Hainan Airlines (HU) OZ-China 30 Times

Discussion in 'Cheap International Airfares' started by Cruiser Elite, Aug 10, 2018 at 4:16 PM.

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
(Click HERE for a welcome message from our founder.)

Our site contains tons of information that is guaranteed to improve your travel experience. Be it tips on how to fly in First/Business at a reduced cost, smart ways to earn more points, the best way to use your points, cheap deals, hand-picked hotel recommendations, detailed trip reports.

We hope you find the information useful and decide to join our online community.

Joining AFF is fast, simple and ABSOLUTELY FREE - so why not join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear freeing up more space on your screen!
And you will see fewer advertisements :)

1. Cruiser Elite

Cruiser Elite Senior Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Melburn
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #1 Cruiser Elite, Aug 10, 2018 at 4:16 PM
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 4:21 PM
    Hainan Airlines Australian Family Diamond Deal - https://www.hainanairlines.com/AU/GB/Travel-Products?CAMPAIGN_ID=613

For A$33K you get 30 Return J flts Oz-China can be shared between 4 pax over next 3 years - now that is creative.
    Advertisement

At today's Taxes & Charges rate approx ret flt each A$1,290 - who is brave enough to drop their toes in the water?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Saltywings

Saltywings Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Super creative!

Now, who's willing to take the wager that Hainan will be around (in similar shape, way or form) by the end of the 3 years? :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MikaD

MikaD Junior Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Brisbane
    Cashflow issues at HU? Good deal for an expat family

Is this part correct?
    "After the product expires, passengers who have not used all the flights can redeem them for Hainan Airlines regular-priced international tickets at a value of AUD 11,000 per round trip."

4. Azure

Azure Newbie

Jul 6, 2018
    It's actually lower value than this, since you can very often buy one round trip business class for AUD 2,000- 2,500.

5. Oxy

Oxy Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Wow that's pretty crazy. Never heard of anything like it. Pretty good value too, no blackout dates. If you do two Christmas holidays for a family of 4 its just about paid for itself. Some wierd conditions though, one of the companions must be over 60 and another 22 or under!! Odd.

This is the only condition about routing I can find:

"5. Applicable fare class and routes: Product fare class R, applicable to Hainan Airlines flights on Australia routes departing from China or overseas."

That seems very ambiguous, would someone care to clarify?

6. Azure

Azure Newbie

Jul 6, 2018
    \

This is actually the cheapest one, others are double the price. They (HU) surely lack cash nowadays. I've flown HU since 2016... They actually only have Australia to China routes, no other countries. Chances are you can take connecting flights from other countries but I guess would be more expensive and once the specified fare tickets gone you need to pay extra for fare differences or choose another date? Anyways I recently got MEL-CSX-PVG economic return for 950 AUD for two ppl. Even had a stopover at CSX for a week. Fare types were U-Y...

7. Isochronous

Isochronous Established Member

Dec 18, 2009
    1A
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Clever offer. Good on them for trying something different.

8. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    A friend of mine is looking to buy this. I’ll let you know how it goes. Fair amount of due diligence to do first!

• Like Like x 3
  9. odysseus

odysseus Active Member

Feb 16, 2009
    What they're saying is they're offering a credit for up to that amount. If the fare you want to book is more than that, then you pay the extra. If the fare you want is less then the difference is absorbed.

10. jase05

jase05 Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Yes, I have a work colleague that is very interested in this deal. I sent him a text this morning to let him no and he is looking into it. He travels from Adelaide to Xi’an twice a year with his wife and two children under 10 to visit his parents. The over 60yo may be a kicker but he will definitely look into it

• Like Like x 1
  11. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    It was an ‘either, or’ IIRC. A person(s) under 22 or someone over 60. Somthe two kids will satisfy the requirement.

12. jase05

jase05 Member

Jan 24, 2018
    That would be brilliant for him. I guess he just needs to go over the fine print to see how long out he can book etc as it’s quite dependant on his work as to when he heads over there each year and it’s often with only a month or two notice so costs him a small fortune.

13. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    I don’t think this is going to be suitable for my friend. The connections to some cities are as long as 15 hours (overnight). That’s pretty much a deal killer.

14. NZflygirl

NZflygirl Established Member

Jul 16, 2015
    New Zealand
    This sounds like those vacation club hotel deals saying you’re getting it for cheap if you pay up front now. Pay 27k to buy 1.5k points which renew yearly to use but book early to secure availability, oh and yearly fees etc. Bit of a sweetener with status.

Circumstances can change or if no availability then you’re stuck paying for something you’re not using.

No thanks!

15. There'sOnlyOneJimmy

Jun 3, 2014
    MEL
    For those old enough to remember Compass Airlines, they ran this offer a few weeks before they collapsed. Our business was left holding about $10,000 worth of unusable tickets...

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. docjames

docjames Senior Member

Jul 10, 2007
    On the highway
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    This would be my concern with this offer.