Commonwealth Gold Rewards Card ,travel insurance and rewards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownyb

Hello Everyone. I just recently signed up for a Commonwealth Gold Rewards Card. I have just started to travel overseas (just back from first trip) and was hoping to use The travel insurance included in the gold card. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with.
Firstly the three months insurance does that mean I can travel multiple times up to a total of three months or one trip only of up to three months?
Secondly I have read elsewhere on the board that I can change my awards points to Qantas Frequent Flyer points but that if I do I cannot use them to help reach the $1000 figure for the insurance to kick in. Has anyone got any advice on the best way to manage my awards points?
Thank you.

Hello Everyone. I just recently signed up for a Commonwealth Gold Rewards Card. I have just started to travel overseas (just back from first trip) and was hoping to use The travel insurance included in the gold card. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with.
Firstly the three months insurance does that mean I can travel multiple times up to a total of three months or one trip only of up to three months?
Secondly I have read elsewhere on the board that I can change my awards points to Qantas Frequent Flyer points but that if I do I cannot use them to help reach the $1000 figure for the insurance to kick in. Has anyone got any advice on the best way to manage my awards points?
Thank you.

I have never used the insurance but I do transfer all my points to QF. They generally hit my QF account within 48 hours of the statement.

Thanks for the Advice. I ended up booking my flights on my old card. I couldn't wait for the new one to arrive my cheap flights were disappearing. Cheaper to pay for the insurance this time then pay the extra for the flight.

Hi Brownyb,

I use to have the Commbank Gold Awards card on Qantas Direct rewards. A $10 fee to change the program to Qantas Direct.

With the travel insurance, it is for trips up to 3 months. A trip would start say from your city of departure (in Australia) and return back to your city of departure and not be over 3 months in length. You can actually have multiple trips throughout the year.

The travel insurance on the Gold however is for international trips. They don't insurance for domestic trips sadly :(

Thanks akeno.
that answers my most pressing question. It works out as good value if its multiple trips. Now my biggest dilemma is whether to change the points into QFF points or leave them as award points. I'm a budget traveller but I don't particularly like flying budget airlines.

it was an easy decision for me to make to choose Qantas frequent flyer as the rewards choice. The $10 fee is quite a small fee to pay which i didn't mind.

if you collect Qantas points from woolies through everyday rewards and other Qantas partners then i would say choose Qantas points as all your points will all be in the same place. You will find that restaurants, hotels, Optus, ANZ life insurance etc all offer Qantas points. Makes sense to use one reward program and points are automatically transferred to Qantas program.

On the other hand if you want to earn Velocity points, then stay with the Commbank rewards.

Thanks for the advice akeno. I agree 100% with you and will be choosing QFF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back