless - called back this morn and got Frank in SYD - impeccable service - just a pleasure to deal with.

No complaints other than they took that concierge request form and make me speak to someone :-|

Sometimes it's just easier for things to be written if it's a specific request etc so nothing will be missed.

I usually email my requests so I have my own record of the request and the response: [email protected]

No complaints other than they took that concierge request form and make me speak to someone :-|

Sometimes it's just easier for things to be written if it's a specific request etc so nothing will be missed.

Further to my post yesterday, we went to dinner in Paris, and again, NO BOOKING.... They finally found it for Thursday (despite Amex emailing me an itinerary sating last night), with my Australian mobile instead of my UK mobile, and the Australian one was wrong anyway. I fired off an email from the awful communal table we were seated at while I took some deep breaths. This was the response:

Hi Rob,

I know I am beginning to sound like a broken record but I can not apologise enough for the issues you have experienced so far with your bookings. I am really baffled to how these reservations were not confirmed correctly and will ensure that these errors are followed up.

I will organise for you to be contacted by my Team Leader once you are back in Australia and I have begun to explain the issues we have encountered, so he is across this. I know your last day in London is the 27th May. Shall I request that your contacted on Monday the 29th May?

Please allow me to reconfirm all your future reservations and also follow up with your request for Dandelyan tomorrow (the 23rd May).

Again I am so sorry for the impact that I know this has had on your holiday! I will make sure you are contacted shortly.

Warm regards,

xx_xx_xx_
xx_xx_xx_xx_x | Premium Lifestyle Executive| Travel & Lifestyle Servicing
American Express | Level 4, 12 Shelley Street Sydney NSW 2000

I actually logged on to post on the Explorer page that it only took me one call to order a supp card and have my points moved over to the Edge card. I was very impressed. Your issues sound especially bad Robtemt!

Got onto them tonight... Still following up on the complaint regarding the inability for my Edge and Explorer travel credit to work if the cards are on the same login.

After half an hour of stuffing around, the agent said "there is no update, complaints are resolved within 7-10 days". When I pointed out that it had been over 2 weeks, they said "when a resolution is reached, the notes on your account will be updated". I questioned this, and asked the agent to confirm that nobody would contact me, and the process was for me to call everyday and check if there was an update. "Yes! That's right!" is what they said, but they did go onto say that maybe I should just call once a week so as to not inconvienience myself

I got an email this morning from them stating that they had reduced my credit limit down to the current balance (I had $10,000 available on a 30k limit) with no reason or explanation. I have never missed a payment nor have I ever approached my (now previous) credit limit. Not that I care much about the reduced limit itself, but I'd like to know why it was reduced without consultation, explanation or any reasonable notice. Too bad if I had been overseas and reliant on the extra funds to pay a hotel bill or something.
Bizarre way to deal with your customers.

Well, we walked into the last fine dining booking we had for our Europe holiday. Two Michelin Star restaurant..... Amex initially failed to make the booking when the books opened up for this restaurant, for our last night in London. The only night they could get was tonight.

We've emailed Amex twice since, asking to see if there are any opening for Friday, instead of tonight.... No, only Wednesday. Show up tonight.... NO record of any boking under my name, any variation of my name, my Oz mobile, my UK mobile, etc. We were turned away.

They even mentioned that they have had numerous issues with Amex bookings, and are considering not accepting bookings from Amex Lifestyle Services anymore!

I'm beyond furious with Amex at this point.

I actually logged on to post on the Explorer page that it only took me one call to order a supp card and have my points moved over to the Edge card. I was very impressed. Your issues sound especially bad Robtemt!

I've had excellent device using web chat or the phone. Most recently the customer service rep advised me of a promotional offer. 3.99% for all new purchases for the next 6 months.

Well, we walked into the last fine dining booking we had for our Europe holiday. Two Michelin Star restaurant..... Amex initially failed to make the booking when the books opened up for this restaurant, for our last night in London. The only night they could get was tonight.

We've emailed Amex twice since, asking to see if there are any opening for Friday, instead of tonight.... No, only Wednesday. Show up tonight.... NO record of any boking under my name, any variation of my name, my Oz mobile, my UK mobile, etc. We were turned away.

They even mentioned that they have had numerous issues with Amex bookings, and are considering not accepting bookings from Amex Lifestyle Services anymore!

I'm beyond furious with Amex at this point.

thank you for sharing your experiences.. do let us know how they compensate you. I think you should ask for compensation then dump the card afterwards. Hope you get something out of this ordeal.

We heard back from Amex today via email (although we also received a phone call from concierge who claimed that she spoke with the restaurant and they have an opening for us tonight (yet it was only 830am).... :

Good morning Mr Town,

Firstly please accept our sincerest apologies for the constant issues which have been faced with your bookings whilst travelling in Europe. I am at a loss as to how your reservation last night was not recorded, especially after we had this reconfirmed for you only a matter of days ago, we will be calling The Ledbury for further clarification of this as we not only had the table booked, but confirmed on May 22 for you as per James' email.

We are currently conducting a full investigation into all of your restaurant bookings and how so many of them went wrong and we will work with our team in the UK to get to the bottom of this.

As requested I have escalated your concerns to Mr xx_xx xx_xx_ who is the Leader of Lifestyle Operations and xx_xx will be happy to speak with you upon your return on Tuesday, if you would be kind enough to advise the best time for a call, I will ensure it is arranged.

I'll see how it goes next week, but didnt want to fight with them this week while still overseas. I know in my head I have what I think is fair compensation, but what do other members think? At least 5 bookings were incorrect or there was no booking when we arrived. I've had to email Amex TEN times during my holiday (to sort out errors they've made), and one of the "platinum member offers" was not honoured at one 3* dinner that was over $1200 for two of us.

thank you for sharing your experiences.. do let us know how they compensate you. I think you should ask for compensation then dump the card afterwards. Hope you get something out of this ordeal.

Amex don't seem to place a great deal of value on your time. I've spent about 5 hours dealing with them so far trying to fix this travel credit issue and asked for what I thought was a reasonable 30,000 MR points. The Indian woman laughed and said "go ahead and complaint to the FOS and see how that goes".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back