Citibank Platinum Eirates and Visa Signature cards rewards points on ATO payment etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckyjohn888

Has anyone had the same experience as I have with Citibank. I have just returned from 3 months overseas and when I went through my credit card statements I noticed that there were no points awarded since approx Feb for payments such as to the ATO for BAS or Tax payments, State Payroll tax etc. Up until then for at least the last 2 years I have always been awarded points for these transactions. When I rang Citibank and asked why my points had not been credited they stated that points were not awarded for Govt charges. I have 2 cards on the same account with Citibank, 1 is an Emirates Platinum Mastercard and the other is a Visa Signature Rewards card. When I pointed out to them that they had indeed been awarded at least up to Feb and they asked for a example so I pointed to points awarded to the Visa card and they said oh well yes you get it on Visa but not the Mastercard. When I then pointed out they had also been awarded to my Mastercard right up to the first months of this year, they then went away and thought about that and came back and told me there had been a glitch in their system which they fixed on April 4 this year as I should not have been getting points.
I asked them why then the points had not been awarded up to April 4 but they had no explanation. I asked them had they sent me notification that there had been a change so that I was aware and could use my ANZ cards instead. ( I get rewards points for ATO payments on my ANZ Qantas frequent flyer Platinum Amex card as well as my ANZ Qantas Visa Platinum card which are together on 1 account) They stated they did not need to because it was in the terms and conditions. ( when I go into the online site promoting the Citibank Emirates Platinum card I cannot find any reference to Government payments being excluded and in the terms and conditions section it only excludes Balance transfer, cash advances and some special promotions) I am very upset that Citibank if they are allowed to make this change did not think it was reasonable to advise me given that they had been providing points for more than 2 years and I had a reasonable expectation that that was the norm.
I am out about 100,000 points and of course I have paid card fees in order to put these transactions on my Citi cards so I am also out of pocket some $500 on fees as well.
They offered me a compensation of 2,000 points which I said hardly cut the mustard and then said they would refund my last $229 annual fee but that falls well short of the 100,000 points I could have had if I had known and used my ANZ cards instead.
Has anyone else had the same or similar experience and have they received any better treatment than I have. ? What should I do now.?
Look forward to your answers.

Re: Citibank Platinum Eirates and Visa Signature cards rewards points on ATO payment

You are - unfortunately - out of date.

Please see the following threads here and here.

In short, they had an about-face sometime in March 2013 and caught some of us unaware.

No Citibank Card allows points for ATO payment anymore, sorry.

Re: Citibank Platinum Eirates and Visa Signature cards rewards points on ATO payment

So members can anyone summarise which cards are still paying points for ATO payments and which seem best??
Thanks.

So members can anyone summarise which cards are still paying points for ATO payments and which seem best??
Thanks.

You are invited to read this thread and reach your own conclusions as your needs may be very individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back