Credit card with no overseas transaction fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaB

Hello all,

I am looking for a card to use overseas with no or low international transaction fees. Preferably with sign up bonuses as well and one that would accumulate points.

I was looking at the Bankwest World, but I had a big mix up in my application and they took me for a runaround and I would preferably avoid that one if I can.

I already have the ANZ Rewards Black, which will (if I understand it correctly), render me ineligible for a sign up bonus for the Travel Adventures card.

Other options I have been looking at is the Coles card (Flybuys) and 28Degrees (No points at all) but not sure any would fit my needs. But perhaps a low earning rate on FB points are better then no points at all... or do I take the hit of the international transaction fees when travelling even though it might be quite a bit? What are your thoughts? Anyone have any bright ideas or some that I can look into?

You won't find points and no FX fees.

You do with the Bankwest Qantas World (Sign up bonus + points per $) and I know the Coles one do, where you get FB points that can be transferred to Velocity.

I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of others as I think these two limits my options. I wont do the Bankwest since they messed up my previous application and ended up sending me the wrong card... :p

You are making life difficult for yourself staying away from the Bankwest Platinum Mastercard, especially if you qualify for a sign-up bonus to more than offset the $149 annual fee. I very much enjoyed getting a Qantas FF point a dollar during our trip to the USA last year, without any foreign exchange fees.

I remember having difficulty getting my card approved with them. I had to ring them up several times and ask what was happening - which apparently was very little on the part of the branch to whom they had sent the application to.
Regards,
Renato

Well, I got the card pre approved but in the mailbox came a different one. I ring up and point it out and then I have to transfer from the one they gave me that I did not want, to the BW MC World. But by doing that I was ineligible for the bonus points. When I point that out to the woman on the phone she said that I would not have been given them anyway as it was too late? I also didnt like the fact that she was quite rude as well. I was not the one that made the mistake, I pointed it out several times that I wanted the Qantas World MC and they still sent me a different one.
It was a big mess with that card from start to finish. I might go into a branch and talk to them instead, that might work better... if they still have the offer on will say.

We both have BW World CCs and these work well for overseas travel. The lesser card is the Platinum card which may be a bit easier to qualify for than World. Bankwest retail for credit cards can be harder in the application process than others.
Citibank debit is a good one but no points and is just using your own money.

After reading the ANZ travel adventures card thread, I would have though that you are eligible for the bonus points. (I was specifically looking for info on holding a QF Black though so may have not absorbed the correct info)

If you haven't already, I would have a read of that thread looking for the experience of others who also had the Rewards Black. There is a bit of discussion on eligibility criteria.

Edit; This post is only regarding OP's eligibility for signup bonus.

Last edited:
Does the ANZ Tvl Rewards card also have good forex fees?

After reading the ANZ travel adventures card thread, I would have though that you are eligible for the bonus points. (I was specifically looking for info on holding a QF Black though so may have not absorbed the correct info)

If you haven't already, I would have a read of that thread looking for the experience of others who also had the Rewards Black. There is a bit of discussion on eligibility criteria.

I just applied (and approved) for the Coles Platinum MC. $89/year, no FX fees on purchases and +1 as an additional card holder.
A perfect fit for me.

Well, I have been looking into the BW World again, I didnt have a problem qualifying for it the first time, I was pre approved but they sent me a Platinum More card instead? They messed the entire thing up, not me... in their system I cancelled the card, but I dont know if that would make me ineligible for a sign up bonus if I go there again?

I will have to read up a bit more on the ANZ travellers card instead. If I dont get the bonus, I do at least have a card that would give me a return flight and points which would be the same as the Coles one.

I will have to read up a bit more on the ANZ travellers card instead. If I dont get the bonus, I do at least have a card that would give me a return flight and points which would be the same as the Coles one.
To me the flight itself easily covers the annual fee, let alone the 0% FX, insurances and lounge passes included with the card. Especially if you're going from Perth to another capital city, I would assume easily covers the cost. 60k velocity points is a huge bonus though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back