French Pacific Franc

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

Not a flying question but I am sure there will be plenty who know the answer. We are going on a cruise next year which will stop at, amongst other places, New Caledonia and French Polynesia. I not that the currency is French Pacific Francs, but it also appears US $ are accepted. Not knowing the availability of ATM's which I think would be scarce, what are the recommendations for currency. As we will be ending up in Hawaii USD is probably the answer, but I don't know the extent to which they are accepted. I assume you can buy CFP here in Australia from banks/ Australia Post?

I haven't been there for 5-6 years but I don't remember anywhere I went taking USD. I recall the the XPF was linked to the Euro and there was a fixed exchange rate.

I guess others with more recent experience will be able to advise

Curious also. Going to Noumea for the first time next year. Planing to use XPF (and hoping to get them at the airport).

I wouldn't overload on these secondary currencies as they are hard or can be hard to unload. I would have thought credit card would be the most economical bet unless you are buying small stuff

I travel there reasonably often, and usually buy some at SYD or BNE before leaving. They usually have them at the money exchange counters after security, but sometimes not at the ones on landside. It's not such a popular currency for the money traders, so the airport exchange rate is not great.

There are plenty of ATMs all over New Caledonia, and I have never had a problem with them accepting my normal Australian debit or credit cards to get currency. You can also get local change from the "supermarches" (supermarkets) which mostly accept cards for payment.

When you go, either switch off your mobile phone or buy a local SIM card (also readily available everywhere). The roaming rates are stupendously high.

If you are going on a cruise you will only be there 1 day (normal cruises) so I would only be taking the equivalent of $50 - $75 for small things like a bottle of water or short taxi rides etc. Every country has gone electronic including New Caledonia. Credit cards, EFTPOS, ATM's are all widely used

We were in PPT in May and I had some XPF left over from a trip to New Caledonia a couple of years ago. However the merchants do not want to know about XPF from the other colony.

I agree with eric2011, only change a small amount. Using my Citibank Plus debit card there was no fee and the exchange rate wasn't too bad.

Curious also. Going to Noumea for the first time next year. Planing to use XPF (and hoping to get them at the airport).

There are accessible ATMs at the airport on arrival

Thanks for the response, I don't like carrying much cash and if eftpos is common would much rather use the Citibank card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back