Citibank Qantas Signature - 60,000 bonus w/ $0 Annual Fee - Good for High Spenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan613

Just saw this pop up on the Qantas site - Citibank link

60,000 bonus points
Fee Free for first year
$50 Opt-in
0% on balance transfers for 6 months

Kicker is that you need to spend $3k per month for 6 months to get the points:

To be eligible for the 60,000 bonus Qantas Points offer, you must apply for the Citi Qantas Signature Card before 30 August 2015 and for each month in which you spend a minimum of $3,000 on eligible purchases in the first six months from account approval, you will receive 10,000 Qantas Points (up to a maximum of 60,000 Qantas Points).

Re: Citibank Qantas Signature - 60,000 bonus w/ $0 Annual Fee - Good for High Spender

Saw this and was very interested...until I saw the kicker.

Would love to join but the $3,000 per month is a bridge too far for me, unfortunately.

Re: Citibank Qantas Signature - 60,000 bonus w/ $0 Annual Fee - Good for High Spender

So really it's join now and earn 10,000 points per month for the first 6 months if you spend $3000 per month. Rather than join now and earn 60,000 points. All for the price of $49.

Ok. I'm in. Application sent. $3000 a month shouldn't be a problem for me, I just need to focus my spending to this one card.

Last edited:

Bizarre series of events after I submitted my application online.

30 minutes after submitting I received a phone call asking me to confirm some details, including mothers maiden name and my former address (even though no former address details were requested during the application process).

Then the person said that they needed to have their supervisor speak to me. Supervisor asked to confirm that I had spoken to the original person and that they had asked me a series of questions. Then said based on the information I had provided they would be sending my application for final approval and I would hear from them in 3 to 5 days. Original person was heard giggling in the background.

Citibank...dodgybank?

The sign-on bonus looks good. I may have to look into this card. Doesn't seem to be as good as my AMEX, which credited 2 points per $1 when I was in the USA, including the tips that I put on the card. :)

May be an alternative though (currently using CitiBusiness).

Citibank...dodgybank?

24 hrs after submitting application I get an email saying all approved and cards arriving 5 to 7 days later. If this does happen it will be better than any experience I've ever had with any Australian bank.

As with all credit cards get this on auto pay so you don't miss clearing the account each month to zero.
I am not keen on ever calling Citibank call centre as they are highly rated for giving bum steers when you call them. It is improving I was told.

I have found Citi to be the easiest for approvals and credit limit increases.

We have two Prestige cards. Mine has a 100,000 credit limit and Mrscove has a $60,000 limit. Mrscove feels hard done by but she refuses to call them. Both of our cards are running smoothly and yes we know there are no points for ATO.
I will mention this Signature Qantas card to our senior staff as 6 months of $3,000 is easy to arrange in our business.

I have found Citi to be the easiest for approvals and credit limit increases.

I did a round of applications earlier this year (Citi, Westpac, BankWest and NAB) all on the same day and was accepted for all but Citi. I have them a call and they effectively said it was because of my poor credit rating (~520 at the time). This lead to me think that they probably weigh the credit score higher in their mix of criteria than others.

Applied August 14. Card received August 18. Can't fault Citi.

Many of the major banks that I've dealt with over the last 12 months could learn a thing or two about the timely processing of applications.

The one QFF point per dollar is the equal best Visa earn out there, yeah?

Applied August 14. Card received August 18. Can't fault Citi.

Many of the major banks that I've dealt with over the last 12 months could learn a thing or two about the timely processing of applications.
Hah, things must have chaged then, never thought Id see people be so positive about Citi's application process!

Lets hope you get the points though. Despite applying for a Citibank Qantas Signature card which offered 70k bonus Qantas points (previous offer) they for some reason did not enroll my wife in the Qantas program. 3 months later we quesrued why no Qantas points to be told this. They also said any points to date would be lost, i.e. transfer before you add your Qantas FF no. Now afetr waiting for points to get above 15K so we can transfer, she rings up to be told, oh no you cant do that its more than 3 months after you joined, so sorry, 70K points wont be posted. This was never mentioned in T&C's or in the mail.

So it appears that despite her signing under a Qantas link that promised 70K Qantas points it's somehow her fault that they failed to collect her QF number and set her up in the QF program. I've escalated (yet to hear back) and may have to escalate to FOS, lucky I have the PDF of the offer.

Moral of the story
a) make sure you PDF the offer
b) when you call make sure they do enroll you in the Citibank Qantas Rewards program not the standard Citibank program.

PS. Despite all this I do have the card (the Citibank Rewards one rather than the Qantas one) and its a very good card. Of course mine IS fee free though.

Moral of the story

Already done.

Moral of the story

b) when you call make sure they do enroll you in the Citibank Qantas Rewards program not the standard Citibank program.

Did this last night. No drama. Told me of the $49 charge.

Hah, things must have chaged then, never thought Id see people be so positive about Citi's application process!

Lets hope you get the points though. Despite applying for a Citibank Qantas Signature card which offered 70k bonus Qantas points (previous offer) they for some reason did not enroll my wife in the Qantas program. 3 months later we quesrued why no Qantas points to be told this. They also said any points to date would be lost, i.e. transfer before you add your Qantas FF no. Now afetr waiting for points to get above 15K so we can transfer, she rings up to be told, oh no you cant do that its more than 3 months after you joined, so sorry, 70K points wont be posted. This was never mentioned in T&C's or in the mail.

So it appears that despite her signing under a Qantas link that promised 70K Qantas points it's somehow her fault that they failed to collect her QF number and set her up in the QF program. I've escalated (yet to hear back) and may have to escalate to FOS, lucky I have the PDF of the offer.

Moral of the story

PS. Despite all this I do have the card (the Citibank Rewards one rather than the Qantas one) and its a very good card. Of course mine IS fee free though.

I had dramas over points with Citibank too. They started telling me in April that my points would post "next month" . (I made the minimum spend in March)Every month, I rang . Every month, same story. Last phone call I made, the guy on customer service actually shouted at me:( .I am STILL waiting for my 70k points to post. They have assured me they will post this month. Yeah right. I'm never having another Citibank card again.

I had dramas over points with Citibank too. They started telling me in April that my points would post "next month" . (I made the minimum spend in March)Every month, I rang . Every month, same story. Last phone call I made, the guy on customer service actually shouted at me:( .I am STILL waiting for my 70k points to post. They have assured me they will post this month. Yeah right. I'm never having another Citibank card again.
I'm actually quite happy with Citi now I have come to the realisation that their average CSR doesnt have much of a clue as to what is going on and doesnt have the authority to fix it even when they do. I try to put any request/complaint in writing rather than talk to a CSR and I get stroppy enough that it is escalated, this way I get someone who actually knows what they are doing and has the authority to fix it.

My suggestion is 1) escalate this to their internal disputes team and 2) tell the IDR person that if not resolved with x days you WILL be escalting to their External Disputes Resolution, which is the Financial Ombudsman Scheme (FOS). Citi gets charged even for referrals (i.e. yes, even if you are wrong) so Ive found even the mention of FOS gets action really quick.

I phoned up and was told that if you spend $3000 in one month, you will receive 10,000 points for that month. If you fail to meet the minimum spend for 3 out of the 6 months for example, you still receive 30,000 points for the months you did reach it. Has anyone else been told that's the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back