Credit Card in foreign currency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mushypeas

Hi guys,

I guess the topic says it all... I'm after a credit card but in a foreign currency (Canadian in particular but would take USD if it's the only one available).

Does anyone know of an option here please?

Thanks
Dave

I asked BofA about getting a US credit card (to make rental car bookings with!!:mrgreen:) but a US residence was required..

They would only offer a debit card which does not provide rental car coverage...

Now.. I have friends over there who would no doubt let me use their addresses... but I reckon that's way too risky given the reason I wanted the card!

Thanks guys, I was hoping for an easy solution - ideally while using my Australian income but it doesn't appear so...

:(

Amex has International Currency cards (eg $US)... but I looked on the Amex AU site and couldn't find them.

I agree that it is a lacking part of the Australian market. I'm in a similar boat - living in London so far I've been unable to get a credit card (due to not being able to prove where I live to people's satisfaction), so am stuck using a debit Maestro card and my Australian Credit Cards for some transactions. The forex charges are ridiculous.

Amex has International Currency cards (eg $US)... but I looked on the Amex AU site and couldn't find them.

I agree that it is a lacking part of the Australian market. I'm in a similar boat - living in London so far I've been unable to get a credit card (due to not being able to prove where I live to people's satisfaction), so am stuck using a debit Maestro card and my Australian Credit Cards for some transactions. The forex charges are ridiculous.

Do you have a Wizard MC you could use?

It seems the only way I'll be able to do it is open an account with a Canadian bank and then leave them with $x dollars in a term deposit which they use as security for the credit card....

Disappointing but from what I can see, the only alternative :(

Not an exact fit but the Sun Herald yesterday had some details on Comonwealth Bank pre-paid mastercard. Lets you hedge a bit on curreny transfers- but at a cost.

• Customers can load their preferred value – up to AUD$25,000 or foreign currency equivalent
  • Valid for up to three years and reloadable online via BPAY, over the phone, or in any Commonwealth Bank branch in Australia
  • PIN protected and signature enabled
  • Back-up card provided in case card is lost or stolen. The card is not linked to a personal bank account
  • Flat purchase fee of AUD$15.00
  • ATM withdrawal fee of AUD$3.50 or foreign currency equivalent
  • Users can keep track of their spending from anywhere in the world with support online, over the phone and via SMS alerts
  • Those purchasing the card do not have to be an existing Commonwealth Bank customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back