Changing AMEX cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem

Intern
Hi All,

Has anyone recently tried to change from one AMEX card to another? I'm thinking of moving from a Velocity Platinum to an Explorer (or any MR-earning card) after I've received the sign-up bonus. Is this possible without having to cancel the existing card and apply for the other, thus paying another annual fee?

Thanks!

Generally, Amex don't let you switch products - have to apply again from scratch which isn't so attractive now that existing cardholders don't get points for new products.
18 months ago, I was able to switch from Velocity Platinum to Platinum Reserve without making a new application. They wouldn't let me switch to Explorer last year without a new application.
Worth giving them a call and they will tell you what's possible.

Hi All,

Has anyone recently tried to change from one AMEX card to another? I'm thinking of moving from a Velocity Platinum to an Explorer (or any MR-earning card) after I've received the sign-up bonus. Is this possible without having to cancel the existing card and apply for the other, thus paying another annual fee?

Thanks!

yes, did it a few months ago, changed Velocity Platinum to Platinum edge, just called up and changed it.
The exact date of the change triggered an annual fee.
They did give me 15000 points for changing, called it loyalty bonus.

On the day I called the lady said they just started a new system where they can change to another product. There are more details about this in the Platinum edge thread as i explained it better at the time it happened.

Thanks albyd and theblank.

I gave them a call before signing up for the Velocity Platinum but the staff member sounded too agreeable. He said yes to everything too quickly and without any details so I took it all with a grain of salt.. Will give them another call once the card arrives and I've met the minimum spend.

Good to hear they changed to a new system though. I'm hoping I don't have to pay another annual fee but a loyalty bonus would sweeten the deal.

Thanks for your help!

I called to to see if I could change my Velocity to Explore rand was told no that I would have to apply for the Explorer. I really don't see why they can't just change over as the credit limit would stay the same.

That's been one of my gripes with Amex. If you have the right credit limit, most banks will just swap products. Amex have to re credit test you even if you've been with them forever with an impeccable record. Waste of a credit file inquiry - especially now that you won't get sign up points. I used to see the credit check as the price for getting some more sign up points.

I called to to see if I could change my Velocity to Explore rand was told no that I would have to apply for the Explorer. I really don't see why they can't just change over as the credit limit would stay the same.
ring again and speak to someone else.

Definitely disappointing. Let us know if you have any luck with another call...

To those on Platinum Charge - has anyone been able to switch to Platinum Reserve from Explorer? Trying to avoid an unnecessary credit inquiry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back