Combining reward points from different programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlexedCookie

Hi all,
Rewards program noobie here and hoping to get my general strategy checked off. I understand financial advice can’t be given but I’m hoping any glaring errors I’m making can be highlighted.

I’m planning on going with two credit cards; an Amex that generates Ascent points with bonuses for supermarkets and fuel, and an Australian bank card for when Amex isn’t accepted. This will result in a points being generated in two separate rewards programs.

Is it an ok strategy to plan on combining the points from these two rewards programs when I want to redeem them for a flight? As an example, combining from Amex Member Rewards with ANZ Rewards to Velocity or Krisflyer. Is that wise? Or will I need to find an alternative strategy?

I appreciate any insight!

No problems with that strategy. Ideally, you'd want both cards to be able to credit to some of the same frequent flyer progams (e.g. KrisFlyer, Velocity and Asia Miles).

By the way, welcome to AFF!

Yes I think this is an excellent strategy, one that works well for me.

Amex is obviously the easy choice for the majority (or hopefully the majority) of your spend. As Matt said the trick is pairing the right Visa or Mastercard with it.

I’ve decided I’ll be happy with only Velocity (or KrisFlyer via Velocity transfer) points from my Mastercard and as such have picked the Coles Platinum Rewards card. For transfers to Asia Miles, Qantas or any other programs, for me, all these points have to be transferred from Amex Ascent.

The Coles card works well for me as the effective earn rate is 1pt/$, assuming you only transfer from Flybuys to Velocity when the have a 15% transfer bonus. The low annual fee (which they waived for me when I called) and no forex fees (which I use heaps) are the real deal sealers for this card for me.

Whichever combo you chose though your approach should work well for you!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back