Diner's not accepted (when you expect it to be)

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenfrog86

So my first week with a Diner's and MC combo is now over and I've used the MC about six times and the Diner's once at Woolworths...

During this week I've also tried the Diner's card at two restaurants, one on a Wednesday (which got me a little excited about the potential points earn) however both said they do not take Diner's, despite being listed on the website.

The Belgian Beer Garden in Melbourne said they stopped a few months ago and my favourite little cafe in South Yarra were all shocked when I pulled out a Diner's card and then proceeded to explain that it had been removed from their merchant facility because they didn't process enough transactions.

I thought that in the same way that we have the Amex 'not accepted or surcharged' thread, perhaps this could be the place where we Diner's members could list our experiences so that Diner's (who appear to occasionally read these threads) might understand our frustration and anger...

Maybes its best to change the title to "Diners Accepted" otherwise it could be a very very long thread :) :)

Until the card has been swiped at it doesn't come back with "card not accepted", I wouldn't believe the website, iphone app or even the Diners Club sticker at the merchant.

Until the card has been swiped at it doesn't come back with "card not accepted", I wouldn't believe the website, iphone app or even the Diners Club sticker at the merchant.

I'm trying my luck at places at the moment as I'm considering this to be an experiment, and so far I've got a 100% strike rate with dining establishments being listed as merchants by Diner's and having all of them give me a mix of confused looks, laughs, through to downright rude responses when I've tried to use my card.

I have however discovered that Diner's can be linked to Aus PayPal accounts, used at Dymocks (of all places!) and Amazon (I used it for a Kindle purchase today).

Needless to say that Diner's will be receiving a written complaint from me shortly as their 'merchant acceptance' information is clearly out of date and deceptive.

Basic business fundamentals would surely indicate that a company shouldn't issue press releases, relaunch a frequent flyer product and advertise on TV if almost nobody in Australia will actually allow you to use your card...

Maybe that's where the $60k cap on the Qantas card comes from - nobody has every managed to spend more than this as there is only so much shopping you can do at coles/woolworths/myer/DJs/Big W/Dymocks/PayPal and overseas shopping...

I think Harvey Norman advertises Diners on their tv commercial...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back