Comparing VA and KF point earn on Amex, ANZ, and Citi

Status
Not open for further replies.

robtemt

I've spent too long waiting for the dust to settle after the amex rewards points "enhancements" this year. I feel like we aren't earning as fast, but spending more.....

So today, I sat down and compared the four cards we currently have:
Amex Plat Charge
Amex Explorer
Citi Signature Visa Plat (no annual fee ever)
ANZ Travel Rewards Adventure Plat

I've made a spreadsheet to show my partner what we earn in rewards points, VA points, and KF points per $ spent, in various categories, so I don't have to get phone calls asking "what card should I use for X, Y, Z?".

I've uploaded the PDF of the spreadsheet, as it wouldn't let me upload the xlsx file.

Happy for anyone to tell me if I've messed up this assessment at all, and for any advice on what cards I should be looking at instead, in addition, etc.

Our spending:
- Normal stuff like online shopping, day to day (grocery, petrol, shops), travel (personal 2-3 times a year).
- We have Strata, water, council rates, levies on an investment property, and water, elec, council rates, etc on our home.

We use all of our travel credits for Amex, haven't used the free flights for ANZ yet (we get staff travel on QF), never made a claim on purchase protection, warranty, etc. yet.....

Thanks in advance for any insight to how to better maximise our point earning. We are down to about 500K points between VA and Amex, so need to boost those up if we want a second trip in 2020!

Attachments

• CC Point Earn Comparison - Sheet1.pdf
    51 KB · Views: 36
It is time to go St George Amplify and get the bonus sign up and the 0.825 net Kris Miles after birthday bonus of 10% on all the stuff that Amex misses. There are a couple of threads on this. Go the non Qantas and try to get all your adults in your family a separate card to maximize the sign up bonuses than can get you 200,000 Amplify points that halve to 100,000 Kris Miles

.... so I don't have to get phone calls asking "what card should I use for X, Y, Z?".

When Mrs 2905 was carrying an Amex Platinum Edge (I was the primary cardholder) and an Amex Explorer (she's the primary cardholder), I resorted to putting stickers on them showing which was best for what, in an attempt to minimise the number of 'phone calls and maximise the points. It was reasonably effective, but I've since closed the Platinum Edge (and removed the stickers from the Explorer).

I'm following along as I have been doing this too. My 18 month hiatus from Amex is up but I am yet to pull the trigger on anything as the deals seem very average. We use DH's Amex Explorer and Plat Edge. I was always going to go for the Plat charge but with the dilution on that I am reluctant.
We have the Citi Prestige ( i have had this card for over 20 years) and have the fee halved each year, but in 2020 that will be going. St G is our workhorse, apart from the Explorer. We also have the ANZ traveller and churn through the Black when a good deal comes through. I still check out the Velocity Plat occasionally but that is just for a points earn churn.
I do love the idea of stickers on each card for DH though...

Last edited:
When Mrs 2905 was carrying an Amex Platinum Edge (I was the primary cardholder) and an Amex Explorer (she's the primary cardholder), I resorted to putting stickers on them showing which was best for what, in an attempt to minimise the number of 'phone calls and maximise the points. It was reasonably effective, but I've since closed the Platinum Edge (and removed the stickers from the Explorer).
I did exactly the same.. Now down to the charge only

Rob, for the ANZ adventures card.. If your ultimate aim is KF, better to go via VFF when VFF has a transfer bonus. I would do that maths too :) last VFF bonus ANZ gave 50%

Reactions: Oxy
Rob, for the ANZ adventures card.. If your ultimate aim is KF, better to go via VFF when VFF has a transfer bonus. I would do that maths too :) last VFF bonus ANZ gave 50%

That is a great point, which I left out. I do try to do align my transfers with the VFF bonuses.

The other thing I didn't mention is my explorer is linked to my Ascent rewards, so those figures are based on that. I realise a lot of people still aren't aware of that loophole.

I had a similar mix of cards.
I cancelled my free Citi and got the amplify as per cove above.
Also cancelled the explorer, didn't the point as I have the platinum charge too

Amex Charge for everything
Otherwise amplify
If Forex transaction etc, ANZ adventures..I chose this card as it's free with my mortgage

The other thing I didn't mention is my explorer is linked to my Ascent rewards, so those figures are based on that. I realise a lot of people still aren't aware of that loophole.
With different primary cardholders that was never an option for us, but didn't the last Amex "enhancement" negate the benefit in doing so?

FWIW, the cards we have are very similar to yours; Citi Signature Visa (no fee deal), ANZ RTA Visa (x2) and Amex Explorer (aka "McAmex", due to the flogging that Mrs 2905's card seems to get at McDonalds :)) are our current "keepers", with Bankwest Qantas Plat MC and Virgin Money Flyer Visa my current "churners". My next churner will most likely be the ANZ FF Black Visa, with my exclusion period ending next month.

As popular as the St George Amplify Visa is for some as a keeper, the reality for us is that we simply don't have the spend level that would justify the annual fee for those extra fractions of a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back