Contactless payments on Singapore MRT/buses | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Contactless payments on Singapore MRT/buses

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Not sure if this has been discussed on AFF, but a tip for those travelling to Singapore, you can now use contactless MC/Visa cards, including on mobile phones using Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay, for travelling on MRT and buses. This has been available for mastercards since April, and this month for Visa cards.

To do this you need to register, and register the card you will be using, at the SimplyGo portal, or download the SimplyGo app and register there.

More info here:

With this and the Grab App for rideshare/taxis, that's all you need for travelling around Singapore without the need for cash or the previously used Ez-Link card.

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Good to know.
Shame about the need to register (not need in London or on Sydney trains, buses and ferries)

• Agree
Reactions: kpc

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Shame about the need to register (not need in London or on Sydney trains, buses and ferries)
I thought the same initially, having used contactless cards in London. But now that I've used it here, I like it - the main advantage of registering I'm finding vs London you immediately have a record of your spend (not just your CC transaction list/statement), and you see the fare straight away (notification on phone). If there are any errors (such as happened to me last week, it opened the gate, but didn't register that I'd exited therefore overcharged), there's a very easy process to correct it and claim back incorrect charge. I guess it also stops thieves using non-registered cards.

henrus

Currently in Singapore and have tried this out this morning.

Downloaded the app last night and setup a card at the hotel breakfast today (took about 2 minutes). Linked it to a Citibank card.

Less than 30 minutes later I was down at an MTR station and touched the card. The screen showed "Bank Card" instead of a dollar balance like you'd see when using a card.

Spongbob

AFF Supporter
Are you charged an international transaction fee each time you use a credit card on the MTR?

henrus

Are you charged an international transaction fee each time you use a credit card on the MTR?
I believe it's a 50c fee on foreign cards per processing.

They process the fares either every 7 days or $10 in trips (whichever is first).

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I believe it's a 50c fee on foreign cards per processing.

They process the fares either every 7 days or $10 in trips (whichever is first).
Thanks, I didn't realise this. According to FAQ, Visa gets charged daily, Mastercard every 5 days (or $15, whichever first). If using a foreign card, best to make it Mastercard then.

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Still from memory its S$7 for the smartcard plus min $5 topup, or the tourist passes, so it's good value for a short trip

henrus

Still from memory its S$7 for the smartcard plus min $5 topup, or the tourist passes, so it's good value for a short trip
Its also the convince of not having to top up / worry about a balance.

Not surprisingly it acts exactly like a normal smartcard regarding fares (eg bus to train discounts) - overall very impressive.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--473192669.jpeg

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pincic123