Current good Visa or MC offers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drsmithy

Are there any good Visa or MC promos out there with big initial spend requirements ?

I have about $20k worth of solar PV to pay for in the next few weeks - was wondering if there's any new cards it's worth getting to put it on, or if I should just use the Jetstar MC.

Sadly they don't take AMEX.

Have a look at Citi Business as they seem to have a sign on plus a good Visa earn rate.

Or citi select with 80k bonus (converts at 3:2) and 1.33 earning equiv to VFF or Kris.
Or citi sig with 40k.
Or Qantas CU plat visa 30k sign on; 1 pt /$ earned qff
Or woolies mcard 16k bonus sign on

Hey guys,
I've never looked at Citi cards but just checked out their website and noted the earn rates of $1:1.5 points Domestically and $1 to 4 points for intl. purchases. That seems pretty damn good to me! Any catch?

What I couldn't find was the conversation rations on their website for airline transfers, in particular to to Velocity. Can anybody point me to the webpage that indicates such transfers?

Cheers,

Citi Business visa runs 1.25 points per dollar to QF capped at 250k points.
Citi Select Visa runs 1.33 points per dollar to SQ but the entry barriers are high with a high card fee of $700.
Their other points earn to Velocity and Cathay are not as attractive.

I currently have an "investment" with QFF (400k points and about 4200 lifetime SCs), but that's more an artifact of history than anything else (especially with the leprechaun slowly driving Qantas into the ground). I am loosely intending to use most/all of those points plus the ~250k CBA rewards points I have to "fund" a holiday for my mum sometime in the next couple of years - I rarely make any attempt to use them for upgrades because of the absurd take-a-gamble-you'll-be-upgraded policy.

I also have about 250k Avios points from my time living in the US and some awesome Chase 100k signup bonuses - but I don't think there's a card locally that can leverage Avios. We're currently on a travel cycle where we the "return" leg will land us back in Europe early next year, so I intend to use them up getting home again with Y+ (or maybe J) upgrades. Probably 20k stashed away in Velocity.

I have had a tendency to prefer Oneworld airlines when I travel so I can leverage the QFF status (or QP membership when that runs out) for lounge access, etc, but in any objective economic assessment just buying a meal and sitting in an airport bar or restaurant would probably deliver the same benefit rather than spending the annual QP fees (not that I've done that for probably ~8 years now, but I'm travelling less these days so expect to starting 2014 when the current WP finally runs back down to PS). Though the priority check-in and boarding is a VERY nice perk at the time...

In short I'm not really sure where I want to direct them long term, and open to suggestions. :) Most of my domestic travel would be BNE-SYD or BNE-ROK (say, 5-6 return trips a year in total), international travel (generally once a year, sometimes twice) is NZ, Europe and North America (as I have little interest in SE Asia, with the occasional exception of Japan for skiing). I've historically mostly viewed points as a waste of time (coloured largely by mostly only having them with Qantas and CBA , I suspect), I must admit - kind of nice to get as a (very small) bonus, but not really *useful* outside of being very lucky.

Annual card spend is probably on the order of $70k. Currently I put most of it on my CBA Plat AMEX, or CBA Plat MC if the vendor doesn't take AMEX. I also have a Jetstar MC (signed up to get the 30k bonus) - but I feel disinclined to use it much because the online interface is so awful - and a 28 Degrees MC used only when we're travelling.

The Citi Select looks to have a pretty good earn rate, but I'm a bit leery that I'll be able to get $700 value out of it every year. The other cards that had caught my eye were the higher-end Virgin ones (with their complimentary flights), as with Qantas slowly declining I'd consider moving my flying to Virgin (& partners) - only downside there is the Oneworld xONEx and xGLOBxx RTW fares (feeding back into Qantas or even BA) seem to be "best" in terms of payoff (SCs) and coverage.

smithy don't take this the wrong way but whenever you make up your mind as to which direction you want to head maybe then will be the opportune time to 're-ask' this question.

smithy don't take this the wrong way but whenever you make up your mind as to which direction you want to head maybe then will be the opportune time to 're-ask' this question.
I was mainly asking to see if there were any cards on offer with relatively high first spend requirements (eg: $10k in the first month), that might otherwise be difficult to meet without an upcoming large purchase.

ANZ currently have a 32K sign on bonus for Plat FF Amex / Visa combo - $250pa I think - ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum - Apply now for ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum | ANZ

I took it up - will spend $5 when I get home - then cancel in a month - they will refund most of fees.

This will be 3rd Plat Amex / Visa combo from ANZ I have taken up in last 16mths - each time with 32K sign on bonus to QF - does something like that suit you?

Is the citi select and citi signature the same earn rates per $?

I believe so but ask Citi. My card says Select for Kris and Mrscove's Qantas one says Signature. The print on these cards tends to wear off but don't be superstitious. Both cards are uncapped on points earn.

Is the citi select and citi signature the same earn rates per $?
If you choose Qantas, it's 1:1 for both cards.
If you choose citi rewards, it's:
- signature: 1.5 pts/$ local, and 4 pts international
- select: 2 pts local, 5 pts international
I'm pretty sure these convert at 3:2 to Kris, VFF and Asia miles. So 1.33 pts/$ on select for local spend.

Currently I put most of it on my CBA Plat AMEX, or CBA Plat MC if the vendor doesn't take AMEX.

The Citi Select looks to have a pretty good earn rate, but I'm a bit leery that I'll be able to get $700 value out of it every year. The other cards that had caught my eye were the higher-end Virgin ones (with their complimentary flights), as with Qantas slowly declining I'd consider moving my flying to Virgin (& partners)

Suggest if it is an option, your options to maximize earn for virgin would be:
-upgrade to CBA diamond Amex. Call them and get a free upgrade. This has a higher earn rate 1.5 pts/$ VFf than your plat card
- as you are looking at, go for a virgin flyer or high flyer
- look at a citi select or sig card.

But if you stay with Qantas, go with citibiz plus your cba Amex.

ANZ currently have a 32K sign on bonus for Plat FF Amex / Visa combo - $250pa I think - ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum - Apply now for ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum | ANZ

I took it up - will spend $5 when I get home - then cancel in a month - they will refund most of fees.

This will be 3rd Plat Amex / Visa combo from ANZ I have taken up in last 16mths - each time with 32K sign on bonus to QF - does something like that suit you?
Thanks, looks interesting.

You mentioned refunding fees - I assume you mean the annual fee ? Is it a general rule that closing a card account early will result in a (pro-rate, I assume) refunding of the annual fee, or is it just an ANZ thing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back