Status
Not open for further replies.

fantasy86dj

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
Hello everyone!

I am almost at the stage that I can upgrade from Gold to Platinum Awards but I am wondering what members of this website opinion's are. Do you think that it's worth upgrading? I spend about 3k a month on the Gold. The things that appeal to me are the points ratio are just a little bit better and I have never had concierge before.

I won't be getting this card for free.

Don't bother then! You'd be better with the Woolworths Qantas EDR card at $89 with 1point:$1 on Mastercard, or if you want travel insurance, the Virgin High Flyer credit card at $249 with 1.25points:$1 on Visa (depending how much you spend per year of course).

I won't be getting this card for free.
Don't bother then! You'd be better with the Woolworths Qantas EDR card at $89 with 1point:$1 on Mastercard, or if you want travel insurance, the Virgin High Flyer credit card at $249 with 1.25points:$1 on Visa (depending how much you spend per year of course).
I agree with pshepvic on this. These days the CBA cards are quite expensive for the rewards offered.

Hello everyone!

I am almost at the stage that I can upgrade from Gold to Platinum Awards but I am wondering what members of this website opinion's are. Do you think that it's worth upgrading? I spend about 3k a month on the Gold. The things that appeal to me are the points ratio are just a little bit better and I have never had concierge before.

It's definitely worth it.

Assume $300 MC/$2700 AMEX per month

Gold: 5700 points
Platinum: 8400 points

Adjusting for annual fees, the plat "costs" you 20600 points extra per year - or 1717 per month (calculated from difference in fee rebate)

So your net benefit is ~12,000 points each year
You will also get longer travel insurance, domestic travel insurance, extended warranties, concierge etc...

Just a little note - if you haven't already upgraded to Platinum Awards, it's currently possible to do it for free! :)

I achieved it this morning by:

1) Sending a message to CBA via NetBank asking that as they were currently running advertising to waive the annual fee for new customers, if that would also be applicable for a migration from Gold to Platinum (I also mentioned that I was planning on making a few international trips in the next 12 months, and would be more likely to use the CBA card for the bookings if they migrated me to match the points that I currently earn on my Westpac Earth Plat card)

2) Received a reply, along with a direct phone number to call, and a specific person's name to ask for

3) Was asked to "just speak and let me know what you need me to do" (their way of verifying that you have seen the advertising, and can explain your request, and how doing so may also benefit the bank, as it's not "officially" the advertised offer)... just mentioned everything from the bank message again, and at the end, their staff member said "wow, thank-you for that... it makes my job easier when the customer knows what they're talking about"... they then promptly migrated the card (will receive it within the next week apparently), and applied a fee waiver until 2013! :D :D

Very happy haha! :)

When upgrading from a Gold to Platinum rewards card am I just applying for the Platinum card or would I be better off talking to someone?

You're best to speak to someone, or the fee probably won't be waived :) It is a nice little promotion though - I barely use my CBA cards anymore, so once I receive the Plat one, it'll earn the same points as my other cards, and I'll use it all the time haha! :)

Just a little note - if you haven't already upgraded to Platinum Awards, it's currently possible to do it for free! :)

I achieved it this morning by:

1) Sending a message to CBA via NetBank asking that as they were currently running advertising to waive the annual fee for new customers, if that would also be applicable for a migration from Gold to Platinum (I also mentioned that I was planning on making a few international trips in the next 12 months, and would be more likely to use the CBA card for the bookings if they migrated me to match the points that I currently earn on my Westpac Earth Plat card)

2) Received a reply, along with a direct phone number to call, and a specific person's name to ask for

3) Was asked to "just speak and let me know what you need me to do" (their way of verifying that you have seen the advertising, and can explain your request, and how doing so may also benefit the bank, as it's not "officially" the advertised offer)... just mentioned everything from the bank message again, and at the end, their staff member said "wow, thank-you for that... it makes my job easier when the customer knows what they're talking about"... they then promptly migrated the card (will receive it within the next week apparently), and applied a fee waiver until 2013! :D :D

Very happy haha! :)

That sounds really good - something that I might have to try. I ended up getting the platinum card - I am so glad that I did. Everyone on here has so much advice about cards its unbelievable what people on this site know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back