Cathay Pacific – The New Business Class (CX100 SYD-HKG trip report, with Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk4

Established Member
Prologue
I hadn’t flown Cathay since I was a kid, back then Barry White set a suave in-flight tone, for what unfortunately materialised as the frenetic reality that was Kai Tak Airport.

Segue to today, and not only has the airline got a new, streamlined, twenty-first century hub airport, but their theme has had a generational shift to match… A gentle and yet sophisticated, instrumental version of Robbie Williams’ “Feel” (CX 2011 theme (poor quality*) & Robbie’s original) sets an evolved contemporary tone, endowing Cathay Pacific with both a sense of history and a modern chic style. * the Flash link in the next paragraph contains the original.

So after reading about CX’s new business class seat (a few months ago), and with an upcoming trip to Hong Kong on the cards, I decided to investigate what they had to offer: Their oneworld membership (I’m currently Platinum with Qantas, but this coming membership year I am deliberately “shedding my loyalty” down to Gold & looking for alternatives, after one too many QFF program “enhancements” endorsed by the new CEO & Chairman) together with the CX Flash presentation of their new seat, closed the sale.

After a little bit of investigation, I discovered that CX100 from Sydney was regularly operated by an A330 configured with this new product. So I checked the seat map for the day that I wanted to fly* just to confirm, but went elsewhere to book… *CX aircraft seat assignments can be viewed online, before you buy, via a “dummy booking” – an innovation bereft of Qantas.com!

Interface
Once booked, to interface with the reservation on the CX website, you need their proprietary 5 digit booking code, and as I hadn’t booked directly with them, I had to track it down.

CX website, manage my booking login, required information (non-member)

This wasn’t too difficult, since my overall trip was booked in the Amadeus GDS, so I simply visited Check my Trip where the CX code was clearly referenced.

Check My Trip, displaying the specific CX reservation code for my Amadeus booking

Once I had access to my booking on Cathay’s site, there was a wealth of options, interaction and information available.

CX website, booking management options

Deciding where I wanted to sit was a fairly simple task, thanks to the 1x2x1 seat layout in the new business class. And as I was taking the flight alone, it was a no-brainer – as in this configuration the window seat also doubled as an aisle seat, perfect for both access and a view!

CX website, seat selection

One other great website facet, that I would like to share with you, is the On Board >> Entertainment listings – which with one simple click, details all the AVOD available on your flight. It’s a great feature if you, like me, travel with your own videos and don’t want to double up!

CX website, booking interface – AVOD for my flight

Check-in
Finally, the excitement of the day arrived, my bags were packed and I was ready to go… Camera in hand, I approached the airport ready to start snapping up shots for my trip report & you!

Finding the Cathay Pacific check-in desk is easy, being located at counter A, so with a drop-off right at the terminal’s first door, I could see where I had to go. Approaching the roped off lanes, things did seem a little disorganised (with no rigidly straight lanes), and the signs directing passengers to the appropriate queues were also quiet small, but as only a few others were checking in this early for the flight, it wasn’t hard to figure out where to go.

010-checkin.jpg

CX check-in counters SYD T1

As I made my way around the corner, in the Business Class lane, there was only one person at the counter before me, and as he wasn’t travelling in Business or holding the appropriate oneworld card, he was politely told by the agent to go and join the Economy queue.

Check-in was fairly swift and pleasant affair, which ended not only with an Express Path card for immigration/security but also a lounge invitation. (CX knew that I was QFF Platinum, so the invitation was for the First Lounge. But I did think that it was odd to get an invitation, when I had my QFF card on me and thought that all I would need was my oneworld boarding pass. However, that’s not the case with CX in SYD, perhaps stemming from an unhappy relationship between QF & CX? So at SYD you do need an invite to access the Qantas operated oneworld lounges! Note: In HKG I never had an issue in reverse – QF boarding pass + oneworld card = CX lounge access…simple.)

020-dutyfreemaze.jpg

SYD T1 Duty Free Maze

After check-in I made my way to the Express Path entry to immigration, where I was delighted to find as few passengers waiting in line as at check-in, so I decided to avoid using the Express Path through security (and held onto my card for another day).

Luckily I know SYD T1 well enough (even with its recently expanded Duty Free concourse) to not get tempted to follow the walking path through the shop, and instead took a more direct route through the maze, dodging counters, toward the lounges.

Lounging

As my report is about travelling in Business, I decided to visit the Business Lounge (which had a bit of a make over last year).

100-jl-entry.jpg

SYD T1 Cathay Pacific Business Lounge Entry

In Sydney CX uses the Qantas lounges, rather than operating their own dedicated ones. So for those of you who are also considering downgrading to QFF Gold/AAdvantage Platinum (and increasing flying with alternatives airlines – employing a Gold+Gold lounge access strategy) or simply flying CX in Business without any oneworld status, here’s a look at some of what it had to offer.

120-winebar.jpg

Business Lounge – Island Dining

121-winebar2.jpg

Business Lounge – Wine Bar

123-winebar-coffee.jpg

Business Lounge – Coffee & Cake

113-selfserve-food3.jpg

Business Lounge – Self Serve Counter

110a-selfserve-bar2.jpg

Business Lounge – Self Serve Drinks

111-selfserve-food.jpg

Business Lounge – Self Serve Food

112-selfserve-food2.jpg

Business Lounge – Self Serve More Food

An Emerald Extra – SYD T1 Cathay Pacific First Class Lounge

Of course, I am still a WP, so decided to also visit the oneworld First Class Lounge operated by Sofitel/Qantas.

200-fl-entry.jpg

First Class Lounge Entry

There are already multiple reports on this lounge out there, and as I didn’t want to sit down to a proper meal in the restaurant (expecting something on board) I checked out what else was on offer.

220-fl-corridor.jpg

First Class Lounge Main Corridor

231-fl-kitchen.jpg

First Class Lounge Restaurant - Kitchen

I often walk up to this counter to order snacks or drinks, which are delivered to my lounge seat, rather than wait for a waiter to pop by.

231-fl-bar.jpg

First Class Lounge Restaurant - Bar

230-fl-barista.jpg

First Class Lounge Restaurant - Barista

Feeling a bit peckish, here’s a look at what is laid out for your selection.

222-fl-selfserve-food.jpg

First Class Lounge Self Serve - Counter

226-fl-selfserve-beer.jpg

First Class Lounge Self Serve - Beers

225-fl-selfserve-softdrinks.jpg

First Class Lounge Self Serve - Soft Drinks

223-fl-selfserve-nibbles.jpg

First Class Lounge Self Serve - Nibbles

224-fl-selfserve-snacks.jpg

First Class Lounge Self Serve - Snacks

Last edited:
Now Boarding

Soon enough the time came to board, so after a quick visit to the airside chemist to buy some toothpaste sized 50mls, I made my way to the gate. (I really have been in these lounges enough that the thrill of visiting has is waning, except on the odd occasion that I am “guesting” a travelling companion in, when I get to vicariously experience it all over again)

300-boarding.jpg

SYD T1 – Priority Boarding Police

I have to say that CX handles priority boarding extremely well. As you can see, even once boarding starts the Business Priority Lane (on the right) is kept clear for eligible passengers, who can use at any stage during the boarding process (similarly to how it done on American.) And two agents were present policing the queue, replete with hand-held visual signs, for those who can’t hear/understand the announcements- so the time spent queuing before BP scanning is very minimal.

301-aerobridge.jpg

SYD T1 – Aerobridge – goodbye Qantas hello Cathay

The Seat

So, with cabin baggage in one hand, and camera in the other, I excitedly turned the corner for my first glimpse of where I was going to spend the next 9.5hrs.

001-at-first-sight.jpg

The All New Business Class – First View 1x2x1

As mentioned before, I had already selected a single window seat, but here’s a look at how the middle seats are oriented, especially useful if you are travelling with a companion.

100-middle-row-fromthefront.jpg

New Business – Centre Seats

The seats can actually move forward, while remaining upright, so when you want to talk with the person in the other seat, you don’t need to look around the divide. (This forward motion is also great for just reducing the distance between you and the ottoman, if you just want to put your feet up, without reclining!)

102-middle-row-frombehind.jpg

New Business – Centre Seats

300-acrossthecabin-frombehind.jpg

New Business – Centre & Other Side Seats

Now over to the side, for a look at my combined window & aisle seat.

200-window-fromthefront.jpg

New Business – Window Seat

There is an enormous amount of personal space on offer, with a fantastic degree of privacy, and it makes a very efficient noise barrier. In fact, I would recommend these seats over QF’s 747 First Class seats for this reason.

200-window-frombehind-closeup.jpg

The moulded arm rest was at a perfect level for resting while seated, and the aisle side arm rest was able to be sunk into the seat for more lateral room if you needed it (or to slide out while the tray table was deployed).

220-window-fromseated.jpg

Overall I found the seat very comfortable, and obviously would recommend it against QF’s 747 First seat, although I would have liked the head rest to be able to extend slightly higher.

The Seat Close Up

Here’s a closer look at some of the features, nooks and crannies of the seat.

520-closeup-shoestorage.jpg

Business Seat Up Close – Shoe Storage

530-closeup-tabletops.jpg

Business Seat Up Close – Table Tops

The window seat has a massive amount of horizontal top space. This is great if you prefer to spread things out, and not have to open up the tray table. (I like to cross my legs while sitting, and tray tables often prohibit me from doing this. Likewise I find side tables, like the small drinks one deployable on QF 747 First, poorly designed for this reason.)

511-closeup-storagecutout2.jpg

Business Seat Up Close – Side Storage / Knee Cut Out

For those who like to sleep on their sides the seat has a cut out, in which to bend your knees while on your side, or alternatively use it as an additional storage space.

I want to note that I did have an issue with the about of elbow room, when in bed mode, as the contoured arm rest did not have a cut out space beneath it, I felt a bit restricted on that side when I tired out lying in the flat bed position. However, as the whole seat area, and aisle side arm rest are padded, I did find this seat better than the narrower QF 747 First Class seat, where the padding (and sheep woollen underlay) don’t extend over the arm rests, leaving you elbows resting on hard surfaces when horizontal.

500-closeup-airbag.jpg

Business Seat Up Close – Seat Belt Air Bag

Thanks to the airbag deployed on the seat belt, tightening or loosening the length of strap is done on the other side, at the base of the seat, rather than the buckle, which I found quite fiddly.

540b-closeup-control2.jpg

Business Seat Up Close – Seat Controls

Simple and intuitive, they can sometimes be a little bit unresponsive. But after a little bit of jiggling they finally move the seat in the direction that you want it to go.

540-closeup-video-control.jpg

Business Seat Up Close – Small Screen on Video Control displaying Flight Info

Located on the side at eye level (when stowed) this screen in meant to provide real time flight information, including the always useful time ‘till arrival. Unfortunately, on my seat, it wasn’t functioning correctly and kept displaying the same incorrect time.

541-closeup-interface.jpg

Business Seat Up Close – Interface

I found two disappointments with the electronic interfaces –
  • the USB interface is for powering electronics only, NOT for reading AV files (that you might have) and playing them through the seat’s AV systems (e.g. MP3, DivX, WMA files)
  • there are two video/sound connectors to play AV streams directly form your personal equipment through the seats systems. One is analogue (yellow, red & white plugs) and the other a proprietary Apple connection, it is unfortunate that CX didn’t choose the industry standard HDMI (which can be used with many different brands and products compatible with a High Definition output).

The other issue I have with CX connections, is that they ban all Bluetooth operations, which is rather disappointing as Qantas Group has allowed them on all Jet services for over a year now, and I really don’t like a tangle of wires around me (and have got use to flying wirelessly these days).

552-closeup-headphones3.jpg

Business Seat Up Close – Head Set

300-airshow.jpg

Business Seat Up Close – Video Screen

The video screen was a reasonable size, but not touch screen, so there were no grubby marks or scratches on its surface.

On Board

Before take off, pre-poured drinks were offered from a tray. Unfortunately the FA didn’t know what brand of champagne was in the glass, but she did run off to find out, anyway I ended up choosing the juice.

001-PDB.jpg

Pre-Departure Drinks

600-intherack.jpg

Business Seat Up Close – In Seat Literature

This is what I found in the seat pocket. Interestingly the in-flight magazine, shopping guide & air-sick bag were all in a sealed plastic bag.

601-intherackopentheplaticbag.jpg

Business Seat Up Close – Wrapped in Plastic for a Hygienic Seal

200-out-thewindow.jpg

Business Seat Up Close – View Out My Windows

As the seat is oriented on an slight angle (“reverse herringbone”), instead of facing directly forward you have three windows to look directly out.

Once we hit cruise altitude arrivals cards & in-flight amenities kits were handed out.

Next up I will detail the specifics of the service onboard. Overall I was impressed by its consistent, pleasant & very polite tones. And for 9.5 hours there was a smile from beginning to end.

I should also note that the call button was always promptly attended to, even when I saw someone press it during a trolley service (another FA popped out of the galley almost instantaneously, so the FA behind the trolley didn’t have to back track).

Also worth a mention is the complete lack of heavy footed stomping down the aisle, all the FAs were extremely light footed, throughout the flight.

Service

I had read a few reviews about the F&B service on Cathay that weren’t too complimentary, but let me tell you, if my flight was anything to go by, they were wrong. I found the Cathay Pacific Food & Drinks offer, as well as the service to be just fine.

101-hottowels2.jpg

Hot Towels

CX is rather fastidious about handing out hot towels, and this performance occurs before and after every meal during the flight.

201-menu-handout2.jpg

What’s on the Menu

The separate wine and food menus were handed out, and the FA welcomes me by name (even if she had to carry to manifest with her for prompting).

100a-themenus.jpg

The Menus

I won’t retype out what was on offer, but uploaded the following two pictures with lower optimisation, so hopefully you can read some of it.

100-wine-menu.jpg

Wine List

110-meal-menu.jpg

Meals Menu

300-drinksround.jpg

A Drink before your Meal

I decided to test the FA on her schmoozing skills and knowledge of the menu, so enquired as to what CX’s signature coughtails were. (They were rather obviously listed in the wine guide, so I already knew the answer.) Unfortunately, she didn’t have a clue, but quickly made up her own recommendation for me, consisting of Champagne and Cointreau, which she excitedly recommended. (Not quite the Cloud 9 that I was thinking about.) But I decided to take her up on her recommendation (which meant a rather lengthy wait, as it wasn’t delivered from the gallery until after the drinks run was completed). Unfortunately, I found the champagne onboard was oddly not a good mix with an orange liqueur, so I didn’t finish the drink.

303-drinksnibbles-mine.jpg

Drinks & Nibbles as served

First Meal

402-entree2.jpg

Here Comes The Entrée (Appertizer)

I suddenly recalled, once the bread basket options were presented, that a friend of mine had previously told me about the garlic bread that CX offer, so I went with that option.

404-entreeservedwithbread.jpg

The Entrée as Plated with my choice of Garlic Bead

501-maincourseoptions2.jpg

Main Meal – What’s Your Choices

I really like the way that the main course options are presented. You are able to see each plate displayed on top of the cart, and select the one that appeals to you by sight (not just by what it written in the menu). (The FA also took the time to offer some personal information about the spiciness of some of the dishes.)

601-fruitcheese2.jpg

Here Comes the Next Course

Now the menu mentioned that after the main meal I should expect fruit, cheese, tart. (It didn’t specify an “OR” within the list, although I had assumed it, based on my experience with Qantas, so I was very pleasantly surprised that it meant “AND”… and so all three of the next stages of the menu were delivered to me.)

Potion Control seems to be a mantra at Qantas, which is not present on Cathay. So if you like to eat well, I would recommend CX.

641-fruitcheeseserved.jpg

Cheese & Fruit as Plated

634-fruitcheesedrinktrolley.jpg

More to Drink

Although additional drinks were often available from the bottom of the service cart, the FAs weren’t focussed enough at keeping my glass topped up between trolley runs. U*nfortunately I often went for long periods with an empty water glass!

652-coffeecakes3.jpg

Hot Drinks & Desert on Approach

654-coffeecakespersonalservice.jpg

Kneel Down to Serve

There are two service standards, which are quite apparent on Cathay, when it comes to customer interactions, they are –
  • kneel down, and look up at the customer when getting into a longer conversation with a passenger during the service (this isn’t new to me, as Qantas sometimes does the same thing).
  • palms up all the time when suggesting items from the trolley. (Which includes the typically Asian two handed, passing of everything that a passenger receives from the FA. And the final palm down pointing to the delivered meal on your tray table, whilst advising you to “enjoy”. All very quaint.)

657-coffeecakesserved2.jpg

(Half a) Tart with Hot Chocolate

I decided on a hot chocolate with my tart, and as this wan’t a drink on the cart, I again had to wait until well after the trolley service was over until it was delivered to me (tasting suspisciously contaminated with coffee).

More Service

Now, if you, like me, enjoy a nice Scotch, well Cathay Pacific can deliver. While the best option on Qantas might be a glass of Chivas, Cathay had JW Gold on the menu…yum, very smooth. (In First Class Cathay even offers JW Blue, again a leap ahead of QF’s best effort with Chivas 18yo.)

If you take your scotch seriously, so too does Cathay Pacific! (Please ignore the coke can. LOL)

500-outofserviceJWgold.jpg

JW Gold & Coke

As the flight progressed toward the 21:30 arrival time into HKG, the daylight started to disappear and many people took the opportunity to have a rest, so the lights were turned down.

100-juices.jpg

Wake Up Juice

About 2.5 hours before arrival, the FAs started up a new service through the cabin. Commencing with a juice tray run.

200-trolley.jpg

Meal Number 2 On Its Way

Then the lights came up and meal number two made its way down the aisle.

400mainoptions.jpg

Make Your Choice

When demonstrating the selection on offer, the FA quickly, smoothly & briefly tilted the pot’s lid, so you could see what was inside. And on this service they also tried to engage with me a little more, about what I might like to try.

500mychoice.jpg

My Choice - Chicken & Noodles

Once I, and the person on the other side of the aisle were served, I noticed another trolley making its way towards me. Interestingly it had the same main meal options on it, but was stopping at others seated further forward from me, whom the original trolley had bypassed (in its haste to make its way to myself and the person sitting opposite). Not quite sure what that was all about, but I didn’t get a second meal out of it! LOL

600othersserved.jpg

Other Passengers Now Served

Three different types of ice-cream were on offer, and again the FA (in this case the cabin manager) tried to engage me in discussing the flavours available, particularly pointing out the burnt fig flavour, however I decided on the passionfruit.

700icecream.jpg

Ice Cream – 3 Types

The Arrival

As we were coming into land, the video screen provided passengers with useful information about connecting services from HKG.

301-arrivalsconnections.jpg

Video Screen – Connecting Flight Information

Oh, and just a note about the seat belt sign on CX, it is turned on earlier than one might expect on QF, more inline with the way DJ does things – as the FAs keep moving about the cabin preparing for landing while it is illuminated.

After an easy landing & passing through the long passport queue, I was landside on the ground, and wandered off to take a gander at the arrivals lounge. This service is provided to CX First Class passengers arriving into HKG, as well as oneworld emerald customers arriving on a CX flight. (No guests allowed.)

Unfortunately it’s nowhere near the limo or hotel transfer waiting areas, rather half way towards the other terminal, under the train station. (Via the corridor down between the A & B arrival posts, then down again on the escalators, and half way along a rather sparse corridor.)

001-entry.jpg

The Arrival - Lounge Entry

It is a fairly small & basic affair, but possibly useful if you want to freshen up after a long overnight flight.

100-viewleft.jpg

The Arrival - Lounge Area

101-viewright.jpg

The Arrival – Work Bench

102-selfserve.jpg

The Arrival – Snacks & Drinks

200-showerscorridor.jpg

The Arrival – Corridor to Shower Suites

320-vanity.jpg

Shower Suite - Vanity

300-showerhead.jpg

Shower Suite – Shower Head

302showerbasetoilet.jpg

Shower Suite – Shower Base

310-toilet.jpg

Shower Suite – Toilet with Floating Paper Roll

Want to Know More…

Anyway, that completes my CX100 new business class trip report. If you want to investigate a bit more about the new seat, here’s a link to a Cathay presentation on youtube -

[video=youtube;k-qeRWO0_0E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-qeRWO0_0E&feature=relmfu[/video]

And if you are interested in a time lapse presentation of the building and fit out of the brand new A330, which I flew on, check this out -

[video=youtube;aBAJKbr2Lds]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBAJKbr2Lds&feature=relmfu[/video]

Once again I am left with a sense of irony at being thankful to the Qantas CEO & Chairman for giving a free kick to their competitors, by removing Anytime Lounge Access and prompting me to change the way I fly.

I will most certainly be back onboard Cathay Pacific in the future, as it installs this New Business Class across its fleet!

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

A great report - thanks a lot! I too enjoy flying CX J class, in fact I've flown more CX J than QF!!

It was nice to see the changes with the middle seats, as previously I flew with their older style herringbone setup, which didn't really allow for anyone travelling with a partner to talk to them (although it was an overnight HKG-ADL flight, so sleep was #1 on my list that day!!).

And yes, their copious offerings of good scotch is very, very welcome. :mrgreen:

Looking forward to my chance of flying CX in their new J cabin soon.

well done - a brilliant sets of posts to make up your report.

I am in the same frame of mind re Qantas FF and will also let my Platty card go this year - ther are just too many better deals and service out there

Excellent report - thanks for sharing.

I travelled CX PER-HKG-FRA and return in Y earlier this month and wish I could be as complientary. The Y meals were fine, but the service on all four legs was hit-and-miss: great attention given to junior pax (4,9,11) but slow or non-existant response to mid-flight requests for drinks. And while the slide-foward/non-recline seats were not as bad as some have made out, they are a step backwards.

Not poor enough to make me consider flying QF, but the "experience" seemed a little less polished than my last trip with CX only 3 years previous.

541-closeup-interface.jpg

Business Seat Up Close – Interface

I found two disappointments with the electronic interfaces –
  • the USB interface is for powering electronics only, NOT for reading AV files (that you might have) and playing them through the seat’s AV systems (e.g. MP3, DivX, WMA files)
  • there are two video/sound connectors to play AV streams directly form your personal equipment through the seats systems. One is analogue (yellow, red & white plugs) and the other a proprietary Apple connection, it is unfortunate that CX didn’t choose the industry standard HDMI (which can be used with many different brands and products compatible with a High Definition output).
Which is the proprietary Apple connection? It looks like composite RCA, possibly S-Video, and USB. Is there something else there?

dk4

Great trip report - excellant photos.

Flew the old herringbone layout a couple of years ago with Mrs Paddy and we quite enjoyed the hard product, and loved the soft product.

The new seats really look good and, combined with the excellant CX service makes me look forward to flying again with them :)

Paddy

Thanks for the trip report - I have flown CX a lot and love them (except for the lack of status bonus). Its good to know that the food has improved or is adequate - it has been the most disappointing part of the CX experience for me recently.

Out of interest - why did you check in in the business rather than First queue? Was that part of the CX J experience?

Nice to see the refresh of the J lounge in SYD - now I know why I always go straight to the F lounge ;)

I have my first new CX J flight coming up in a couple of weeks.

Great report. It encourages me to fly CX next time around (although the chances of the new seating being on flts ex PER would not be great - or is that Perth Paranoia?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back