EQUIFAX + False representations and unconscionable conduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

get me outta here

Qantas
LT Silver
Rec'd this and have applied for refunds, I hope. (Put it here as it's where the other Equifax info is located).

False representations and unconscionable conduct by Equifax Australia Information Services and Solutions Pty Ltd
Following action by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), the Federal Court of Australia declared that Equifax Australia Information Services and Solutions Pty Ltd (Equifax) engaged in conduct that contravened multiple provisions of the Australian Consumer Law.

Equifax’s conduct

The Court found that Equifax, in telephone calls with consumers, made false or misleadingrepresentations from time to time as follows:

1. between 5 July 2016 to 3 March 2017, Equifax represented that the Equifax credit score consumers received as part of its services was the same credit score as that which credit providers used to assess credit applications, extensions of credit or the terms upon which credit would be provided to consumers, when in fact:
    • some credit providers did not use the Equifax credit score;
    • other credit providers used the Equifax score in limited circumstances only;
      and
    • the Equifax credit score provided to a credit provider may for various reasons have differed from the credit score provided to a consumer.
  2. between 7 July 2016 to 3 March 2017, Equifax represented that its credit report provided as part of its paid service was more comprehensive than its free credit report, when in fact they contained the same information;
  3. between 1 February 2016 and 3 March 2017, Equifax represented that consumers would be charged a single ‘one-off’ or ‘one-time’ payment for services, and failed to disclose that the services were automatically renewed unless the customer opted out, when in fact the services were automatically renewed and the consumer was charged for further 12 month periods unless the consumer took steps to opt out of the renewal.
The Court also found that between 14 August 2016 and 10 October 2017 Equifax engaged in conduct during its dealings with three consumers that was unconscionable.

As part of its orders, the Court has required Equifax to:

• provide refunds to affected consumers;
  • refrain from engaging in similar conduct; and
  • pay pecuniary penalties of $3.5 million and $100,000 toward the ACCC’s costs.
Consumer Refunds

If you have been affected by this conduct you are entitled to a refund if you purchased a standalone (non-subscription) credit report called My Credit File, or a My Credit Alert (formerly My Veda Alert), Equifax Basic (formerly Veda Starter), Equifax Plus (formerly Veda Access), Equifax Advanced (formerly Veda ID), or Equifax Premium (formerly Veda Plan) service from Equifax over the telephone between:

1. 7 July 2016 to 3 March 2017, and Equifax made either or both of the representations referred to in paragraphs (1) and (2) above; or
  2. 1 February 2016 and 3 March 2017, and Equifax engaged in the conduct referred to in paragraph (3) above.
Refund requests will be assessed with regard to recordings of the phone calls between you and Equifax representatives. You will be able to make a refund request up until 14 May, 2019.

Any refund requests that are refused by Equifax for a reason other than that you already received a refund from Equifax will be automatically reviewed by an independent third party within 30 days.

Consumers entitled to a refund should contact Equifax using the following:

• Call us on 1800 958 378 (8.30am-5pm AEST, Monday to Friday); or
  • Email us at [email protected]; or
  • Download and complete a refund request form OR send a letter with the following details included: Full Name, Date of Birth, Address, State, Postcode, PAS Reference (if available on your credit report), Product Name and Purchase Date. For contact purposes, please also provide your Phone Number & Email address.

The printed refund request form OR letter can be sent to:
    • Equifax
      C/O: Complaints Leader
      PO Box 964
      North Sydney, NSW 2059
This corrective notice has been published by Equifax pursuant to an order of the Federal Court of Australia in an action commenced by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.

My claim was knocked back due to buying it initially over the phone and then it was charged automatically onto my cc. This is not in the spirit of the claim as I bought it based on their initial information. I'm not happy. :

"We are writing to inform that your request for a refund of your product has been declined.

To be eligible for a refund you must have purchased your product between 1 February 2016 and 3 March 2017 inclusive and have made the purchase over the phone. Although your purchase was over the phone, you purchased your product on the 20th February 2015.

You'd think a company that just admitted that they provide a paid service based on false pretenses and which contains nothing that is not freely available via other channels (although I suspect it's the frequency that they provide it which is the key benefit) would be a bit more contrite and try to salvage their remaining customer base.

I have to say, I do not find much value in my subscription and given this behaviour coming to light, I am not sure I'll be renewing.

I am not eligible for a refund as I purchased online.

You'd think a company that just admitted that they provide a paid service based on false pretenses and which contains nothing that is not freely available via other channels (although I suspect it's the frequency that they provide it which is the key benefit) would be a bit more contrite and try to salvage their remaining customer base.

I have to say, I do not find much value in my subscription and given this behaviour coming to light, I am not sure I'll be renewing.

I am not eligible for a refund as I purchased online.

I got a refund when I "Paid" for their services while back. And from memory, I did purchase the report online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back