Credit Card sign ups for extra points

Status
Not open for further replies.

apj01

There always seems to be plenty of credit cards that you can sign up for, to obtain extra sign on points. However, I have noticed that the offer usually does not apply to existing card holders and they cannot take advantage of these points.

So my question is - if you are say, an existing Amex card holder, and you're eyeing that 50k points sign on bonus that Amex is advertising, then what are your options?

Do you cancel your existing credit card and then wait, and then sign on to the new card? If so, how long do you wait? Does this wait time apply to all credit cards? Does this make you a 'new' customer?
Or is it a case of 'tough luck' and once you have your Amex, for example, then there is no option of reapplying for a new one to get the bonus points for the a new card? Or do companies like Amex behave differently in this example to the banks? Will a bank allow you close a card and then reapply for a new one to get the bonus points?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Andrew

If you are interested in CC signups you should head over to the CC threads and read up - all of your questions are answered. You will find it worth your while

Read the terms of each offer. They are all different.

Normally though for a particular card you will not be able to gain sign-on points by gaining the exact same card con-currently. Often, but not always you will be able to gain points on a different card from the same issuer if there is an open offer.

There always seems to be plenty of credit cards that you can sign up for, to obtain extra sign on points. However, I have noticed that the offer usually does not apply to existing card holders and they cannot take advantage of these points.

This isn't true.

So my question is - if you are say, an existing Amex card holder, and you're eyeing that 50k points sign on bonus that Amex is advertising, then what are your options?

Andrew

It all depends on what AMEX you currently hold. You can hold multiple AMEX cards as long as they are from different schemes.

Suggest you do some reading on the already established threads about AMEX cards as everyone of your questions has already been answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back