Domestic Car Rental Insurance on the Citibank Signature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatsthatmattressman

Moved from an ANZ Platinum card last year that had Domestic (Australia) car rental insurance built in so I always turned down insurance from Hertz and the like.

Haven't used my Citibank Signature for rentals but about to today; does it come with Domestic Car rental insurance. I saw something in the overseas section but need to know about Australia?

Any links / guidance would be helpful!

There is a very limited Domestic Rental excess cover: https://www.citibank.com.au/global_images/complimentaryinsurance/pdf/Termsandconditions.pdf

It is only applicable if in relation to defined basic vehicle types and in conjunction with travel by flying interstate.

At $2250 maximum it is basically useless, moreover you need to pay for the flights using your citibank card / points.

With the ANZ platinum, all you need to do for domestic cover is be 'a card holder' - also, it allows up to $5000 excess.

‘interstate flight’ means travel on a registered
and scheduled commercial passenger airline
from any Australian state or territory to another
Australian state or territory.
‘rental vehicle’ means a rented sedan and/or
station wagon but not any other style of vehicle,
rented from a licenced motor vehicle rental
agency.

Many thanks mate ...hmm it does seem to be a hassle compared to the ANZ card doesn't it!

Looks like I will have to buy insurance at the counter ...cheers serfty!

There is a very limited Domestic Rental excess cover: https://www.citibank.com.au/global_images/complimentaryinsurance/pdf/Termsandconditions.pdf

It is only applicable if in relation to the defined vehicle types and in conjunction with a flight interstate.

At $2250 maximum it is basically useless, moreover you have need to pay for the flights using your citibank card / points.

With the ANZ platinum, all you need to do for domestic cover is be 'a card holder' - also, it allows up to $5000 excess.

Didn't ANZ have a 'must pay for all our travel with the card' clause? Was hunting around for it but no longer see; have they removed it? i.e. do you simply need to rent the vehicle with your qualifying card but you can pay for flights with another card?

Didn't ANZ have a 'must pay for all our travel with the card' clause? Was hunting around for it but no longer see; have they removed it? i.e. do you simply need to rent the vehicle with your qualifying card but you can pay for flights with another card?

The commercial card 'Business ONE' still has the clause must pay all travel expenses on this card but the atomism I have has to be a min of $250 on anything travel related.

Looks like I will have to buy insurance at the counter ...cheers serfty!
Buy domestic travel insurance instead. I have used this site finderdotcomdotau/travel-insurance/domestic-travel-insurance to get 10% discount off Insure and Go. 1 week cost $33.00 for $4000.00 rental car excess coverage. Considerably cheaper than buying insurance at the rental counter.

I did the same but got very cheap cover from onlinetravelinsurance.com.au which is actually allianz, it only gave $3000 excess cover but that was enough for my budget rental car excess of $2500. Insure and go are also good and give entertainment book discount but this one worked out cheaper for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back