Credit Card with the best reward earn rate - non amex

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopes2017

Interested in peoples thoughts on the best non amex card ie visa or M/C with the best reward earn rate per $.

1. For airline frequent flyer points
2. General reward points

Don't think I have come across any with a greater than 1.25 point per dollar ....

Thanks Emirates does seem quite good, but the rewards program other than FF points is limited.

I think the other is Citi Business Gold at 1.25 points....

Is Citi business gold still available?
Virgin High Flyer is 1.25
There is a mastercard attached to Diners that gets 1.25 with 1:1 transfer to Velocity and variable transfer to other programs
Love to hear of any more

The HSBC Qantas Platinum card (Visa) earns 2 QFF points/$1 spent overseas (incl online shopping) if that's of any use to you. For purchases in Australia, the earn rate is $1=1pt. :)

The HSBC Qantas Platinum card (Visa) earns 2 QFF points/$1 spent overseas (incl online shopping) if that's of any use to you. For purchases in Australia, the earn rate is $1=1pt. :)

How much do they skim off in currency conversion fees ?

I've got the Virgin Platinum High Flyer Visa. 1 for 1 plus a bonus at the moment. Been happy with it so far

Just received notice from Citibank that my Citi Business Gold card (1.25 pts for $1 spend) is ending in Sept & a New Signature card will be issued. Although the annual fee will be kept the same, they now give me 2 options. 1) Get 1.5 pts per dollar spent (domestic) but can only redeem for Velocity & Krisfyler FF points. Or pay an additional $49/year to keep getting Qantas points but at 1 pt for $1 spent. Other benefits such as travel insurance remain the same. Does anyone know of another card (Visa or M/C) that gives more than 1 pt per dollar spent and can use for QFF?

Just received notice from Citibank that my Citi Business Gold card (1.25 pts for $1 spend) is ending in Sept & a New Signature card will be issued. Although the annual fee will be kept the same, they now give me 2 options. 1) Get 1.5 pts per dollar spent (domestic) but can only redeem for Velocity & Krisfyler FF points. Or pay an additional $49/year to keep getting Qantas points but at 1 pt for $1 spent. Other benefits such as travel insurance remain the same. Does anyone know of another card (Visa or M/C) that gives more than 1 pt per dollar spent and can use for QFF?

Nobody offers more than 1 QFF per dollar on a Visa/MC, which is why CitiBusiness was so popular...

Is Citi business gold still available?
Virgin High Flyer is 1.25
There is a mastercard attached to Diners that gets 1.25 with 1:1 transfer to Velocity and variable transfer to other programs
Love to hear of any more

CitiBusiness is no longer available and current holders who cannot provide an ABN are not able to keep it.

The Velocity rate for Diner's has changed and is now 1.5 DC points for one Velocity point meaning the MC now earns less than 1:1 *sad face*

Virgin High Flyer is about the only card I can think of that offers more than 1 point per dollar.... The Emirates one is higher but isn't a program that will be popular with a large number of users here

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have around 200K in QFF pts & 150K in Citibank pts. The Citi pts can be transfered to Qantas or Krisflyer if I wanted. Do you think the KF program is as good as Qantas? In other words, does the same amount of KF pts take you to Europe with the same amount of QFF pts?

Bankwest Qantas Platinum Mastercard seems to offer really good deal:
- $1 for 1 QFF (capped at 200k points per year)
- Great travel insurance
- Purchase extended warranty
- Purchase security
- No foreign transaction fees
- $140 p.a. on annual fees
- 55 days interest free on purchases

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have around 200K in QFF pts & 150K in Citibank pts. The Citi pts can be transfered to Qantas or Krisflyer if I wanted. Do you think the KF program is as good as Qantas? In other words, does the same amount of KF pts take you to Europe with the same amount of QFF pts?

Which citi card do you have! This will determine how many KF points you will get...

There are a number of threads that cover these kind of questions so suggest you have a look around rather than people rehashing here as it is a bit off topic.

KF has a clear table that will show you how many points are required for various locations. They work on areas rather than miles.

Interested in peoples thoughts on the best non amex card ie visa or M/C with the best reward earn rate per $.

1. For airline frequent flyer points
2. General reward points

Don't think I have come across any with a greater than 1.25 point per dollar ....

No offence, but this is pretty meaningless question without knowing what you want to use points for.

What matters is not the points gained in themselves, but rather what YOU can gain from the points depending on what YOU want to do.

The optimal "Earn/Burn" ratio will vary for each of us as we all have different desires and different card earning capacities (plus points earnt from other opportunities: hotels, flights, purchases etc.

For many the way to supercharge ones earn/burn is to have multiple cards and belong to multiple FF programs, including covering at least two Alliances.

For some it is better to just pool in one FF program if their ability to earn is low.

For myself and many, you gain points from a wide multitude of sources to build up ones totals in different programs. You then redeem in the optimal program for the flight you want.....or simply as you may have FF points to burn.

Last tip is to think beyond the point earn rate and look at bonus points. Unless one runs a business and has access to building points through it, the secret to earning a stash of points is often by maximising "bonus runs" when they present. Using ones's cards in certain ways tend to induce more offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back