Changes To Rewards - Spirit vs Ascent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harpoon

So i received a letter today for my corp amex card that on 1st April 2009, the only way i can transfer points from Amex rewards to QFF is to join their new Spirit program for $89 instead of $80. However the catch is that Spirit is exclusive to Qantas and 4 hotel partners. I would then be cut off from redeeming in to SQ, MH etc etc.

So firstly:
Grrrrrrrrrr. I like the choice available at the moment to where I move my points. I also like the fact that QF is one of those choices given they are works carrier of choice so I earn QFF points with them even without amex rewards.

Secondly:
Why? I assume this is Qantas's doing. Does it affect other card rewards programs besides Amex.

If they were ending their association with Amex, fine. but to split it into a separate rewards program with Amex? Doesn't make much sense to me? What's the reason behind it?

Thirdly:
Which way to go? I have to decide before 31st March.

I wouldn't mind going in to the Spirit program, but the options are then pretty limited. They include: QFF, Hilton HHonors, Starwood Preferred Guest, Priority Club Worldwide and Sirus.

The option to stay with Ascent is inviting also as all the old airlines are still part of that program.

Fourthly:
Why charge me $9 more a year for 95% less options on how I can redeem my points. What gives?

Am I over reacting here? Am I missing some big benefit I haven't read in the brochures they mailed to me?

with spirit you still have access to transfer points via spg to other airlines!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back