Citibank Debit Card is Great. | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Citibank Debit Card is Great.

Renato1

Established Member
Today I withdrew Yen from a 7/ Eleven at 76.347 Yen to our dollar. XE.com rate is currently 76.98 Yen to Aud. A 0.8 percent discount to current rate, and no ATM fee.

The Money Exchange machine at our hotel offers 68.97 Yen to Aud, a 10.4 percent discount to current rate.

Today I was talking to an Italian chap complaining about how much he'd been stung using his card at an ATM. I didn't have the heart to tell him about my card.

This Debit MasterCard is its own reward.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
I think the only place this card doesn’t work is in Japan once you leave the terminal at Narita. It works in places we go to but we don’t go to the back blocks of the world.

kpc

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
I agree partly....my Citibank card was declined in Japan recently as my account was inactivated as I had not used it in 3 months :( Also if the ATM charges a fee, you have to pay it. Compared to +1s Orange ING card which we ended up using to withdraw ¥¥, it also refunds the ATM fee as well as beeing Fx free. The only catch with the Ing card is you have to deposit $1000 the month before and use it 5x...I do this by using the supermarket self checkout and pay $1 x5. :)

oz_mark

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I agree partly....my Citibank card was declined in Japan recently as my account was inactivated as I had not used it in 3 months :( Also if the ATM charges a fee, you have to pay it. Compared to +1s Orange ING card which we ended up using to withdraw ¥¥, it also refunds the ATM fee as well as beeing Fx free. The only catch with the Ing card is you have to deposit $1000 the month before and use it 5x...I do this by using the supermarket self checkout and pay $1 x5. :)
$1? My transactions are measured in cents :cool:
However, I have both cards, in case something happens to one, I have the other.

lovetravellingoz

AFF Supporter
Yes I have been using CitiPlus for many years in many countries and it is excellent.

It used to be a VISA card rather than an MC and so countries like Togo where VISA was not used was an issue at that time for that reason. So if going somewhere exotic check if it is MC or VISA destination.

Renato1

Established Member
I always send them a message before I go, telling them where I am going. Their app won't work on either of my phones, one of which has the latest Android.

I'm pretty sure I've gone longer than three months without using it, and it has still worked fine.
Regards,
Renato

theblank

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Today I withdrew Yen from a 7/ Eleven at 76.347 Yen to our dollar. XE.com rate is currently 76.98 Yen to Aud. A 0.8 percent discount to current rate, and no ATM fee.
there is no discount to current rate Mastercard (and visa) set the rate daily at maybe 2pm( NY i guess) for the next days transaction,

That you perceived a discount is exchange rate movement since the rate was set,

lovetravellingoz

AFF Supporter
I always send them a message before I go, telling them where I am going. Their app won't work on either of my phones, one of which has the latest Android.

I'm pretty sure I've gone longer than three months without using it, and it has still worked fine.
Regards,
Renato
I make it a practice to always test my Card before each trip by taking out $20 from a local ATM. Apart from it being an "activity, it also guards against issues like the card chip having become faulty (Which has happened with various cards from time to time).

Renato1

Established Member
there is no discount to current rate Mastercard (and visa) set the rate daily at maybe 2pm( NY i guess) for the next days transaction,

That you perceived a discount is exchange rate movement since the rate was set,
Every financial institution has a lower rate for its customers than the market rate. That's how they turn a profit.

The example I have above was one of the closest I've seen to the XE.com rate. Every other transaction I've ever made - be it when travelling overseas or buying on the internet, with Visa or MasterCard, has been at a lower rate than the XE.com rate - as I expected.
Regards,
Renato

Renato1

Established Member
I make it a practice to always test my Card before each trip by taking out $20 from a local ATM. Apart from it being an "activity, it also guards against issues like the card chip having become faulty (Which has happened with various cards from time to time).
That's a good idea. I haven't had a faulty chip yet, but plenty of the old faulty magnetic strips have stuffed up my cards in the past.
Regards,
Renato

jb01

Intern
I think the only place this card doesn’t work is in Japan once you leave the terminal at Narita. It works in places we go to but we don’t go to the back blocks of the world.
You’ve had trouble using the Citibank card in Japan? I was planning to use it when heading there in July, but should I have a backup plan?

travelislife

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Huh? It is the same as any other international card in Japan. Only work in Japan Post and 7-Eleven ATMs. Of which there are plenty. But that’s the same for every foreign card and nothing to do with Citibank.

travelislife

Established Member
AFF Supporter
You’ve had trouble using the Citibank card in Japan? I was planning to use it when heading there in July, but should I have a backup plan?
No problems at all. It is treated the same as any other foreign bank card.

travelislife

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Every financial institution has a lower rate for its customers than the market rate. That's how they turn a profit.

The example I have above was one of the closest I've seen to the XE.com rate. Every other transaction I've ever made - be it when travelling overseas or buying on the internet, with Visa or MasterCard, has been at a lower rate than the XE.com rate - as I expected.
Regards,
Renato
That’s not correct Renato for this card. It is the direct MasterCard rate. But it is only set once a day. So it can appear different if there has been movement over the day. Citibank don’t add any margin.

Renato1

Established Member
That’s not correct Renato for this card. It is the direct MasterCard rate. But it is only set once a day. So it can appear different if there has been movement over the day. Citibank don’t add any margin.
MasterCard and Visa are profit making organizations who buy or borrow currencies to sell to people like me. They will always set the price they sell to me, lower than the price they bought it for - which will most likely be nearer the actual market rate.
Regards,
Renato

zig

Established Member
AFF Supporter
In Japan last October my card was declined due to 'inactivity'. I complained to Citibank about this as they had accepted deposits to the account prior to departure, and I hadn't been told the account was inactive. I couldn't see anything in the monthly statement emails that advised that the account was inactive.

Visited again last month and had no trouble withdrawing cash at an ATM in the hotel lobby (excellent rate and no fee). I had done a test withdrawal of $20 prior to leaving Australia, and will always make sure I do this prior to any future travels.

gty222

Intern
In Japan last October my card was declined due to 'inactivity'. I complained to Citibank about this as they had accepted deposits to the account prior to departure, and I hadn't been told the account was inactive. I couldn't see anything in the monthly statement emails that advised that the account was inactive.
It's not the account that is deactivated but the card. They deactivate the card after 6 months of inactivity. A simple balance check at an atm every 5 months or so will keep it active.

zig

Established Member
AFF Supporter
It's not the account that is deactivated but the card. They deactivate the card after 6 months of inactivity. A simple balance check at an atm every 5 months or so will keep it active.
Citibank told me it was after 3 months, not 6 which I think is too short a timeframe. However either way I think their communication of this fact should be improved. Thanks for the suggestion of doing a balance query, I didn’t know that qualified as activity. I will endeavour to do that.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lrr80