Card closure - annual fee or fee waiver? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Card closure - annual fee or fee waiver?

Infrequent

Intern
Family members with DJ Amex (Plat) cards have asked me how long they can keep their cards before getting hit with the next annual fee - or if they can try for fee rebate?

I would normally take the "cancel before the anniversary of card approval" approach, but this is probably too conservative!

Any experience on getting fees waived these days (I understand that old-style points incentives are banned these days)?

Thanks!

opusman

AFF Supporter
The fee will post to the statement that closes off the day before their anniversary date. E.g. if they opened the card 1st June '18, the fee would post to the statement that closes 31st May '19.

In the past I've had the fee withdrawn after it had posted if I hadn't used the card in the following statement period.

Infrequent

Intern
Thanks for that ... they certainly don't make it easy! (On the site you can eventually find reference to the fee being charged "in the month of", and to actually cancel online rather than over the phone ... good luck finding the option they don't want you to select!)

theblank

Established Member
Any experience on getting fees waived these days (I understand that old-style points incentives are banned these days)?
all incentives to not close a credit card are banned. If you open with "I want to cancel" they must cancel.

So dont say "I want to cancel" and try your luck.

pangwen

AFF Supporter
all incentives to not close a credit card are banned. If you open with "I want to cancel" they must cancel.

So dont say "I want to cancel" and try your luck.
I had a strange one when I tried this with my Explorer. I said everything except the word "cancel" (e.g. "it's coming up to renewal time, I'm not sure I see the value, is there anything you can do to help etc. etc.), but they wouldn't budge. So, I just thought "why not, I'll just go ahead and cancel anyway, I'll clean up my credit limit a bit". Went through with the cancellation, the agent (seemed to have) processed it pretty quickly. Then she turns around and says "I can see you've been a long term customer. If you sign up again (to the same card) immediately, we can offer you bonus points" (ended up being about 70k points I think?). I agreed (naturally, since that was what I was angling for originally). I received a cancellation confirmation letter in the mail, which the agent told me to ignore. I didn't get another hit on the credit file though, which was good.

Infrequent

Intern
Where are you finding that? I can't seem to see it anywhere.
In the FAQs section of the general website, under Fees & Charges, the question "When do I pay my card's annual fee?"
with the answer "Your annual Card fee will be charged in the month when you first activate your Account. This will then be charged in the month of your Card Membership anniversary for each year of Card Membership following. "

jasonfungsing

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I had a strange one when I tried this with my Explorer. I said everything except the word "cancel" (e.g. "it's coming up to renewal time, I'm not sure I see the value, is there anything you can do to help etc. etc.), but they wouldn't budge. So, I just thought "why not, I'll just go ahead and cancel anyway, I'll clean up my credit limit a bit". Went through with the cancellation, the agent (seemed to have) processed it pretty quickly. Then she turns around and says "I can see you've been a long term customer. If you sign up again (to the same card) immediately, we can offer you bonus points" (ended up being about 70k points I think?). I agreed (naturally, since that was what I was angling for originally). I received a cancellation confirmation letter in the mail, which the agent told me to ignore. I didn't get another hit on the credit file though, which was good.
Exactly the same happened to me yesterday. I called up to cancel Explorer card, which I don't really need. Agent cancelled my card, then told me I can get 70k bonus MR points if I reinstate it. I took the offer, points in my account today.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samzike