Changes to Frequent Flyer ANZ Rewards Terms & Conditions

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
I have an ANZ Black Qantas Frequent Flyer Visa card. I've just received notification from ANZ about points no longer being awarded for Government charges from 27 April. I guess this includes Council Rates and Australia Post. Amex give half the amount of points on these charges so I've been using my ANZ Visa card for these but if we'll no longer get any points from ANZ I'll put them on Amex to at least get some points. After 27 April I'll buy something at Australia Post for a small amount and confirm if we no longer get any points. Since it says "Government Charge(s)’ includes, but is not limited to, payment for goods, services, charges and/or levies made to a local, state, or federal government......" that would seem to be the case.

This is what ANZ have sent with my latest statement:

CLARIFICATION ON REWARD POINTS FOR GOVERNMENT CHARGES
You may have received points on Government Charges in
the past but going forward points will no longer be awarded
on Government Charges. Please refer to the amended ANZ
Frequent Flyer Rewards Terms and Conditions for the definition
of Government Charges and when transactions would be
considered a Government Charge.

CHANGES TO THE ANZ FREQUENT FLYER REWARDS TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The following changes will be made to the ANZ Frequent Flyer
Rewards Terms and Conditions booklet with an effective date
of 27 April 2022 and should be read in conjunction with the
current booklet, available to view at www.anz.com.

Amendment to Clause 23
Clause 23(a) will be deleted and replaced with a new clause
23(a) as set out below.
Points will not accrue in relation to interest charges, premiums
paid for ANZ Credit Card Insurance (ANZ Credit Card Insurance not
available for new customers from March 17th, 2018), Government
Charges, payments made to the Australian Taxation Office,
bank fees, card account adjustments resulting from disputed
transactions or otherwise, balance transfers, cash advance (as
defined in the ANZ Credit Cards Conditions of Use) or transactions
which are identified to ANZ by the relevant merchant or any
intermediary financial institution as falling into one of these
categories. ANZ is only able to determine whether a transaction
is eligible to earn Points by using information provided by the
merchant (including the type of business conducted by the
merchant) and the relevant intermediary financial institution (i.e.
the financial institution with which the merchant has entered
into an agreement, enabling the merchant to accept payment
for goods and services by credit card). Accordingly, certain
transactions made with certain merchants may be treated as
ineligible to earn Reward Points even if such transactions do not
fall within the categories as set out this clause.

Added definition
A new definition has been added
‘Government Charge(s)’ includes, but is not limited to, payment
for goods, services, charges and/or levies made to a local, state,
or federal government or statutory authorities or related agencies
(and includes Australian and overseas governments).

Being one who normally never reads statements - online transactions listings cover most purposes - I only just noticed this too. Fortunately, the vehicle rego I paid today should clear before these T&Cs come into effect next week. Will have to check to ensure they do in fact still land.

yeah there goes points on council rates, car rego and perhaps other things I cant think of right now. Amex don't exclude government charges but government don't take Amex! Not happy.

Do any other Visa/Mastercards earn points on government charges? I know a lot don't

yeah there goes points on council rates, car rego and perhaps other things I cant think of right now. Amex don't exclude government charges but government don't take Amex! Not happy.

Do any other Visa/Mastercards earn points on government charges? I know a lot don't
NAB & CBA still do.

Awaiting a new ANZ FF card to arrive, could someone please confirm if it covers all Government related bodies? Water Corp, Power (Synergy - WA) & Council Rates?
These are regular bills so be disappointing if these are excluded.

Awaiting a new ANZ FF card to arrive, could someone please confirm if it covers all Government related bodies? Water Corp, Power (Synergy - WA) & Council Rates?
Haven't made payments to these bodies after the 27th of April but a DoT payment on the 26th appears to have awarded correctly.

Council rates, car registration are definitely out . Utility companies may be considered as semi government which some cards also exclude. You will need to confirm the latter with ANZ,

It would be worth testing whether Auspost Billpay earns points. Probably not under these new rules...

Using Paypal as the payment method in Auspost Billpay would probably still work, but also worth testing.

This change prompted me to look closer at the T&C’s.

Has there always been a 36 month expiry on warehoused points? Perhaps it something I forgot about.

EDIT
Pointhacks says “Note that ANZ Rewards points do expire—points must be used to claim a reward three years after the end of the year in which the points were earned, or they will be cancelled”

I guess that means a point earned in January has almost a 4 year lifespan?

Last edited:
Used an ANZ Rewards card of mine online with Australia Post in the past week. Transaction has posted but there's just nothing in the points statement on the ANZ Rewards site (not even a '0', just like it doesn't exist). So it seems it's not just ANZ FF cards that are affected, but also ANZ Rewards cards too (the ones you can convert to VA/SQ/CX).

That sucks. Was about the only thing I had been using my ANZ Rewards card for in Australia, as it otherwise only gets used overseas for no international transaction fees (on the Travel Adventures flavour of card). Hadn't noticed anything on the statement to advise the change, but TBH I never look too closely and just pay the amount showing in the app, haha.

Used an ANZ Rewards card of mine online with Australia Post in the past week. Transaction has posted but there's just nothing in the points statement on the ANZ Rewards site (not even a '0', just like it doesn't exist). So it seems it's not just ANZ FF cards that are affected, but also ANZ Rewards cards too (the ones you can convert to VA/SQ/CX).

That sucks. Was about the only thing I had been using my ANZ Rewards card for in Australia, as it otherwise only gets used overseas for no international transaction fees (on the Travel Adventures flavour of card). Hadn't noticed anything on the statement to advise the change, but TBH I never look too closely and just pay the amount showing in the app, haha.

It‘s sad that a black card with a high annual fee is being so stingy! I would have kept this card forever but this now has me looking around.

Just a hypothetical folks (I only just got my ANZ black card back after my last churning waiting period) but what would stop us from paying these bills with a BNPL scheme like Zip and then paying it with the ANZ card? That's my plan, anyway.

Just a hypothetical folks (I only just got my ANZ black card back after my last churning waiting period) but what would stop us from paying these bills with a BNPL scheme like Zip and then paying it with the ANZ card? That's my plan, anyway.
Are payments to zip etc considered cash advances?

Are payments to zip etc considered cash advances?
Nope, just made a payment today. It shows up as Services > Financial Services for the exact amount I paid with no additional fees.

I'll be able to confirm points earned on the next statement unless anyone knows a way to confirm that prior, but posts on ozb from 2021 confirm points earn for ANZ on Zip payments.

That said, a lot can change in a year.

Nope, just made a payment today. It shows up as Services > Financial Services for the exact amount I paid with no additional fees.

I'll be able to confirm points earned on the next statement unless anyone knows a way to confirm that prior, but posts on ozb from 2021 confirm points earn for ANZ on Zip payments.

That said, a lot can change in a year.

If it’s a rewards cards (not Qantas) you should be able to check your rewards statement in a day or 2.

If it’s a rewards cards (not Qantas) you should be able to check your rewards statement in a day or 2.
Unfortunately this is the QFF Black but others might be able to try with a rewards card and see if it still earns on that.

Back