Chip & Pin? It can't be this hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyHancock

Well that was thirty minutes of my life I won't get back.

Five days ago I called up Amex and requested a new chip and pin Amex Plat Charge Card. It was a painless exercise, and very clear that this was becoming a common request from those traveling overseas, particularly Europe. I had chosen this week to make the request because I had a two week window of opportunity between overseas jaunts.

The shiny new card, complete with chip, arrived within five days. I was impressed.......but then it all started to fall apart.

I decided to pursue the activation process online and it was going well my card was activated quickly.........but there had been no opportunity to create a PIN. I called the activation number and went through the process with the automated system. My card was already activated apparently, and no opportunity was given to create a PIN. Not overly surprising since I had received that message online.

OK time to call the customer service number. (Which from experience is usually answered pretty quickly and the call centre does not appear to be in Manila.:)) Customer Service rep number one quickly identified that I needed to go through to card activation and lost no time putting me through to the process I had just been through. :(

After four minutes I was with customer service rep number two, he stayed on the line and took me to the activation line again and entered the information himself. The result, exactly the same as before, he found a touch confusing and placed me on hold. That popped me back into the system again and I got to speak to customer service rep number three. I had just got through explaining everything again when customer service rep two came back. :)

Apparently the new chip and pin card had been set up for permanent signature only and this could not be reversed. So I now had a new card with a new number with exactly the same capability as my previous card. :evil: What joy.

I politely requested the opportunity to speak to someone a little more senior, whilst thanking the rep for the help he had given. I have to say the reps were very professional and as helpful as they could be.

The team leader introduced himself and was already well briefed. He explained that it had been a mistake at the Amex end and they would get a new card to me in six days. (This included the weekend of course, so four working days) MMMMM I thought, so Amex cough up and then rectify the mistake in the same standard time they had originally delivered the card.....and I get to pay $900 a year for this service.

I expressed my surprise at the timescale, making it quite clear that my timescale was somewhat different. My expectation related to what hour the card would be delivered within four days, including the weekend. To be fair the team leader handled it all very well. He obviously could not commit until the peeps he need to speak to were in on Monday and was absolutely honest about this.

It seemed like a good opportunity to express my dissatisfaction with the changes to rounding down points, insurance downgrades and the complete worthlessness of Priority Pass in Australia. He took note of this and agreed to pursue this further with his superior.

If you do need to get an Amex card with a chip and PIN my advice is to make it very clear you want the ability to us the PIN. Once you have done this reiterate it....and then again!

This process has been a pain for me. Fortunately my old card will be honoured on direct debits for 30 days. In the meantime I now have to use my new card for hotel and flight bookings that I need to make on Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday I will have the third Amex card number in less than a week.

I expect better for $900 a year and have expressed that politely to Amex. :-| Sadly I think the Amex Plat Charge Card will be disappearing from my wallet shortly.

If you do need to get an Amex card with a chip and PIN my advice is to make it very clear you want the ability to us the PIN. Once you have done this reiterate it....and then again!

When you say make it clear you want to use a PIN, is this something you do when activating online or on the phone, or when you place the initial request with Amex for a new card? I'd like to get PIN functionality, but not if I'll end up wasting my time for no outcome!

That's funny. I recently got my Amex Ultimate card replaced due to suspicious activity (which I later found out that was my TripIt annual subscription fee, whoops), which came with a chip and the activation process automatically asked me to choose a pin.

New card arrived last month with chip & new pin function. Activated & pin selected on-line for mine & 2nd card no problem. This was not a requested card but a replacement for an expired card.

When you say make it clear you want to use a PIN, is this something you do when activating online or on the phone, or when you place the initial request with Amex for a new card? I'd like to get PIN functionality, but not if I'll end up wasting my time for no outcome!

When you place the initial request. I'm still coming to terms with Amex not automatically enabling the PIN functionality.

When you place the initial request. I'm still coming to terms with Amex not automatically enabling the PIN functionality.
Sounds like a fairly unique and particularly frustrating c*ckup on their end.... Have requested both my cards be reissued with chips and the activation process and choosing a PiN was simpler than most FIs in Aus.

If you want another great example, see my posts in the 'Citibank - never give up' thread.... That was the most ridiculous process for PIN change I've ever come across

Sounds like a fairly unique and particularly frustrating c*ckup on their end.... Have requested both my cards be reissued with chips and the activation process and choosing a PiN was simpler than most FIs in Aus.

Apparently the original CS rep specifically requested that the card should be signature only! :shock: I have to say the team leader handled things quite well, although we had slight differences on the definition of the word "urgent".

I have yet to experience a problem with Citibank.......and that worries me. I'm "due"!!

Apparently the original CS rep specifically requested that the card should be signature only! :shock: I have to say the team leader handled things quite well, although we had slight differences on the definition of the word "urgent".

What a stuff up. And it is crazy that they take 7 days to fix.

What surprises me the most is now stuffed the Amex process is with chip n pin. Its not new technology, and Amex have implemented it in other countries...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AustFreqFly

To close the loop on this Amex did come good in the end. It took a little encouragement, but my new card was couriered to me within three working days. The process of keeping me informed was pretty good too.

If someone applies for a new plat charge now, will it come with a chip or chipless?

Ok thanks. Actually I would have preferred no chip but I guess there is no choice if I applied for a new plat charge last week...

It is now standard to be issued with a Chip card...

Why don't you want a chip? If you prefer to sign you can continue to do so in Australia as our machines will force the person to insert the card if it is capable of reading a chip, however it will not force a PIN to be entered. Pressing ENTER should produce a docket for you to sign...

If you are traveling you will need to know your PIN as there can be circumstances that require you to enter a PIN.

Don't know call me old fashion, just like the original look of it without the chip, but not the end of the world if it has one :)

p.s. just received my package today, haven't opened it yet. Will do soon :)

Just checked and it is indeed a card with the chip. I already have a plat edge card with ascent and I have points in there now. On the MR T&C booklet it says other fees, transfer fee to transfer from Ascent to MR Ascent premium is $5 per 1000 points. I thought they will just link my ascent to ascent premium without any fees???

Just checked and it is indeed a card with the chip. I already have a plat edge card with ascent and I have points in there now. On the MR T&C booklet it says other fees, transfer fee to transfer from Ascent to MR Ascent premium is $5 per 1000 points. I thought they will just link my ascent to ascent premium without any fees???

As you're keeping both cards you should be able to have them linked to the new Ascent Premium account without any fees - just give them a call.

The T&Cs are designed to cover other circumstances where someone might be allowed to make a transfer between accounts - this allows Amex to charge a fee if they wish to.

As its a new card they may already both be linked to the new MR account, otherwise they can easily do it for you as the Reserve card is part of the benefits of the Platinum Charge...

Thanks. I will call them tomorrow. Also there was no enrolment form attached for the reserve CC in the package. Do I need to call for them to send out?

Also a bit disaapointed in the packaging. The card was stuck to an A4 page.... From memory I think previously they have sent it in a small box or some sort. Anyways no big deal :)

Thanks. I will call them tomorrow. Also there was no enrolment form attached for the reserve CC in the package. Do I need to call for them to send out?

Also a bit disaapointed in the packaging. The card was stuck to an A4 page.... From memory I think previously they have sent it in a small box or some sort. Anyways no big deal :)

Sorry, I misread your post last night. As the Edge is not a standard option you'll need to discuss option with me for transferring your points...

You'll find that not all forms will be given to you when you get your Platinum Card, however go to www.americanexpress.com.au/platinum and login. You'll find a list of all benefits,mincluding those you need to apply for.

The Reserve card is subject to credit assessment so they may make you jump through some hoops, however an alternative is to swap the edge for the reserve...

In terms of the box and packaging - don't expect anything fancy here. They are clearly cutting costs by reining in the features of the card so I can't imagine them having fancy packaging anytime soon!

Thanks. I will give them a call. I hope they don't charge me for the points transfer from ascent to ascent premium. Also I think I would like to keep the edge for the groceries and petrol earn as I spend quite a bit on these items.

Having the reserve will be a bonus I guess for the better flight coverage or the free hotel night.

Just called up and indeed I will need to fill in an application form for the reserve. Have requested it to be posted out to me. I just want it for the free flight or the free hotel night. Will probably carry the EDGE and Plat Charge in my wallet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back