Qantas Original Routing Credit due to Involuntary Rerouting

Is the FF centre also off shore?? :confused:

Used to be a quick phone call or email to the aussie-based team and things like SCs and missing miles were credited pretty quick.

I can't help with your question but I got bumped MEL-LAX last week and the offered to refund me the difference with points. I was able to vet rebooked out of Sydney on QF11 the next morning and got a cab charge home and back as I live about 30 mins from MEL. They are also paying for my RAT as my one became invalid for the delay. If I'd failed the second one I would have been furious.

Is the FF centre also off shore?? :confused:

Used to be a quick phone call or email to the aussie-based team and things like SCs and missing miles were credited pretty quick.

The FF team has been MNL based for years as far as I know. The Customer Care team is still Australia based.

As an update, I got frustrated and fed up on my seventh call to the FF line yesterday when they told me that the original team member would follow up on my request and call me back within 24-48 hours. I told them that I had already been promised a call back six times, yet had not been called back.

After telling the assistant that I wanted to speak to a supervisor, I was told that my matter would be escalated to one and that a supervisor would call back either yesterday or this morning. As expected, that didn’t happen.

When I called what has been listed as the Customer Care line this afternoon to lodge a complaint over phone (the first automated message states that it is Qantas Customer Care), I learnt that it is a phone line that automatically directs to the reservations team. When I got through to that reservations team I asked if they could transfer me to Customer Care. Guess what happened? I ended up being transferred back to reservations!

I know I can lodge a complaint using their web form but as others have experienced, those are also ignored. My most recent complaint only got a response after 12 weeks and only after emailing Stephanie Tully.

In a way, the original QF reaccomodation onto DL could have been a blessing in disguise. I was rebooked onto DL J which was far better than any recent transpacific J experience I have had in J on QF (I have had two LAX-SYD flights in QF J in the past 5 months, both of which have been very ordinary). There are clearly better (or at the very least, less terrible) options out there which are worth exploring.

TL, DR UPDATE: Status credits have now been posted after 12 calls and an email to the FF team.

During my 11th call this morning, I was promised that I would get a call back by a supervisor today. I got a call at around 4pm, however, missed it as I was on another call at the time. When I listened to the VM which was not left my a supervisor, I was told that there was no update as the “other team” hadn’t reviewed the request yet.

When I called back after that VM (the 12th call), the operator put me on hold to review the request. When she came back, she asked for a boarding pass for the DL flight flown. When I told her that I had provided this three weeks ago, she went back over their files and found it. She then said that they would credit the ORC status credits manually over the phone.

So the lesson seems to be that they do have the power to credit the status credits manually with little intervention from anyone else (or from “another team”), however, it might take a fair bit of time before you find someone who knows what they are doing.

So the lesson seems to be that they do have the power to credit the status credits manually with little intervention from anyone else (or from “another team”), however, it might take a fair bit of time before you find someone who knows what they are doing.
TBH this is even worse. If the agents couldn't do anything then I can understand why they can't help me, but if it really is that they can but don't want to for whatever reason...

I've given up on chasing my 16 SCs. I don't need it to reach any specific tier, although it would've been nice for the lifetime tally. Definitely not worth the amount of time I seem to need to put in to get it though.

booked on a QF award between SYD and LAX in Business
After pushing back, I was eventually rebooked onto Delta in Business.
How on earth does that happen? Especially for an award booking.
(Genuine question, in the event this happens to me in the future, how did you go about getting this offered to you?)

I had an absolutely horrible experience requesting ORC this year.

6/2, my domestic redemption PER-xMEL-xCBR-SYD for a week later had been rescheduled, forcing me to spend the night in MEL. I called QF and was offered PER-SYD direct. I asked if I would receive ORC and the agent said no so I declined to accept the change. She then referred my request to a supervisor who said he would "send a letter" to the Points Club team to confirm ORC would be possible and would be in touch with me by phone. I accepted the direct.

13/2, I confirmed over the phone that ORC would apply.

16/2, I received an email directly from the supervisor (who on 6/2 was going to "send a letter" to the Points Club team) confirming ORC and that "this has been noted on your FF account".

11/3, I called QF to get the ORC because, of course, they hadn't credited. The first (Australian) agent handballed to the FF team (presumably in MNL). She said she would need to speak to someone but would get back me "before the end of the day". I leave you all to decide whether or not that promised call back actually happened.

27/3, I reach the FF team in MNL. The agent explains to me that because it was a FF booking, "you don't earn status credits, only frequent flyer points". Hold. She then offered ORC for PER-MEL and MEL-CBR but not CBR-SYD because "that was a classic flight reward" (all flights were classic). I asked her how many she would credit: 48, which made no sense, but then added she'd be subtracting the 38 I had already been credited for PER-SYD as flown. I got angry and told her to leave it alone.

28/3, I phone QF again for ORC. The agent said she will email the supervisor who originally emailed me and ask that the SCs be credited. She added that agents used to have the ability to do it themselves, but that was taken away from them.

14/4, I try again. The agent puts me on hold to speak to the FF team in MNL. She returns to the call a few minutes later to say she thinks she's actually been disconnected and suggests I contact FF myself.

14/4, I try yet again. I go through the whole history. She speaks to the team in MNL but can't get them to understand what she's chasing. She commits to emailing the original supervisor who, it turns out, has been on extended sick leave. She would call me within a week with an update.

23/4, the agent I spoke with 28/3 said she's spoken with FF who said 'No problem' and the SCs would be in my account in 15 minutes. The problem: her call with FF was the day prior (a little more than 15 minutes ago). The SCs aren't in my account and she knew that would be the case. She's going to give it until 3pm today before trying again.

30/4, I receive a call from a "supervisor" in the MNL centre. He then proceeded to outline what he understood, which was of course wrong, requiring me to correct him and refrain from slamming my head into my desk. He reaches the point where he said I was owed 55 status credits. I reminded him that this was a double status credits booking. His response was to ask me how many more status credits on top of the 55 I was therefore expecting. No joke! Apparently “double” isn’t a universally understood term. He then proceeded to calculate the double status credits – sector by sector. Not 55 multiplied by 2 but each sector, one at a time, doubled. He then said he would go about crediting the status credits to my account and that he would be back in touch within the day to confirm that they were there. I asked him to confirm whether that was within 24 hours or before the end of today, to which he clearly said “today”. Before he ended the call he said, “Once again, my name is Josh-, I mean, Joseph”. Again, no joke.

It gets worse. As the afternoon progressed, my status credit balanced changed. First, 38 status credits were deducted. Then another 38 were deducted. It got to the point where I was in a worse position than when this saga began more than two months ago.

“Joseph” (or Josh or ...) did call back that day. He explained “we’re having some difficulty” crediting the status credits (although, apparently, no issue taking them out of my account). I then spent three minutes calmly explaining my belief in the astonishing level of incompetence of him and his colleagues, that I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever that the matter will be resolved. He said he understood and that “I’m definitely going to do what I can to get the 55 status credits added to your account”. At this point, I yelled at him, “IT’S NOT 55!” (it was 110, because of the double). I told him I couldn’t do it anymore and hung up on him.

2/5, I called to fix the deduction the day prior of the 76 SC I'd 'legitimately' earned from PER-SYD (38x2). I asked the agent to put them back in. He said he could see there had been a lot of adjustments but he couldn't do anything.

3/5, it's fixed. Although I'm credited with an additional 62 SCs over and above what I should have rightly earned.
This is horrifying.

I had an absolutely horrible experience requesting ORC this year.

6/2, my domestic redemption PER-xMEL-xCBR-SYD for a week later had been rescheduled, forcing me to spend the night in MEL. I called QF and was offered PER-SYD direct. I asked if I would receive ORC and the agent said no so I declined to accept the change. She then referred my request to a supervisor who said he would "send a letter" to the Points Club team to confirm ORC would be possible and would be in touch with me by phone. I accepted the direct.

13/2, I confirmed over the phone that ORC would apply.

16/2, I received an email directly from the supervisor (who on 6/2 was going to "send a letter" to the Points Club team) confirming ORC and that "this has been noted on your FF account".

11/3, I called QF to get the ORC because, of course, they hadn't credited. The first (Australian) agent handballed to the FF team (presumably in MNL). She said she would need to speak to someone but would get back me "before the end of the day". I leave you all to decide whether or not that promised call back actually happened.

27/3, I reach the FF team in MNL. The agent explains to me that because it was a FF booking, "you don't earn status credits, only frequent flyer points". Hold. She then offered ORC for PER-MEL and MEL-CBR but not CBR-SYD because "that was a classic flight reward" (all flights were classic). I asked her how many she would credit: 48, which made no sense, but then added she'd be subtracting the 38 I had already been credited for PER-SYD as flown. I got angry and told her to leave it alone.

28/3, I phone QF again for ORC. The agent said she will email the supervisor who originally emailed me and ask that the SCs be credited. She added that agents used to have the ability to do it themselves, but that was taken away from them.

14/4, I try again. The agent puts me on hold to speak to the FF team in MNL. She returns to the call a few minutes later to say she thinks she's actually been disconnected and suggests I contact FF myself.

14/4, I try yet again. I go through the whole history. She speaks to the team in MNL but can't get them to understand what she's chasing. She commits to emailing the original supervisor who, it turns out, has been on extended sick leave. She would call me within a week with an update.

23/4, the agent I spoke with 28/3 said she's spoken with FF who said 'No problem' and the SCs would be in my account in 15 minutes. The problem: her call with FF was the day prior (a little more than 15 minutes ago). The SCs aren't in my account and she knew that would be the case. She's going to give it until 3pm today before trying again.

30/4, I receive a call from a "supervisor" in the MNL centre. He then proceeded to outline what he understood, which was of course wrong, requiring me to correct him and refrain from slamming my head into my desk. He reaches the point where he said I was owed 55 status credits. I reminded him that this was a double status credits booking. His response was to ask me how many more status credits on top of the 55 I was therefore expecting. No joke! Apparently “double” isn’t a universally understood term. He then proceeded to calculate the double status credits – sector by sector. Not 55 multiplied by 2 but each sector, one at a time, doubled. He then said he would go about crediting the status credits to my account and that he would be back in touch within the day to confirm that they were there. I asked him to confirm whether that was within 24 hours or before the end of today, to which he clearly said “today”. Before he ended the call he said, “Once again, my name is Josh-, I mean, Joseph”. Again, no joke.

It gets worse. As the afternoon progressed, my status credit balanced changed. First, 38 status credits were deducted. Then another 38 were deducted. It got to the point where I was in a worse position than when this saga began more than two months ago.

“Joseph” (or Josh or ...) did call back that day. He explained “we’re having some difficulty” crediting the status credits (although, apparently, no issue taking them out of my account). I then spent three minutes calmly explaining my belief in the astonishing level of incompetence of him and his colleagues, that I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever that the matter will be resolved. He said he understood and that “I’m definitely going to do what I can to get the 55 status credits added to your account”. At this point, I yelled at him, “IT’S NOT 55!” (it was 110, because of the double). I told him I couldn’t do it anymore and hung up on him.

2/5, I called to fix the deduction the day prior of the 76 SC I'd 'legitimately' earned from PER-SYD (38x2). I asked the agent to put them back in. He said he could see there had been a lot of adjustments but he couldn't do anything.

3/5, it's fixed. Although I'm credited with an additional 62 SCs over and above what I should have rightly earned.
Reads like a good old Greek tragedy 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

How on earth does that happen? Especially for an award booking.
(Genuine question, in the event this happens to me in the future, how did you go about getting this offered to you?)

When I checked in, I was handed a Premium Economy boarding pass and was told “but we note you have an upgrade request in to Business.”

I mentioned that was not correct and pulled out a copy of my original e-ticket which had me in Business.

A manager/supervisor was called over and explained to me that as a First seat was out of service, that First passenger would be regraded to Business and that as I had a low PCV, I would be regraded to PE (which I personally found interesting, as I was Silver at the time and I would have expected there would have been at least one Bronze/non status pax).

I was also told along with the regrade, I would have a choice of compensation which was listed on a printed email that the supervisor showed me. The compensation was either USD 600 cash or a USD 850 travel voucher. There was no mention of any points being refunded.

I stated that neither option was acceptable and that I would like to be routed to LAX on Business via Honolulu (QF103) or Vancouver (QF73) (I knew that I would not have made either the BNE/MEL-LAX flights at that time of the morning and that the HNL/YVR flights were later that evening and also ex SYD. There was no DFW flight that day.

They then asked me what my final destination was and whether my plans were flexible. I mentioned that my plans were flexible as long as I get to LAX within a day or so and that I was not wedded to taking QF11.

The supervisor went away and spent a fair bit of time canvassing options. She came back and mentioned that she thought that Delta might have had one seat left in Business on the direct SYD-LAX and asked me whether that option would be acceptable.

I said that was fine with me, so she went over to the Delta to confirm availability.

While she was doing that (it took probably 20-25 minutes), I was checking my MMB on Qantas and noticed that it eventually showed me on DL. When I checked that on the DL website, I was able to select a seat.

The supervisor came back with a new printed e ticket and walked me over to the DL counter to check in. She mentioned one of the biggest issues with getting seats fixed at the moment was that the maintenance and engineering staff did not have the resources or time to get it done.

Throughout the encounter, the supervisor was incredibly helpful and communicated very well. I noticed a big shift in the approach once I mentioned I was flexible as they seemed genuinely willing to try and find an alternative that would work for me and I was grateful for that. I would suggest to anyone in a similar position, demonstrate similar flexibility and hopefully an option that works for you is offered.

Last edited:
I also expect this option is only available in the case of IRROPS on the day of the flight or maybe even the day before. I would not expect this option to be available if changes were made to an award booking in advance.

Hi

I was reading about these very unsatisfactory experiences with interest. And then this morning got a flight change that has some relevance. Grateful for any advice about the best way to approach it.

My wife and I will be flying AKL-BNE-CBR in early August, booked in J (with the Travel Pass DSC deal). This morning QF advised that the aircraft for the BNE-CBR leg has been changed from an E190 (QF1915) to an all-economy 717 (QF1729). I had no choice but to accept as it’s the last flight into CBR that night, direct or connecting.

So should I be on the phone or webchat with Qantas ASAP about securing ORC for the downgraded leg, or is this more 'easily' (relative term I know) and appropriately done after the trip? I guess depending on what economy fare class we're now in , that could be 60SCs at risk. And should we be entitled to some sort of financial compensation for the downgrade? Or is that just operational reasons tough luck?

And tell me if I’m just being too precious here. The E190 has the same or fewer J seats as the 717 has exit row seats. Qantas didn’t allocate us an exit row, even though all 10 are currently shown as free. Does it seem a bit stinky that they still want the extra $15 for exit row seats even though they’ve bumped two WPs from business?

Thanks very much,
Horatio

Hi

I was reading about these very unsatisfactory experiences with interest. And then this morning got a flight change that has some relevance. Grateful for any advice about the best way to approach it.

My wife and I will be flying AKL-BNE-CBR in early August, booked in J (with the Travel Pass DSC deal). This morning QF advised that the aircraft for the BNE-CBR leg has been changed from an E190 (QF1915) to an all-economy 717 (QF1729). I had no choice but to accept as it’s the last flight into CBR that night, direct or connecting.

So should I be on the phone or webchat with Qantas ASAP about securing ORC for the downgraded leg, or is this more 'easily' (relative term I know) and appropriately done after the trip? I guess depending on what economy fare class we're now in , that could be 60SCs at risk. And should we be entitled to some sort of financial compensation for the downgrade? Or is that just operational reasons tough luck?

And tell me if I’m just being too precious here. The E190 has the same or fewer J seats as the 717 has exit row seats. Qantas didn’t allocate us an exit row, even though all 10 are currently shown as free. Does it seem a bit stinky that they still want the extra $15 for exit row seats even though they’ve bumped two WPs from business?

Thanks very much,
Horatio

Sorry not to answer your question directly. However, you might have another option. Tell QF to book you via MEL instead of BNE and then up to CBR all in J (assuming you'd rather do that and be in J all the way).

No need for an apology at all, @Daver6. I appreciate the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't think it's a goer as we'll likely have quite a bit of travel that day before the flight. The extra couple of hours up my sleeve for the later flight to BNE will make sure we can get to AKL airport in time.

Cheers,
Horatio

I've put in 3 requests so far for ORC on a seperate award booking (Points Club, Qantas involuntary reroute) to no avail so far. Every time they tell me they need to escalate it (I assume the award booking is causing issues), and that they'll call me back. In typical Qantas fashion, they never call back. I've called 3 times and sent an email 2 months ago (no reply).
The ORC just came through for this. I haven't followed up for 2 months, but all of a sudden my 18 SCs just appeared in my account. I guess I'll take it?

Last edited:
The ORC just game through for this. I haven't followed up for 2 months, but all of a sudden my 16 SCs just appeared in my account. I guess I'll take it?
That's promising.

I haven't heard anything back about my ORC request for SYD-YVR (also DSC) from last week yet, maybe there'll be a miracle yet (I mean, the DSCs for the rest of the trip haven't posted yet either, so I'm not exactly expecting a quick turnaround).

No need for an apology at all, @Daver6. I appreciate the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't think it's a goer as we'll likely have quite a bit of travel that day before the flight. The extra couple of hours up my sleeve for the later flight to BNE will make sure we can get to AKL airport in time.

Cheers,
Horatio
How did you go with your claims? You would have needed to wait until after the flights to ask for ORC in J. Did you receive a refund for the downgrade from J to Y on the BNE-CBR leg?

Sponsored Post

Struggling to use your Frequent Flyer Points?

Frequent Flyer Concierge takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights.

Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, the Frequent Flyer Concierge team at Frequent Flyer Concierge will help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

That's promising.

I haven't heard anything back about my ORC request for SYD-YVR (also DSC) from last week yet, maybe there'll be a miracle yet (I mean, the DSCs for the rest of the trip haven't posted yet either, so I'm not exactly expecting a quick turnaround).
DSCs for the rest of the trip have posted, but I still haven't heard anything from my ORC request. I've sent a follow up email. I don't particularly want to call as I expect it's a bit of a lottery about whether or not I'll get someone who can actually complete the task.

I don't particularly want to call as I expect it's a bit of a lottery about whether or not I'll get someone who can actually complete the task.

The QFF team are pretty consistent - if it's been more than a week since your email they should process it.

It's the reservations team that's the lottery.

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back