Credit Card for Uncapped Qantas FF Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

legseleven

Intern
My partner and I own a small business and are seeking a credit card that will allow us to obtain uncapped Qantas FF points.

We have a creditor that we pay around $3 million to per year, and have recently discovered there is no fee for using a credit card to pay that account.

At the moment, we direct deposit the money straight into their bank account so interest rates aren't a concern as we would pay the account then immediately pay off the credit card.

I'd love to hear any and all suggestions, thanks!

Woolies EDR card - but officially not supposed to be used for business expenses. Perhaps put some through this one, some through a BankWest Qantas Plat, and some through the Citi Signature with the $49 QFF fee under the fee free for life offer.

I am in a similar situation and use a combination of Woolies EDR and a NAB QANTAS Amex , works a treat especially if there is NO fee or surcharge attached. Welcome to the world of J & F flying :mrgreen:

BankWest Plat has a cap of 100000 pts/yr afaik.

200000 : The total Qantas Points (including any Bonus Points) that can be earned in Each Year are: 50,000 Qantas Points if your Card is a Bankwest Qantas Classic MasterCard; 66,667 Qantas Points if your Card is a Bankwest Qantas Gold MasterCard; and 200,000 Qantas Points if your Card is a Bankwest Qantas Platinum MasterCard

$3M a year. this is $60k a week or $250K a month. Reloading the card fast enough will be the challenge. I currently use Citi Signature and Citi Emirates ( capped )

Westpac Earth Black and/or Citibank Signature Card.

If you have the cash-on-hand you can always put your account in (extra) credit to get around any limits. I have done this in the past with Citibank when I had to put through a purchase which exceeded my credit limit.

FWIW I use the Earth Black Amex for 1.5 QFF points and the Citibank for anyone who doesn't take Amex as that earns 1 point for every dollar vs the Earth MC at 0.5.

Pretty sure neither are *meant* to be used for Business purchases but I haven't had an issue in several years. Don't have the spend that you do though!

Woolies EDR card - but officially not supposed to be used for business expenses. Perhaps put some through this one, some through a BankWest Qantas Plat, and some through the Citi Signature with the $49 QFF fee under the fee free for life offer.

The Woolworths card is excellent, given that they give 1 QFF point per $1, uncapped points, and their fee is only $89 a year.

However, if they believe that you're using it for business expenses, they'll cancel the card without explanation. The most common cause I've heard of is using it to make quarterly payments to the ATO. Also, their initial credit limit can be unrealistically low for some people.

The Woolworths card is excellent, given that they give 1 QFF point per $1, uncapped points, and their fee is only $89 a year.

However, if they believe that you're using it for business expenses, they'll cancel the card without explanation. The most common cause I've heard of is using it to make quarterly payments to the ATO. Also, their initial credit limit can be unrealistically low for some people.

I would not be venturing down that path given some here have had their cards cancelled, for the OP its a definite no given the $$$ IMHO

For my money, that type of spend will need multiple cards. Plus it can be good to give some cards a 'rest'.
So I'd be continually collecting them and if needing to pay a small fee, then so be it.
Macquarie, Citi, Woolies, various Amex (that issue full points) etc. Each time an offer comes out, blam take it.
And if they come with a pair of QF club passes, some people seem to sell them on flea-bay for about $100 a pair.

I doubt your supplier will take Amex without fees, and if they do, probably charging you way too much anyway.
For that amount of spend, you will need at least one Citi card as WWEDR wont handle more than $30K a month of which less than half can be ATO spend.
Definitely would not be putting all my eggs in one FF basket and have cards able to earn into at least two FF accounts. QF is good for domestic but not always when stuck with JQ metal.
I currently use Citi Visa Select (gives you 33% more SQ and VA points over the current Signature fee free for life offer), Altitude Black and Amex Edge for points pooling. Also have NAB QF platinum and WWEDR MC though these cards are presently not being used and have resorted to the Qstore to burn up QF points.

Also while your supplier may not presently charge fees.
If you try and put $3m through (costing them ~$30,000 in merchant fees) I suspect they might think about changing policy.

At 3 million spend per year I would get a business credit card. I would not risk the bank closing the credit card. I think most busniess dredit cards offer 1 point per $2 spend. So that is still 1.5 million points a year.

Citi currently pay NO points on ATO unless you are lucky. I don't do luck! Also do not put any Citi card more than $10,000 in credit so they can pay you zilch points under their updated rules.
Westpac Black Earth works but the earn rate on the MasterCard is 0.625 points per dollar so most use the Amex version to get lots of points for just under 1 cent each (subject to any tax deductibility to make it less).
Woolies EDRCC has reported limitations. You could get cancelled if you did several card reloads in a month purely to keep paying ATO. I reload my card in quite a few months but this card is mostly a personal expense card. Do put this card on auto pay as the fee/penalty for paying late is memorable. My $25,000 card limit means I don't consider it for real business expenses.
Amex direct cards do pay but at a lousy points earn rate versus the cost. Some cards are still paying one point per dollar but most are paying half that rate.
I hope this helps.

At 3 million spend per year I would get a business credit card. I would not risk the bank closing the credit card. I think most busniess dredit cards offer 1 point per $2 spend. So that is still 1.5 million points a year.

Or just spread over many cards - or with that spend, why not consider Centurion? Then the points can be warehoused with Amex MR too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back