electricity and gas payments

Status
Not open for further replies.

glass

does anyone know any electricity and gas providers in Sydney New South Wales that takes American Express for payments? I am currently using AGL and they only take Visa and MasterCard with a small surcharge. I haven't found any companies that take American Express

I have Simply Energy for both Gas and Electricity. Not only do they take American Express (and hence earn QFF points), but they also give QFF points in their own right as well.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that Simply Energy are only in the SA and Victorian markets.

Richard.

Simply Energy is an energy retailer for Victoria and South Australia

I am going to comapre them to my current retailer Origin, simply for the fact they take AMEX

Last edited:
I have Simply Energy for both Gas and Electricity. Not only do they take American Express (and hence earn QFF points), but they also give QFF points in their own right as well.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that Simply Energy are only in the SA and Victorian markets.

Richard.

Thats odd..I just had a look at their website...and it seems to indicate that they only take MC and VISA??????

Last edited:
EnergyAustralia accepts AMEX through Direct Debit.

It was Energy Australia I signed up with originally before they transferred us to Simply Energy. That included my existing Amex direct debits. I didnt realise that Energy Australia was still in the market (they arent in SA now).

Richard.

It was Energy Australia I signed up with originally before they transferred us to Simply Energy. That included my existing Amex direct debits. I didnt realise that Energy Australia was still in the market (they arent in SA now).

Richard.

That may be why you can do it.

However this is what is on their site at present (and so this may not be an option for new people):

C. Customer’s Automatic Payment Details​
Complete either 1. or 2.
1. Payment from Credit Card​
MasterCard​
(Simply Energy does not accept AMEX or Diners)

Thats odd..I just had a look at their website...and it seems to inficate that they only take MC and VISA??????

How very interesting ! It certainly does say that Simply Energy does not accept American Express or Diners Club, in several places - but they are still debiting my Amex card and have never raised it with me. My last debit was just last month. From the Amex site...
Code:
23 Sep  SIMPLY ENERGY ADELAIDE SA                          90.24
Interestingly the corresponding QFF points credit still appear to come from Energy Australia (from the QFF site)...
Code:
29 SEP 08    ENERGYAUSTRALIA POINTS 29SEP08    -     -     -    90     -
Richard.

Thanks Richard..looks like you are lucky on both counts.

I see no mention of FF points on either site...so it looks like you are on some type of legacy deal.

Last edited:
You guys are lucky you have a choice - there's nobody in the WA market that accepts Amex for electricity, gas or water.

Thats odd..I just had a look at their website...and it seems to indicate that they only take MC and VISA??????

Yep was about to mention that, but it appears that only MC/VISA are accepted for bill payments. Where a direct debit setup may be different ?

Well for Amex this will earn them revenue past the No Limit Promotion ceasing.

Without their promotion I would not have thought to look.

This will push another $1000-2000 per year their way.

Red Energy accept AMEX when paying online via their website or via Australia Post billpay (but not for direct debits). Only just found this out so that will be my preferred method of payment from my next bill.

It's renewable energy, too!

(Not sure it's available outside of Victoria and South Australia, though.)

RWatts, aside from quite an apt name for such a discussion! Your lucky to be able to pay for it with Amex firstly,and secondly - can we swap power bills... lol

I pay around that for a week not a month! Mind you the main thing is that Global Warming doesnt happen in our neighbourhood apparently, its all about comfort according to MrsGurio.

Anywho, we are like StevePER here in Tassie, The only option we ahve where we live is Aurora who have this cool Pay-as-you-go thingie where you just top up the power like some do their phone. Its the best thing for self employed people who dont get paid every week, and you can tell exactly what costs how much to run. For instance we had a wall heater i put in late one Sunday night (Don't ask!) and we found out it costs us around a $1.50 a day to run. Interesting setup for me who likes to see how things work!

Energy Australia DOES Accept Amex through Direct Debit Only.

It is not advertised on the Website and is not a legacy deal.

You will need to speak with customer service at EA about this, if the operator says no, escalate until you get a yes. Take it from me, They DO ACCEPT AMEX.

Sounds like AMEX is on it's last legs there then.

Plug could be pulled at any time

No, quite the opposite. Its a deliberate strategy on EA's part. I have dealt with them in the past and know how their billing section works in my professional capacity.

Don't worry about it, just sign up for Direct Debit with your AMEX and you will be fine.

Energy Australia DOES Accept Amex through Direct Debit Only.

It is not advertised on the Website and is not a legacy deal.

You will need to speak with customer service at EA about this, if the operator says no, escalate until you get a yes. Take it from me, They DO ACCEPT AMEX.

The details in regards to the acceptance of AMEX with EnergyAustralia are all listed on their website (for NSW anyway) at EnergyAustralia - Paying your bill.

The form for setting up Direct Debit to AMEX can be found at http://www.energy.com.au/energy/ea.nsf/AttachmentsByTitle/AMEX+Payment+form/$FILE/AMEX7444306.pdf.

Simply Energy have never accepted AMEX from me. If I needed another reason to dump them their electricty price is very high and they just trebled - I kid you not - my gas charge in one go. Well I hardly use any gas so it is only about an extra $70 per quarter but still. Claimed they had been undercharging me till now coz I had an old imperial type meter (meaning they would have been undercharging at this address for 50 years or so - yeah right).

So there may be a way to twist their arm to take AMEX as others here report but just check their prices first, you may pay boondies for this small privledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back