Card cancelled due to relationship to merchant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkl

Anyone had this problem with amex?

Had my card cancelled by AMEX this morning as I had "close relationship" with the business.
Running stock transactions between businesses owned by separate entities, only racked up about 15K in purchases.

I had even prepaid the bill

Yep been there - done that - albeit only with a warning and not cancelled - mistake I made was not getting Cruiserette to use her identical card - she retains maiden name - they would have been none the wiser.

That horse since bolted though - GST ruins many a good thing.

Yep been there - done that - albeit only with a warning and not cancelled - mistake I made was not getting Cruiserette to use her identical card - she retains maiden name - they would have been none the wiser.

That horse since bolted though - GST ruins many a good thing.

Apparently they crossed match my personal billing address with the company director last name, addresses etc etc

Especially with EDGE 3:1 supermarket spend. 45K MR was costing me only $180 bux in merchant fees

Apparently they crossed match my personal billing address with the company director last name, addresses etc etc

Especially with EDGE 3:1 supermarket spend. 45K MR was costing me only $180 bux in merchant fees

Or in other words you were using the card in breech of their T&C just to earn points by manufactured spend. Sounds like you have no case to dispute if that is the situation.

There have been quite a number of posts over the years on people being cuaght out on this.

Or in other words you were using the card in breech of their T&C just to earn points by manufactured spend. Sounds like you have no case to dispute if that is the situation.

There have been quite a number of posts over the years on people being cuaght out on this.

Not really when I have 2 businesses. Buying stock/goods from each other.
I could do a bank transfer/cheque etc. Im paying the merchant fees on the account. Least they let me transfer the points out before cancelling.

If you hold Directorship with said companies then it is indeed in breach of their Ts and Cs - no way around it - play by their rules or don't play.

If you hold Directorship with said companies then it is indeed in breach of their Ts and Cs - no way around it - play by their rules or don't play.

Thats the thing. I dont hold any directorship / shares etc. Just an employee who shares the same last name as the director.

They said I had a close relationship with the business. As in my parents are the directors. Even though Im listed as an employee of the company

Yep, I had this problem a few years back and got off with just a temporary freeze on the account and a slap on the wrist. I now do it with amex blessing. They will allow this to happen between a business and a management company (family trust). Not sure if they are still limiting it to doctor, dentist and vets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back