Citibank Qantas Rewards

Status
Not open for further replies.

daYZman

Hi,

I'm a Platinum card holder and have about 18k reward points at the moment. I'm hoping to transfer all of them to my QFF account, but I'm not registered for the Citibank Qantas Rewards. Can I call them up, get myself registered and then transfer the points over? The website seems to say that the points are automatically transferred at the end of each month, so how does my current balance get transferred?

Also, on the website Citibank Rewards Credit Card – Platinum | Credit Cards - Citibank Australia it doesn't mention the $49 annual fee for the program, so is it currently free to join?

Thanks!

You lose your current points if you change to the Citi Qantas program.

Note that from April the Citi Qantas earn rate halves.

I think that if you have not been charged the $49 Qantas fee you are not in the Qantas programme. That is a problem if you were not expecting to run up Kris Flyer or Asiana points.
Kris Flyer points have been really good for me and because you can hold those Citi points in your Citi account the 3 year life to expiry does not start ticking.

Also, on the website Citibank Rewards Credit Card – Platinum | Credit Cards - Citibank Australia it doesn't mention the $49 annual fee for the program, so is it currently free to join?

Thanks!
Go back to the Citi link, and look at the bottom where you will find the Terms and Conditions.
Of course you will need Reading Glasses Magnificiation 3+ to read it:shock: . Here is the Qantas T&C

3. The Citibank Qantas Rewards Program will be closed for new enrolments from 1 April 2012. From 1 April 2012, the earn rate will change to 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer point per $2 spent. Citibank Rewards and Citibank Qantas Rewards are two separate programs and the enrolment to Citibank Qantas Rewards program will be available until 31 March 2012. Unless you choose the Citibank Qantas Rewards Program, you will automatically be enrolled in the Citibank Rewards Program. The annual Citibank Qantas Rewards Program fee is $49. The Citibank Qantas Rewards Program is subject to the terms and conditions of that program. Once Qantas Frequent Flyer points have been credited to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account they cannot be reversed. You must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program in order to earn or redeem Qantas Frequent Flyer points. Membership and points of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program are subject to the terms and conditions of that program. A joining fee applies. Enrolment in the Citibank Qantas Rewards program can be requested on card activation or after approval of new card until 31 March 2012 by contacting Citibank on 1800 818 008. Current Citibank Credit Cardholders are not eligible to apply for this introductory offer.

Hi there, this is Citibank Australia with some information for daYZman and anyone who may have similar questions.

You can opt in for Citibank Qantas Rewards before 31 March 2012 by calling CitiPhone – 1800 818 008. With the Citibank Qantas Rewards Program you will earn 1 QFF point for every $1 spent until 31 March 2012. From 1 April 2012, if you have opted in for Citibank Qantas Rewards you will earn 1 QFF point for every $2 spent. The annual Citibank Qantas Rewards fee is $49.

If you opt in to Qantas Rewards, your current Citibank rewards points balance can be redeemed for a range of rewards including gift cards, merchandise or travel. NB. these points will not be converted into QFF when you opt in for Qantas Rewards. All subsequent spend on the card will earn QFF points which will be automatically transferred each month.

However, if you continue with the Citibank Rewards Program, you will continue to earn 1 reward point for every $1 spent. You can use these points to redeem flights with more than 175 airlines and thousands of hotels worldwide. You can also use a combination of points and credit card.

For more information, please feel free to check out our website citibank.com.au, call us 24/7 on 13 24 84 or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter: facebook.com/citibankaustralia and twitter.com/citibankaus

Thanks, Citibank Australia

Hi there, this is Citibank Australia with some information for daYZman and anyone who may have similar questions.

You can opt in for Citibank Qantas Rewards before 31 March 2012 by calling CitiPhone – 1800 818 008. With the Citibank Qantas Rewards Program you will earn 1 QFF point for every $1 spent until 31 March 2012. From 1 April 2012, if you have opted in for Citibank Qantas Rewards you will earn 1 QFF point for every $2 spent. The annual Citibank Qantas Rewards fee is $49.

If you opt in to Qantas Rewards, your current Citibank rewards points balance can be redeemed for a range of rewards including gift cards, merchandise or travel. NB. these points will not be converted into QFF when you opt in for Qantas Rewards. All subsequent spend on the card will earn QFF points which will be automatically transferred each month.

However, if you continue with the Citibank Rewards Program, you will continue to earn 1 reward point for every $1 spent. You can use these points to redeem flights with more than 175 airlines and thousands of hotels worldwide. You can also use a combination of points and credit card.

For more information, please feel free to check out our website citibank.com.au, call us 24/7 on 13 24 84 or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter: facebook.com/citibankaustralia and twitter.com/citibankaus

Thanks for the update.

Does this also apply to those of us who were recently enticed across to the Blue Citibank Rewards Card from the Platinum card?

I only ask as I have seen the gradual erosion of points earning ability as my Gold card @ 1:1 (Citibank Points:QF Points) became Platinum @ 1:1.5 became Platinum @ 1:1.25 became Rewards @ 1:1 and now potentially becomes Rewards @ 1:0.5.

This constant state of change makes me uncomfortable and might cause me and others to move our business to something as dull as a Woolworths rewards card for $89pa earning 1:1 uncapped.

Thanks for responding to my question above.

Dear Ms/Mr Citibank (or someone who has mastered the mental gymnastics that is Working Out the Ins & Outs of Citibank Rewards),

Can you please confirm that the April 1 [sic] change to Qantas Rewards will affect holders of ALL Citibank cards? As late as last week I'm receiving invitations for Select spruiking "1 Qantas Frequent Flyer point per dollar spent." Will rewards from Select cards also transfer to Qantas at 1:05?

Welcome to AFF!

...Can you please confirm that the April 1 [sic] change to Qantas Rewards will affect holders of ALL Citibank cards? As late as last week I'm receiving invitations for Select spruiking "1 Qantas Frequent Flyer point per dollar spent." Will rewards from Select cards also transfer to Qantas at 1:05?
OK, I am answering my own Q in case others are interested. Just called Citi and confirmed that Select will remain 1:1 for QFF. I guess this is the main benefit of paying the exhorbitant $700 (seeing I don't live within 21km of the airport to take advantage of the chauffeur).

In a very surprising turn of events for Citibank, the operator confirmed that if I "apply" for Select rather than "upgrade" my existing Platinum card I will get the 50,000 bonus points. This is apparently predicated on the fact that I have not had a credit limit increase on the Platinum in the last 6 mths. If anyone else meets these conditions & was assuming (like me) that Citi wouldn't award the bonus points to them as an existing customer - give them a call & try & your luck.
Damn, I wish I'd written down the consultant's name as I may well get a different answer next time...).

Damn, I wish I'd written down the consultant's name as I may well get a different answer next time...).
Forgive the quoting of my own post but, needless to say, this was a rather prescient comment. Of course anyone who's dealt with Citibank before would have said the same thing - no psychic ability required.

Anyhoo, after 2 separate Citibank staff confirmed the above, I was advised that I had to up my credit limit to the offer they had sent a couple of months ago that I disregarded. Apparently this higher limit would just be split between the cards how I wished. Right-oh. Fast forward to today & I get a call saying they cannot process my Select app because I have just applied for a credit increase on Platinum. WTF?!! Not only that, but "The Person" in Sydney who is apparently responsible for Select advised that there is no way I could have been eligible for the 50,000 points because I'm an existing customer. I guess this is not surprising but I WAS told otherwise on 2 occasions. Do I wish to go ahead & "upgrade" my PLat card to Select anyway? No thanks - please cancel my application. I was prepared to pay the fee for the 50,000 points but otherwise why would I bother?

Surprising happy ending: The Select guru rings back later & is sorry I was misled by other staff & can make an exception in this case. So they have agreed to cancel the Plat & issue Select AND honour the bonus points. Never thought I would say these words but, "Nice job Citibank and Thank You!." Oh and BTW, Yes - I do have it on email.

Xquisitely done!
there are not too many of us running on Select!

Received updated T&C's in the mail today, which says:-

"Effective immediately, Clause 13.5 is amended to: When points are redeemed for Qantas Frequent Flyer Points they will be redeemed at the rate of 1 Point for 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer Point".

The select card earns 2 (citi) points per $1 spent - who else interprets this as 2 QFFP per $1 ?

"Effective immediately, Clause 13.5 is amended to: When points are redeemed for Qantas Frequent Flyer Points they will be redeemed at the rate of 1 Point for 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer Point".

The select card earns 2 (citi) points per $1 spent - who else interprets this as 2 QFFP per $1 ?

As far as I was aware, if you are enrolled in the Qantas Rewards program, your point accumulation is 1 point per dollar.

As far as I was aware, if you are enrolled in the Qantas Rewards program, your point accumulation is 1 point per dollar.

It's always been 2 points per $1. On my statement is says earned xx_xx_ points and this is exactly double the number of QF points that came into my account. Also online in redemption history it shows a 2:1 ratio.

And if QF program has been 1:1 from citi points, then I'm owed millions of points....

My understanding was the same as oz_mark regarding the points earn. However, I haven't seen these updated Ts &Cs. My interpretation is the same as yours that it looks like 2 QFFP per $1. I find it hard to believe....but would certainly quash my earlier plan of burning the Select before the first anniversary in favour of another $1:1 QFF earner like the WW ER one.

It's always been 2 points per $1. On my statement is says earned xx_xx_ points and this is exactly double the number of QF points that came into my account. Also online in redemption history it shows a 2:1 ratio.

Maybe they have changed the way they are accumulating points. What does the table in section 13.1 show?

There are no 2 QFF points per one dollar spent on Australian dollar purchases.

Last edited:
This revision is sounding veerry interesting. I doubt that you're owed the points retrospectively , trippin_the_rift. My Select offer from a couple of months ago with the old Ts & Cs definitely says "1 QFF point per dollar spent;" which means the redemption from Citi Rewards to Q Rewards must have been 1:0.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back